U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,442 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Georgia to Barrow, Alaska, and I'm encountering 2 potential problems: the first is there doesn't seem anything online available to rent in Barrow (for that matter, it seems there are no houses for sale either) and is there any need for paralegal work there? My husband has secured a job there, but I have not as of yet.

Any help or suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,416,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrussian View Post
My family is moving from Georgia to Barrow, Alaska, and I'm encountering 2 potential problems: the first is there doesn't seem anything online available to rent in Barrow (for that matter, it seems there are no houses for sale either) and is there any need for paralegal work there? My husband has secured a job there, but I have not as of yet.

Any help or suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
The best you can do from a distance would be to discuss housing with your hubby's employer. They will be in a vastly better position to work something out than you can do from a distance. (Virtually everything here is done on a very local basis.)

One other thing you can try, though it probably will have no effect, is to call Fran Tate (try 2-4 PM our time, or 7-10 PM) at 907-852-8200. Fran owns Pepe's Restaurant, but she has several rentals too. I know that over the past year or so any time I've seen anyone ask her she basically laughs and says everyone is looking. The deal is, you'll probably be able to find one once you are here, maybe in a few hours maybe in a few days. But it requires being here.

As for a paralegal... I'm not really sure. The court system has at least one or two. There is at least one attorney in private practice here. I'm not sure how many of the large companies have an attorney on staff here (UIC and ASRC, for example, might), or if any of them use a paralegal. Likewise the North Slope Borough and the City of Barrow are potential employers, but I do not know specifically what they have.

One thing I can tell you is that the State of Alaska Court system has trained their own here, and has had a relatively high turnover rate. I can think of perhaps 4 in the last 10 years or so. But I know at least one of them working there today, and I'd be amazed if she isn't there ten years from now too...

Feel free to ask questions. You can also send me a Direct Message and we can take it to email if you'd rather have a private conversation.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or