U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I Crazy To Drive My New Convertible Mercedes To Alaska For Three Months This Summer?
you will be fine-drive your car and have fun 11 35.48%
you are nuts-your car will be destroyed 3 9.68%
you are nuts-people will try to run you off the road because they will think you are a stupid and arrogant tourist 1 3.23%
you should be fine but you may have to drive slow in a few areas 5 16.13%
you may get a few rock chips here and there in the paint 16 51.61%
you may have to rent a car for a few of your trips 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm totally nuts considering driving a 2007 Mercedes SLK 280 to Alaska and back this summer. I would drive back to the United States in late September. My plan is to take the Marine Highway and make a few stops along the way and then spend some time driving around Alaska and spending a month or so in a few areas of interest. Then I would come back down on the highway through Canada instead of the Marine Highway in late summer. I wouldn't mind renting a car for a few days here and there if I am in an area that really requires something with higher ground clearance. Any thoughts or comments? I don't want to destroy this gorgeous car ... also, is this kind of a car something that is going to make people look at me a little funny or do damage to my car just for spite for driving something so ostentatious in Alaska.? Thank you for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I Crazy To Drive My New Convertible Mercedes To Alaska For Three Months This Summer?-p1010009-reduced-size.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,342,249 times
I've seen all types of vehicles on the Alcan and around Alaska. People even have Porches and higher end cars. It'll be fine on the highway, just slow down a tad where you see rough road signs on the side of the highway.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,182,442 times
I hope you don't plan on driving the marine highway, as that could be really hard on that car...

Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,041,555 times
Do remember to bring the top as it will rain

One thing to take into consideration are your tires. Based on what you are driving, I am guessing it has rather expensive high performance tires. If you need to replace one while out in the middle of nowhere you will learn what expensive really is.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM

20,463 posts, read 26,595,212 times
Some of the best roads to explore are gravel--and from what I understand the rental car companies don't want you to take their cars on them. I think your car would be fun to ride around in on the main highways but you'll be limited in where you can go; you won't want it all dinged up.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,087,289 times
While in Alaska, you might want to avoid telling people you're driving back to the United States in September.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,980,801 times
LOL Chilkoot didn't you know that Alaska isn't part of the United States.
Believe it falls under that other category....kinda like Guam.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,294,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I hope you don't plan on driving the marine highway, as that could be really hard on that car...
Should be fine - It's a German car with plenty of U-Boat heritage!

Seriously though, many people have nice convertibles that they drive in the summer up here. Some even put them in storage in the winter and only bring them out for a few months in the summer. To me, that is even wierder than what you are planning.

Probably the main concern you'll find, as Met pointed out, is potential rock damage. It's not uncommon at all up here to replace a windshield every couple years or so. Just check with your insurance company. My deductible for a new windshield is $100. So at the end of your trip it costs you a few bucks for a new windshield. Big Deal!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,041,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
LOL Chilkoot didn't you know that Alaska isn't part of the United States.
Believe it falls under that other category....kinda like Guam.
We have been saying Alaska is not part of the U.S. for years.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,960,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaorbroke View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm totally nuts considering driving a 2007 Mercedes SLK 280 to Alaska and back this summer.
Why, is there something wrong with it?

Chevy, Ford, Chrysler and even the Rice Rockets make it here with no problems, back and forth...

Am I missing something? Do you feel that a 2007 Mercedes SLK 280 is inferior to the other cars that have no problems?

The Al-Can is pretty much paved the entire way except for the areas under construction and you drive slower there to avoid rock chips... Unless of course you have a full sized pickup, then you can drive fast and fling rocks at all the other cars....

Give you fair warning though, sadly most of the Canadian Mechanics only speak French and can only work work on French cars... Since German Engineering invaded France some 60 years ago, they never got over it...

Quote:
I don't want to destroy this gorgeous car ... also, is this kind of a car something that is going to make people look at me a little funny or do damage to my car just for spite for driving something so ostentatious in Alaska.?
Yep, everyone will look at you funny... That is a department inside the State of Alaska, division of Tourism, to make you feel uncomfortable so you won't want to move here for driving anything but a full sized pickup... I just hate the government...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or