U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 AM

8 posts, read 17,893 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover this Floyd! Do have any references?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,419,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefox2hotmail View Post
I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover this Floyd! Do have any references?!
What sort of references do you need. Did you want a violin or a piano at the services?

Hmmm... we might find a trumpet too, for when you take a dip?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,893 times
Cool How about...

reference from a sober person? (If you know any) I prefer tubas and bagpipes. Can you hook me up?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Joe isn't exactly a recluse, though in some ways he lives like one. He has no room for himself, but he's never home anyway! He's a wirey fellow with a metabolism that goes about 100 miles an hour. The only person more energetic is his mother, Fran. At 80 years old she can runs circles around anyone. Joe used to deliver water with a truck, and as a result he literally knows everybody in town, and all of their nasty habits. He's a genuine character!
I just happened to mention, an hour ago, to another fellow that I have sold his rear end to the highest bidder for a 4-wheeler ride to the point. He didn't flinch, so looks like we can make this work if need be.

Don't worry about polar bears. We simply boot one passenger off and skeedaddle down the trail a ways before stopping to take pictures. It works every time.

Ouch.

Actually, it's sort of hit or miss to see aurora here because we have cloudy skys most of the time, particularly in the early winter when viewing is good otherwise. In February and March can also be good, but it is usually bitter cold then.
I'm real hard to find! Stop by Sam&Lees restaurant, which is about 1 short block from your hotel. Ask anyone who looks Korean where I'm at.
Pfffffft!!, about Joe Tate. I've watched a show about life in Barrow from Jim Cantore, showing Joe.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,523,348 times
Yup... I agree pfffftt!!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,293,299 times
Saw it on TV? Wow, even better than reading about it on the Internet.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,112,072 times
Looks like a snowstorm in Barrow...

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/wxdata/179-25310.jpg (broken link)

Edit: Nope, freezing fog.

Not sure if these automatically update once posted to a website like the sea ice camera pictures do.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,310,488 times
Default OMG Floyd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
That is good to hear... because I was figuring on taking pictures of you turning blue at the gills when you get your head wet. But that takes just one exposure, and then I'd be bored with nothing to do. If your better half is good looking though, I could take pictures of the expression on her face! Ahhhhh, that has some real human interest possibilities, eh??? :-)

On to serious stuff...

Not big. He lives on the second floor and has a large double garage on the ground floor (which once upon a time held a couple 2-1/2 ton water trucks). A reasonable tour will take 30-45 minutes. Longer if you have a particular interest in old ivory, ancient tools, or that sort of thing, or if you just like to get Joe talking.I highly recommend going with Sam. He's about 60 or so, was born and raised here, and has the ability to articulate his rather extensive knowledge. I've gone out there on a couple of trips with him, and we get going on all sorts of things and it is really fun.

On the other hand. Seriously, if you cannot get a regular tour I can probably get both of you out there on 4-wheelers (I'll guarantee one, and probably can find somebody else that will haul the other one). It means you'd see it, but the "discussion" wouldn't be nearly as good as you'd get with a regular tour in a van where talking is easy.Well, that is precisely the reason you'd want to schedule things differently!

Think about it in a different way. It is going to cost you an arm and a leg just to get to Alaska. So once you've invested that much into getting here, you want your money's worth. One way is to rent a vehicle and tour the highways. People drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back, or down to Kenai or Valdez. All fabulous.

The problem is that while fabulous, it is also exactly the small part of Alaska that is the most similar to the Lower-48! You can drive the same number of miles through almost any part of the Lower-48 and see things that are also fabulous in much the same way. They are a little different, but with a few exceptions they really aren't much different.

If you spend that much to get to Alaska, why not go see the part of Alaska that isn't like anything anywhere in the Lower-48? Get on a plane and spend as much time as possible in Bethel, Kotzebue, or Barrow. If you are really adventurous try finding a way to spend some time in one or two smaller villages. Kipnuk is a place where the kids all speak Yup'ik. Point Hope is a wonderful place to visit if you can find a place to stay. And there are many other villages (like, a couple hundred or so) that have their own charm.

The thing about all of those places though, is that they really are distinctly different than the Lower-48. They are uniquely Alaskan. And that is an adventure which will make the money you spend to get to Alaska worth every penny.
That is exactly where I want to visit myself.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM

351 posts, read 581,110 times
Snow storm????? Just a little - waiting for the blizzards ...

Though there is a nice layer of snow all around, several inches. It's almost winter. Just waiting for the temps to drop to something nice like at least -10F then it will really be winter. Right now they are hovering just around freezing 20 - 30F, making the roads a bit slick. But every night it drops a couple of degrees.

Had some nice waves on the beach this past week - great breakers. Could even hear them from my house near the airport - clear as a bell - actually they kind of sounded like a plane taking off or the scrapers clearing the roads, but they were definitely waves.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 PM

4,320 posts, read 3,523,348 times
The wind.. is what brings the snow to the villages. When it snows for the most part it is always 'horizontal'.. It sure takes a bit to get used to.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska