U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times

Advertisements

Does Alaska Air Cargo allow people to ship to you on your account? For example, ff you ordered something from Northern Tool or Goodmans, and they normally ship UPS (or whatever), will AA Cargo allow them to drop it off at the airport to ship on your account instead? Just wondering if it can be used just for you to send somewhere, not for somewhere to send to you. (I only ask because we have some heavy/volatile stuff we want to order that would cost us way more to UPS [with their stupid regulations and over-charges] than to Air Cargo)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:07 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,962,198 times
Default hazmat

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of things that just plain can't be shipped by air, whether it's UPS next day, Fedex, Express Mail, or Alaska Air Cargo. It doesn't matter who's name is on the plane, the FAA regulates what can and what can't be shipped in airplanes.

Everyone knows (or should know) that you can't ship gasoline or other flammable liquids by air, or dynamite, or high pressure oxygen tanks, or fireworks, and the reasons are pretty obvious. However, even stuff that you consider an every-day object can be considered hazardous material that is inelegible to be shipped by air. Simple things like a mercury thermometer, (liquid mercury rapidly weakens aluminum if it spills), or strong magnets in certain types of electric motors (messes with aircraft compass) or even fish boxes with dry ice(converts to large volumes of CO2 gas, can be an asphyxiant) or even weird stuff like frozen bull semen can be considered "hazmat". You have to actually read the handouts and the postings at the air cargo office, and if you get caught lying on the forms the penalties can be pretty stiff.

Firearms themselves aren't considered hazmat, but their ammunition and components(gunpowder, primers) can be. There are exceptions for carrying moderate quantities of loaded ammo in the right packaging. The issue with shipping firearms is mostly a legal one, and mostly related to the various federal gun control acts.

UPS has heartburn about the fact that they can't just dump a package with a gun at the door. They're supposed to be delivered only to an actual person, not just abandoned at the (supposedly) right address in the typical UPS fashion.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Well, I just found out that my year's supply of emergency food may not be legal to take through Canada. Mostly it's the quantity, but also because I can't prove what the country of origin is for some of anymore (I've repacked some of the stuff). What a serious PITA! Not only are my guns and ammo causing problems, but now my food?!?

All the cabins are full from Bellingham to Juneau, and there are no vehicle berths left from Juneau to Whittier... so that leaves out taking the ferry. Now I'm faced with sending everything up by ship and then dinking around getting it from Anchorage to Fairbanks... which is retarded because it really isn't that much stuff. Or sending the food and firearms up by Air Cargo to Fairbanks. Arggggg... it wasn't this complicated the last two times I made this move!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,978,555 times
FYI you can ship most classes of hazmat via Fedex. There are exceptions but we do move the majority of the overnight hazardous materials. (I work there and part of my job is haz inspections).
You just have to comply with the Fedex and IATA regulations on shipping and packaging. Which is something that majority of lay people don't have the knowledge to do.

Certain items can only be shipped by approved vendors who have licenses to ship these specific
items..fireworks for example.
We do ship gasoline, certain classes of explosives (not most), ammunition, all the way to toxics and flammables. Rotorhead is correct in the guns in one box and ammo in another. This is not for hazmat purposes rather stems from federal/state laws (such as ATF).
Dry ice is a favorite as every Mom & Pop goes out gets a cooler, some dry ice and then loads up food for a kid in college to ship off. When they get to me they are clueless to the quantity of
dry ice they used which is required to be declared. As Rotorhead noted is necessary to know so we do not load a potentially dangerous amount on a truck or aircraft.
LOL I don't get the bull semen but every week I do get a big cooler of porcine semen (yep the pig flies!).

Old 06-11-2009, 09:43 PM

6,905 posts, read 11,692,577 times
Got to Northland Serivces in Seattle and ship all this stuff up on the barge. Then just pick it up when you get there. Anchorage is a little bit out of the way but it would sure save a lot of headaches and worries..

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Got to Northland Serivces in Seattle and ship all this stuff up on the barge. Then just pick it up when you get there. Anchorage is a little bit out of the way but it would sure save a lot of headaches and worries..
Yeah, Northland was good to me last time, and saving my aching head is soooo worth it! Besides, DH has only been to Fairbanks... might be nice to take the drive and let him see more of the state

Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,167,164 times
We went through the same with driving up a couple years ago...all the fish he brought home from vacation that May went to kids...no potatoes in Canada....My mom gave me baby reds we had to eat before... I also took some fresh dillweed from her to go with them...I had in frig, and they asked what it was because shriveling...Canned stuff I had they did not question, but what we brought was scaled down, then redid here....I had flour tub, dried beans and peas, rice....rule of fresh potatoes pee'd me off...

Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Granny - none of our food is fresh... it's all dried stuff in mylar vac bags and buckets, but almost none of it is in original packaging. But when I was looking at the Canadian customs site, they were whining about a food weight limit... and we sure have more food than that! I have a call in to them, but I have to wait for the manager to call me back, because no one on duty could answer whether it mattered that the food was "preserved" vs. "fresh", etc etc. What a PITA! I'm so not getting rid of $5k of dry staples and canned goods just to get to Alaska through Canada. I doubt they'd let me cross the border with 70 buckets LOL! Not like you can really hide them

Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Granny - none of our food is fresh... it's all dried stuff in mylar vac bags and buckets, but almost none of it is in original packaging. But when I was looking at the Canadian customs site, they were whining about a food weight limit... and we sure have more food than that! I have a call in to them, but I have to wait for the manager to call me back, because no one on duty could answer whether it mattered that the food was "preserved" vs. "fresh", etc etc. What a PITA! I'm so not getting rid of $5k of dry staples and canned goods just to get to Alaska through Canada. I doubt they'd let me cross the border with 70 buckets LOL! Not like you can really hide them
I feel for ya...let us know what you find out...will be interesting, I went into a panic and brought only what I felt I could let them have...the rest I shipped in the boxes we sent...so that might have to be the option to be safe... $5K is to much to drain...would pay to ship...and still cheaper than buying new up here for sure...

Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
i dont understand why you dont pack them up and put them in the car. i have transported much hunting equipment across state lines and it was reported in a proper manner perfectly ok to transport in a vehicle properly stored.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-11-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska