U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:16 AM

374 posts, read 980,188 times

Advertisements

I know this has been a topic of many previous threads, but I could not find exactly what I was looking for. We are driving out of Alaska very soon and had planned to ship the handguns with UPS to our new address, but UPS says they won't ship firearms. What other options do we have aside from using an FFL/gun store? I thought UPS would ship them. Any thoughts? Will Alaska Airlines cargo ship them if we aren't flying?

Thanks!
Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Well, for what it is worth, I answered my own question. To avoid dealing with the very cranky lady at UPS, we are probably going to just use Alaska Air Cargo and pick them up when we get where we send them. Tomorrow we will call and see how long they hold them for.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,175,749 times
Are you leaving soon, how are you doing with the move?

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-09-2009 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: double whammied...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 AM

Oh, man, the move is really leaving some wear and tear. It is REALLY difficult to plan a move out of Alaska from NOME. We finally got out of Nome on June 2nd after staying with friends there for a few days. I had to work on June 1st to keep the insurance for the rest of the month. We spent the first few days just dealing with the details. We starting working on our trailer, which is at a different house than we are staying at, we picked up a truck topper, we drove around in MANY circles in Anchorage. We got the truck dialed in to haul a trailer, and just dropped the truck off today to get a tune-up. We still have to finish working on the trailer, seal up the topper from leaks, go to the DMV, blah, blah, blah! Man, this would be so much easier if we had been living in Anchorage, instead of staying at people's houses and having all our junk in boxes. Most of it is still at Everts, waiting for us to pick it up. It has kind of been a mini-nightmare from a stress standpoint, but at least the weather has been awesome and we have friends to stay with. Everyone has been great helping us out. I have some twinges of fear and anxiety about leaving, but sometimes I think you just have to do something to find out if it is really what you want. We are apprehensive, and I am sure the stress is far from over, but at least we are doing something now, not just talking about it.

Anyway, that's the quick update. Moving is crazy. I am very much looking forward to the unknown date and location where I can settle in to a house and relax........

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,175,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Oh, man, the move is really leaving some wear and tear. It is REALLY difficult to plan a move out of Alaska from NOME. We finally got out of Nome on June 2nd after staying with friends there for a few days. I had to work on June 1st to keep the insurance for the rest of the month. We spent the first few days just dealing with the details. We starting working on our trailer, which is at a different house than we are staying at, we picked up a truck topper, we drove around in MANY circles in Anchorage. We got the truck dialed in to haul a trailer, and just dropped the truck off today to get a tune-up. We still have to finish working on the trailer, seal up the topper from leaks, go to the DMV, blah, blah, blah! Man, this would be so much easier if we had been living in Anchorage, instead of staying at people's houses and having all our junk in boxes. Most of it is still at Everts, waiting for us to pick it up. It has kind of been a mini-nightmare from a stress standpoint, but at least the weather has been awesome and we have friends to stay with. Everyone has been great helping us out. I have some twinges of fear and anxiety about leaving, but sometimes I think you just have to do something to find out if it is really what you want. We are apprehensive, and I am sure the stress is far from over, but at least we are doing something now, not just talking about it.

Anyway, that's the quick update. Moving is crazy. I am very much looking forward to the unknown date and location where I can settle in to a house and relax........
Please keep us all posted...You had an awful trek moving all from Nome...we may have to do the same in a couple months for a few years, but think we have figured out how to keep our house...I am hanging...as the feelings in the last few weeks have been out of reality, and circumstances are changing from day to day...Wishing you a very safe trip!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM

6,918 posts, read 11,706,446 times
Glad you figured out the firearms part. Shipping the on Alaska Airlines as air freight is the easiest way to do it. Good luck on your move...

Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM

11,742 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Where are you moving to? Google "find an ffl"; UPS ships to dealers which charge a nominal fee to cover their paperwork.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,374,340 times
Megan - if you went with AA Air Cargo, did you have any difficulties getting set up as a "Known Shipper"? I kinda thought that whole application process was a little fishy, but I understand that they have to do it for security reasons. I've been putting it off because I expect it to be a bother, but if it's just a formality and nothing to worry about then I might head down to the airport and get it over with.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM

We are going to call Alaska Air Cargo today to see what the deal is. We might use our employers in Nome? I am not sure. I'll report back!!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM

6,918 posts, read 11,706,446 times
Becoming a known shipper isn't a big deal. They just ask you for your ID, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska