U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times
Reputation: 3975

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megensmom View Post
I have been online for the last 2 hours trying to find out the season,location that I can catch them from shore,and size limits,etc. I have found mostly old information and 1000000000 hits for Deadliest Catch.
We would also like to do some shrimping. Can anyone help me with some good information that isn't 3yrs old?
Hummmm, let's see....now....back in the 60's I was stationed on the W.Coast and there was a cat house in Tijuana that was quite famous for it's crabs. This was only rumor, of course, never been there myself..... sorry, couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 19,595,646 times
Reputation: 6479
I haven't fished for crab since the 1990s, but you used to be able to catch them from shore between Homer and Ninilchik. You take a regular fishing pole and a herring head, wrap the head up in a ball of fishing line and toss it as far out as possible, then wait. No hooks are required. When the King crab go after the herring head, their spines get caught in the bundle of fishing line. Then you just pull them in. Granted, you only catch one at a time, and it isn't always successful. Sometimes the crab gets the herring head and gets away. But if you don't have a boat or crab pots, this is the next best thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 10,383,785 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Shoot me or akvarmit a PM when your ready and we will pack a tent and head for the inlet..
next summer your on for this trip!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM
 
20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Reputation: 13119
Someone brought me some crab last night; I'm allergic so I gave it to the neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM
 
1,329 posts, read 2,506,947 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I haven't fished for crab since the 1990s, but you used to be able to catch them from shore between Homer and Ninilchik. You take a regular fishing pole and a herring head, wrap the head up in a ball of fishing line and toss it as far out as possible, then wait. No hooks are required. When the King crab go after the herring head, their spines get caught in the bundle of fishing line. Then you just pull them in. Granted, you only catch one at a time, and it isn't always successful. Sometimes the crab gets the herring head and gets away. But if you don't have a boat or crab pots, this is the next best thing.
When I lived in Houston we would go crabbing the same way, but with a chicken back. Or just tie the chicken back on a really long piece of twine, throw in out as far as you could and draw it in real slow, the crabs would follow and you scoop them up in a net. The kids had a ball, and it was great gumbo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
right here on CDF i crab all the time, i no longer have to go all the way to lake pontchartrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Reputation: 10300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
When I lived in Houston we would go crabbing the same way, but with a chicken back. Or just tie the chicken back on a really long piece of twine, throw in out as far as you could and draw it in real slow, the crabs would follow and you scoop them up in a net. The kids had a ball, and it was great gumbo!
That sounds like fun.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
Reputation: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Someone brought me some crab last night; I'm allergic so I gave it to the neighbor.
OUCH! That is sad..... maybe dipped in warm butter will help the allergic stuff a bit... Some wine couldn't hurt either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
 
20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Reputation: 13119
Wine never hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Reputation: 10300
Benadryl poured into the wine, with crab and butter...it is a good thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top