U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times

Advertisements

3rd break-in in a year? Wow. That's some neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 AM

164 posts, read 276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
3rd break-in in a year? Wow. That's some neighborhood.

Not a bad neighborhood... just a physco ex that can't deal with the fact that I am doing better without him then I did the whole 10 yrs I was with him... man are asses...

Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Hugs B. Hold on tight to the dream! I know better than anyone that sometimes the hope is the only reason to get up in the morning. In the past 3 years of actively planning, I have had the AK rug yanked out from under me more times than I care to think (and here I sit in a holding pattern again), but if you know in your heart where you are meant to be, it is possible to make your dream come true. You and I will make it there eventually, have faith in yourself! And get some dadgum renters insurance!

Hey thanks! By the way... heard bout that job yet? I take it not??? I'm sorry.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,382,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
Not a bad neighborhood... just a physco ex that can't deal with the fact that I am doing better without him then I did the whole 10 yrs I was with him... man are asses...
"KICKS physco ex" hang in there...many many of us have had the Alaska plans rug yanked out from under us many times.... it will happen!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,506,698 times
The manager keeps telling me they should have the offer together and approved in a few days, but they have been saying this for a month now, I'm starting to lose hope, not sure why they tell me one thing but then it doesn't materalize. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,167,164 times
Quote:
Maybe you need to move in with friends or family for a while to help with saving, incognito from the psycho until you can pull your plan together? Sorry to hear about the latest fiasco!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Maybe you need to move in with friends or family for a while to help with saving, incognito from the psycho until you can pull your plan together? Sorry to hear about the latest fiasco!

I wish I could, don't have any family around here close enough and most of my friends have lives.. ha.. (i.e. married and kids) so that is out.. I am pretty much stuck, but I do have a better out look today then I did the other day.. not counting myself out completely yet, talked to my connection in Anchorage and she was encouraging but I still have a lot to sort through.. Main concern is to get the restraining order extended for another yr till I can get out of here but I don't think the judge will fight me on it.. Happier note I get to go to Atlanta at the end of the month to work a race!!! Paid vacation!! And my first time on a plain and in a taxi... for a 30yr old.. its all kinda exciting!!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
The manager keeps telling me they should have the offer together and approved in a few days, but they have been saying this for a month now, I'm starting to lose hope, not sure why they tell me one thing but then it doesn't materalize. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Some people just don't move at the speed we want them to, I am sure it is getting annoying with your life hanging in the balance like it has been, would drive me crazy!! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, one of us needs a success story!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,576,433 times
You have to really think about what you want out of life. Sometimes to achieve a goal extreme measures need to be taken. I was born and raised in Alaska but left the state for similar reasons to what you are going through. I was stuck in a state that I did not fully appreciate-Arkansas- for 14 years, and then lived in Oregon for five years. After yearning to move back to Alaska for ages, and planning and replanning how I was going to do it, I was forced to decide: do you want to live in Alaska, or do you want to never try. The obstacles toward me moving back were no job prospects, didn't really know anyone after all that time that could help me, being a single parent, and limited financial resources. I had no idea of how I could afford to get my stuff up here. I, too, didn't think that I would be able to drive through Canada. What I ended up doing was getting rid of almost everything I owned, including my vehicle, buying plane tickets for me and the kids, and heading up with everything up in the air. I did have a place to stay and it sounds like you do too. I know that is kind of foolish but since I am an Alaskan I figured at least I knew what I was getting into. Long story short, things have all worked out perfectly. How much is your truck worth, maybe you could buy a vehicle up here?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,852,154 times
Quote:
A great friend tried to brightin my mood with a road trip Sat. morning, we heading out to Canada, a dry run to see if I could get through the border knowing I have an old DUI on my record.. well you guessed it.. another kick to the gut.. do not pass go, don't collect $200.. But on the bright side, it was a nice drive.. though the only camera I had was my cell phone so I could take no pictures since someone thought they needed my phone worse than I did..
Was your conviction more than 5 years ago? If so, you can be deemed rehabilitated. Here are a couple of link to research:

Overcoming criminal inadmissibility (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp#deemed - broken link)

Frequently asked questions: Overcoming criminal inadmissibility (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp - broken link)

In any case, I would contact them prior to crossing. Also, I think the border agent has final say in the matter, but it will be more difficult to be denied if you have all documents in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or