U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,366,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
You can also run the Satellite system off a solar panel system and battery backup for power. Although the system normally runs off of 110 VAC, they can be modified to run off 12 Volt or you can put an inverter that takes 12 Volt to 110 VAC.
We'll be off-grid, so once hubby gets our power system up we'll definitely look into 12v DC sat equipment, or at least modify it if we decide not to run the inverter for 110 AC. He's an electrical engineer, so I'm leaving the solar panels, wind turbines, etc up to him... but we gotta build the house first LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,943,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
If we had oodles of money, we'd just get a sat phone. But the object is not really to have phone service, per se, but to have a cheap phone number for people to leave voice mail messages. I'm not real big on the phone myself.

GrammasCabin, I'm not sure if there is a local station in our area with decent reception. We lost almost all the stations once we got outside Fairbanks, so we just turned the radio off (along with our phones). I'll check it out though, would work good for emergencies.

KTownFan - if your friend is stationed at the main military bases, there will be land lines and cell phone reception because they're near the main cities and highways.
There are two Radio Stations that are run by Churches. One is out of North Pole and the other out of Nenana. Both are fairly high power and will reach out some hundred miles or so, give or take. But they run radio messages out to the Bush.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Thanks Starlite, I'll check them out... although, to be honest, if it's a preaching station rather than a music station, I might not be listening so that kind of defeats the purpose of using it for emergencies. Nothing against preaching, I just loathe talk radio.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks Starlite, I'll check them out... although, to be honest, if it's a preaching station rather than a music station, I might not be listening so that kind of defeats the purpose of using it for emergencies. Nothing against preaching, I just loathe talk radio.
NO, I don't listen to them except for the local basket ball games, the messages come on at 10 AM, 2 PM and 6 PM... you can tune in at the Nenana Station and if someone wants to send a message to you, they can either call, fax, drop off or email messages to be read out over the air.

Where do you think you will be at when you get settled in? I can tell you what you can expect when you get there.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 PM

We're about half-way between Manley and Minto.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
We're about half-way between Manley and Minto.
Well there is a cell phone tower on Murphy Dome, so you should be able to get cell coverage there, you just need to see whom has the tower. With a booster on your phone or a repeater, you should have good coverage. You may need to use a directional ant. at worst... But if you have a view of Murphy Dome with no hills in the way, you are home free...

This is the ACS site, but there is one for AT&T as are others.

http://www.acsalaska.com/assets/coverage-maps/ACS-statewide-map.pdf (broken link)

The area out into the Minto flats areas are in site of the towers.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 PM

We couldn't get roaming service (Cingular) from that tower when we were there, but locals say you can stand on the ridge above the landfill and get one bar. We might be able to ****** a directional and booster and get a signal though... it's hard to tell whether we can see Murphy Dome from our property because it's all trees at the moment

Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 AM

This is the place that I got my repeater for the cabin. They are great because almost any phone will work on them and you don't have to hook a wire to your phone to get it to work. Make sure you get the duel band system.

You can get one that runs off 12v or 110 VAC

They put out three watts on transmit and same with receiving and then transmit it inside the house.

CAE50* Building Repeater Packages Dual Band System

Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Good to know Starlite - I'll add this link to our list of needed supplies. Looks like I'll get a Go Phone or TracFone in the beginning for a number and VM, then worry about getting a signal to it once we get the power up and running.

Thanks for the tips guys, you're awesome.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM

639 posts, read 1,649,632 times
Hey Missing we just bought some land off the Elliott from the state. Next year when we start building and your heading to town you guys will have to drop by and say HI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska