U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

164 posts, read 277,835 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted my desire of wanting to move to Alaska last week, I have only gotten one comment back and I appreciate it very much but I am at an impasse now and would really like some outside opinions if any of you have time.. I have it narrowed down to 3 towns that I would like to make my home, Sterling, Kenai or Palmer.. can anyone share info on these towns, and maybe which one would be the best fit for me? Is the job market good, is it easy to find a place to rent, is the community welcoming, anything that will help me make up my mind so I can start concentrating more on my move as opposed to where I am moving... make since? Thanks for all your help, it means a lot... Can't believe I have to suffer through one more Kansas summer... blah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,045,534 times
Do you already have a job lined up? That would help to determine where you should move.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM

20,536 posts, read 26,707,551 times
Barkely is right....several posters on this forum have mentioned that the employment prospects in those areas are pretty dim right now. I've had real life friends from the Valley tell me the same thing.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM

No I don't, I am still saving the money for the move so I don't see any use in looking yet, I will probably be next spring by the time I have the money and since I am assuming it probably would not be smart for me to try to drive there in the dead of winter.. I really just want to settle my mind on the town so I can concentrate more on that town and my options there. I am new at this, I have never done anything like this before, but I am a very determined person when I set my mind to it...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
No I don't, I am still saving the money for the move so I don't see any use in looking yet, I will probably be next spring by the time I have the money and since I am assuming it probably would not be smart for me to try to drive there in the dead of winter.. I really just want to settle my mind on the town so I can concentrate more on that town and my options there. I am new at this, I have never done anything like this before, but I am a very determined person when I set my mind to it...
How old are you? What kind of work are you looking for?

You might consider doing something seasonal for the summer, to get a feel for Alaska and get a chance to visit all the places that you've mentioned. Often seasonal workers who get involved with the locals end up being offered year round work. You might want to look at the Bob Blockus thread in the Anchorage forum for some ideas.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,317,778 times
Quote:
In that case, of your three choices I would recommend Palmer simply because it will give you access to the larger population centers (Mat-Su and Anchorage), increasing your chances to find employment.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM

I am 29, and thanks for the advice, I had been thinking of going the "seasonal" route since it will be the right time frame, though I know AK is where I want to live for sure, I just don't want to live in a large city like Anchorage, I want a small town and good people to surround my life without the stress of the city, but willing to drive for work. Thanks for your comments! I have been reading all the threads that are on here and have gotten a lot of insight and everyone seems really nice and greatful to live in such a beautiful part of the country, can't wait till I can wake up in the morning and see it with my own eyes every day...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:49 PM

This was my original post...... Thanks again for any advise

Hello, I am looking to move to Alaska within the next yr.; currently saving the money for the move and doing what research I can. I do not have the financial means to be able to visit first, though I can see the benefit of that it would set my move back. I am looking at the Kenai or Sterling areas mostly but have yet to set my mind. Does anyone have any helpful updated info or advice. I am a 29yr old single female, I will be driving there with what possessions I can fit in my truck and my 2 cats as my navigators; I want to rent a home I am just looking to have some adventure and try something I thought I would never have the nerve to do and hopefully have a happier more fulfilled life. As far as my skills in the job force, I can and am willing to learn anything, I have done a little bit of everything from farm hand to cook to cashier to currently being in Accounts Payable for 5 yrs now and would really like to do something a little more active but always have the knowledge to fall back on, This is really about me recreating me.
And before you comment.. yes I know its cold there.. yes I know it rains and snows.. I will actually enjoy all that very much..and hey.. try living in Kansas for 29 yrs., you would understand why I have always dreamed of Alaska...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I am 29, and thanks for the advice, I had been thinking of going the "seasonal" route since it will be the right time frame, though I know AK is where I want to live for sure, I just don't want to live in a large city like Anchorage, I want a small town and good people to surround my life without the stress of the city, but willing to drive for work. Thanks for your comments! I have been reading all the threads that are on here and have gotten a lot of insight and everyone seems really nice and greatful to live in such a beautiful part of the country, can't wait till I can wake up in the morning and see it with my own eyes every day...
Well what you're wanting to do isn't impossible--plenty of seasonal jobs around the places you've mentioned. I'm going to suggest that you look into Girdwood as well, because they have a big ski resort there and thus more chances for a seasonal worker to be able to stay for the winter.

I don't know that I can just blindly recommend this, but I do know a couple of people around your age who just threw everything into their vehicle, drove to Girdwood and found work the day they got there. Not that it's a mecca for employment, but the population of the town itself isn't large enough to accomadate the needs of the resorts. It's a pretty good area and about 30 miles south of Anchorage. You might want to try going to Aleyska's website and look around for some ideas; there is a jobs link at the bottom of the page.

Ski Vacations / Ski resorts in Alaska - Alyeska Resort (http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10805 - broken link)

I do understand that rentals are quite expensive there; you might have to room with people.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,098,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
In that case, of your three choices I would recommend Palmer simply because it will give you access to the larger population centers (Mat-Su and Anchorage), increasing your chances to find employment.
The unemployment rate in Kenai and Sterling is higher than Palmer and your housing options become very limited there. Palmer would be a better choice as mentioned by MW.

You may also want to consider Anchorage on a short-term basis and then explore those areas once your here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or