U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,978,326 times

Advertisements

Hiya Missing,

Found this on the Canadian Border site, if you have a call in to BIS (border information service)
they may be able to offer you the "tie down and seal" on your containers.
Worth the try.
In-transit travel through Canada

If you are an American resident, you can transport goods through Canada to the United States. To simplify the clearance process, carry three copies of the list of goods you are transporting. The list should include the value of the goods and serial numbers (if applicable). You should pack consumable goods such as alcohol, tobacco and food in containers that the border services officers can tie and seal when you arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times
Good tip JerseyKat! All the food is in sealed buckets or boxes of #10 cans so it would be easy for them to tie down and seal as long as they didn't have some problem with the contents. I'll call BIS about it.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Huckleberry - some rifles and shotguns are allowed back and forth between Canada and US with the proper documentation and declaration; but some of them aren't and none of the handguns are... so those must be properly transported (i.e. shipped). Crossing between countries isn't anything like crossing between states.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:52 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,978,326 times
Missingall4 if you purchased the dry goods and supplies from a vendor you should have a shipping order or packing list of everything you ordered. That might expedite the border crossing as they could accept this a commercial invoice.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM

I ordered everything from a vendors bulk and then repackaged into vac bags, mylar and buckets myself because we like a month's worth of several things in each bucket rather than having several buckets of a year's worth of one thing. I still have the original bills of lading from the vendors, as well as our "packing list" with the contents of every bucket. Hopefully, that will be good enough for the border patrol.

Geez... maybe they can just seal the whole darned trailer for the entire 5 days we'll be in their country!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM

374 posts, read 979,504 times
Default Update on gun shipping

Well, as an update, Alaska Airlines WOULD have been a good option if we had planned better. It takes about two months to become a 'known shipper' after which you can mail guns. We leave next week! So anyway, we will suck it up and mail to a dealer.

Thanks for all the info!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Well crap!! That totally blows. The 2-month time frame screws us up, too Looks like we'll be looking at FFL shipping or some other licensed transportation method as well.

Good luck on your move next week!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:43 PM

6,905 posts, read 11,692,577 times
I just got off of the phone with Alaska Airlines Air Cargo in Seattle. You don't have to be a known shipper if you are shipping from Seattle to Anchorage or Fairbanks. If you are not a known shipper then your shipments must go on a "cargo only" flight.

Very nice lady explained all this to me cause I was miffed by MeganAK's answer. The cargo lady said that the FAA is in the middle of revamping its "known shipper" requirements. She said that many of us who were previously listed as known shippers have been dropped from the list. She also said it would be very difficult for an individual to become a known shipper at the present time.

So if you are going through Seattle you can still ship your firearms from their air freight office. She said since these were freight only flights they would not guarantee next day delivery.

You'd have to drive pretty darn fast to get from Seattle to Anchorage in one day.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM

LOL - thanks Stiffnecked! No, I don't think we'd be able to drive from Seattle to Fairbanks in a day in any vehicle even close to street-legal

I'll check with them about shipping air freight instead, and what their epxected delivery windows are. If it's a week, that's cool... if it's "whenever we get around to it - no guarantees" that might be a big problem!!

It just figures that everyone will be changing their darned laws and regulations right when we're tring to move. Murphy's at work again!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 AM

374 posts, read 979,504 times
We called AK Air today and they told us we had to be a known shipper, probably because I asked about Anchorage to Minneapolis. We are NOT going through Seattle, unfortunately. Anyway, I don't know what we are going to do. UPS doesn't seem to want to let us ship the handguns ourselves to ourselves, and may not let us ship to an FFL. They seem to want us to go FFL to FFL which is going to be so expensive. Also, if we have to ship UPS to a dealer, will my husband have to go through the background check to pick them up, like he would if he was buying them? And if so, you can't 'buy' two handguns in a day. I'm so stressed. Sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska