U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,979,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Barking - No Doubt!! Thank God for small miracles. We just want to get out of the Lower 48 before some nimrod decides to make any of our current weapons "restricted"!
I'm going to be taking an M16/AR15 Armorers class in Chugiak this September. It is the only place in this country where I can take this course since I'm not in law enforcement or in the military. Not that that matters of course. I've been debating different ways to get my AR15 up for the class, & I've gotten a lot of good answers. But I think I'm going to have my FFL ship to the FFL where the class is being held just out of convienence. I doubt it'll cost any more than checking an extra bag on AA. Plus I won't have to worry about it getting stolen.

The instructor wants students to bring their own weapons so that we can work on our own guns & repair anything that needs repairing during the class. If things get worse down here, all of my weapons will be fast tracked to Wasilla should the need arise to stay with their godparents. They are also great friends & I'll be staying with them when I come up in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,373,164 times
FFL shouldn't be too expensive, just a hassle if there a delay on the handguns for the 4473 Form, etc. Don't want to drive 4 hours into Fairbanks every week to pick up another gun that I already $&%$# OWN. *SIGH* Bureaucracy really blows.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,979,593 times
btw Missing as the packages are not marked as firearms the station in anchorage or fairbanks actually doens't care what is in the box at the receiving point. they only care that the item is signed for by the person whose name is on the package. most fedex will hold for 5 days from the date they receive the package, so if they get it on monday they will hold thru friday.
but if you call and are having problems picking up you can make arrangements for delivery or for possibly holding longer.
fyi...if you are shipping handguns and rifles would recommend ground for the rifles as the service is cheap compared to express. as ground is obviously driven they can't ship handguns (canada prohibition).

Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Two of our rifles and two of our our shotguns are also restricted in Canada... would that be the same problem as the handguns if we shipped them Ground?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Huckleberry - some rifles and shotguns are allowed back and forth between Canada and US with the proper documentation and declaration; but some of them aren't and none of the handguns are... so those must be properly transported (i.e. shipped). Crossing between countries isn't anything like crossing between states.
most interesting so you cant travel from AK to washington without it counting as an entry and exit from canada? AK is then landlocked in a sense. is it legal and permitted to go by boat from ak to washington with stored weapons with no entry thru canada?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Yes, you have to go through Canada if you're traveling by road between AK and the Lower 48 US States... as you can see on this map.

In most cases, you may transport your weapons as checked baggage on a plane or ship departing and arriving in the US (to or from AK) as long as you do not have access to the weapons and they are not removed from the vessel in another country during travel.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,979,593 times
My apologies as I have just found out we can't do firearms to Alaska via ground services.
(this is scary because my location has been taking these shipments).
Was just at dinner with some employees from Ground and mentioned this thread. Half said we could, the others said no, so we resorted to calling up the food chain to get the official say.
Found that all firearms to AK must go Express services. Yes the guides and websites say firearms are o.k. (not handguns) but there is an Alaska clause that is not noted under the firearm section.
Don't you just love bureacracy.
Again I'm sorry about the mix-up.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,855,747 times
Temperature rising -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opinion/14rich.html

Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 PM

11 posts, read 62,646 times
FFL dealers can ship to Alaska dealers via priority mail, costs less than either UPS or FEDEX, your dealer must fill out the proper form with USPS, but it is a viable option.

As for the 1 handgun every 5 days (actually it's in a 7 day period) if you picked up all of them the same day the dealer is required to fill out a multiple purchase form, which he can attach a separate sheet or note on the form that the person just moved to the area and had to transfer the weapons to the dealer. I have done many of these transfers and have never had a customer questioned or even contacted by ATF.

Barkley, next time you want to take an armorers course let me know, there are several around here that I could have arranged for you to take, plus Doublestar offers one in Winchester, KY as well.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 AM

374 posts, read 980,059 times
So Jerseykat, are you saying that we can have a dealer here ship the guns FedEx and we can pick them up on the other end? What are the stipulations if it takes us longer than five days to get there after they receive them? Thanks so much for your informative answers on this thread- it has been really helpful just to have more information.

Has anyone inquired with Northwest/Delta Airlines to see if they do cargo? I thought about that, too.
The saga continues......
If we had had more time, one of us could have flown down, dropped off our guns, and picked up missing4's guns and brought them back!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska