U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

20,997 posts, read 21,906,633 times
You should have no problem making it up in that many days. Last year Megansmom made it up from the east coast in 5 days with kids and pulling a trailer, she drove up a Suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:22 PM

164 posts, read 197,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
With a good supply of amphetamines or cocaine I don't think three days would be impossible. Its not about how quickly you can get there, its about the journey itself. Go at a pace that is comfortable to you.

hmmm....think the CBP will look the other way if I tell them I am to just to excited to get to my new home I didn't want to take the time for something silly like sleep...

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Does anyone know how much auto start cost to have installed up there? I am lookin at $250 to $300 here since my key has some little chip in it to make it more expensive (figures... ) But I can manage another KS winter without it but will want it up there since I won't have a garage.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 AM

103 posts, read 161,839 times
"...leaving the security of my job that I love and the family I will miss horribly I can't help but think it is a huge mistake but in my gut I know there is something more for me out there somewhere and I am never going to find it is I stay "safe".. "

Thank you for writing this! I'm in a similar pattern of thinking right now - I have accepted a job in Anchorage - same one I was laid off from last February after about 6 weeks - sounds stupid even to me, moving 4000 miles for a contract job that may very well play out. But sometimes you have to go with your gut. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Default You all win, I think I am throwing in the towel..

Sooo.. you win, all your warnings and advice have finally sunk in.. I am done, I just can't do it anymore. You can only kick a girl while she's down so many times before she don't want to get back up anymore.. I thought I was strong enough, I want to be strong enough but I was just a fool to think I was. Working 3 jobs and donating plasma 2 times a week to save up money for this impossible journey to your brilliant land has made me tired but yet I can not sleep. I haven't slept in over a week, I sit up at night thinking and planning, rethinking and replanning... I am just to tired to fight anymore.

This weekend was the kicker.. I like to think I am a resilient person and I can always fight my way forward but I just don't have the strength for it anymore I don't think.. I started my weekend off Friday coming home to my door being kicked in and all my things gone and would you believe it was the one day that I forgot my cell phone at home?? So all is lost yet again, everything I have worked for.. he didn't get any money this time (well except my change jar loser..) but it cost me half my savings (which was meager to begin with) to replace the items that had to be replaced and buy a new door. I decided to take my camper to my parents Friday night to park it for the winter and it took 3/4 tank of gas just to pull it 90 miles (could you imagine 4000???)

A great friend tried to brightin my mood with a road trip Sat. morning, we heading out to Canada, a dry run to see if I could get through the border knowing I have an old DUI on my record.. well you guessed it.. another kick to the gut.. do not pass go, don't collect $200.. But on the bright side, it was a nice drive.. though the only camera I had was my cell phone so I could take no pictures since someone thought they needed my phone worse than I did..

Soo.. I get to work this morning and thanks Warpt, Neph, Ray.. for posting yet again such beautiful pictures of a land I will never get to see with my own eyes.. a dream has faded.. I will never be good enough strong enough or brave enough to see what you all see every day, I am a KS girl and thats all I will ever be, the gods are against me when it comes to escaping, it is just not in my cards in this life time.

OK.. enough poor me bull ****.. I want to think all of you for entertaining yet another -48er's failed attempt to have a better, healthier life. I appreciate all your kind words and advice. Who knows maybe I will catch my break and something miraculous will happen and my plan will be back on but until the impossible happens Alaska will be in my dreams only. I will still haunt your forum, you all are great characters and I am glad I got a chance to see inside your world. I will keep looking, maybe Washington, I need mild weather, rain, snow and quite.. I'll take any suggestions from you worldly travelers.. I will find something more reasonable and suitable eventually I know I am strong enough for that.

Thanks again all!
B

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM

20,997 posts, read 21,906,633 times
Um, fly up?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Um, fly up?
That was something in the "planning, replanning" thoughts... I really don't have much to leave behind when it comes down to it.. there just things right.. but I kinda need my truck to.. And you all are right.. who the hell is going to hire me? there isn't even enough jobs to go around now and I hate to take away from a natives.. IDK.. things change, maybe something good will happen and my plans will be back on track... HA!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,419,030 times
OMG, I'm sorry to hear of your break-in. You seem to have the desire though, and with your kind of will power, you will make it. Have faith in yourself.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
OMG, I'm sorry to hear of your break-in. You seem to have the desire though, and with your kind of will power, you will make it. Have faith in yourself.
HA.. my 3rd this yr.. "faith" is getting hard to hold onto.

Have you ever just felt so out of place and unhappy in your life but yet stuck?? Thats about where I am at.. but I will do just as you said, if I can have faith in myself, I can do anything.. now where did I put that damn thing...

Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,765,873 times
Hugs B. Hold on tight to the dream! I know better than anyone that sometimes the hope is the only reason to get up in the morning. In the past 3 years of actively planning, I have had the AK rug yanked out from under me more times than I care to think (and here I sit in a holding pattern again), but if you know in your heart where you are meant to be, it is possible to make your dream come true. You and I will make it there eventually, have faith in yourself! And get some dadgum renters insurance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska