U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,394,835 times

Advertisements

Sure thing. Are you in the KCII subdivision, or closer to Fairbanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM

11,875 posts, read 15,874,681 times
I have a home in a very rural part of the Texas High Plains where I could only get zero or to one bar of signal on my cell phone. I installed a cell phone signal booster (sometimes called a repeater) from this company (Cellular Reception Antennas & Repeaters - Supplies and Accessories | SolidSignal.com) and now get five to six bars. These boosters work on either on the 800 mHz or 1800 mHz cell phones but, unless you buy a dual band unit, you have to know the frequency your company uses for their phones. Most importantly you have to have at least a minimal amount of signal to boost. They won't work where there is no signal at all.

For internet, I use a Wildblue satellite dish (Wildblue.net) but I don't know if they are in Alaska. Of course there is also Hughes Satellite.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM

639 posts, read 1,652,967 times
We are closer to Fairbanks. Central where our cabin is gave us the experience,yet safety so that we can live in the bush but there is no work out there and living away from my husband was NOT for me. So this spring we bought from DNR a property in a sub division called Olnes West, which is coming down the hill from the Hillview truckstop. There is road almost to the property and it was an old homestead place where there used to be a road but it grew up so we are going to be getting it usable again and hopefully come next spring we can get underway of building.Right now it is about 1/4 mile walk in,no power,etc. But thats ok we know how to fix that.
For a phone up in Central we had a radio phone. Im not sure exactly HOW it worked but we never had 1 problem with it and we hooked ours right to our battery bank so we always had a phone.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,976,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Good to know Starlite - I'll add this link to our list of needed supplies. Looks like I'll get a Go Phone or TracFone in the beginning for a number and VM, then worry about getting a signal to it once we get the power up and running.

Thanks for the tips guys, you're awesome.

You might want to find out what phone company has the tower and go with them right off the bat. Nothing worse than having a cool phone that doesn't work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska