U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM

153 posts, read 400,488 times

Advertisements

um.... I wasn't going to bring more than a few tanks of gas worth of Canadian or American cash and my debit card.

Well if that's not enough, I'll just turn around, find a freaking ATM and pull out whatever the border person says is enough.

Shan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,328,743 times
I was only asked at the crossings if I had more than ten grand in cash, that was it at both Canadian crossings and the American crossings. Was there less than a minute all four times.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,150,384 times
I don't know if it still applies, but my brother needed to drive to Alaska on the Alcon Highway through Canada years ago. He came to my father to borrow money because he needed a certain amount of money before they would allow him to enter the highway. I guess they just don't want people getting stuck in their country and not be financially able to leave.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,319,197 times
We were asked about money and credit, both times about 5-7 years ago. Had the car searched entering US in Montana They were looking for drugs and actually I saw relief on the agents face when they did not find any... Apparently this is how much of weed gets in US. I wouldn't know

Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM

141 posts, read 645,001 times
I spent the summer of 2008 living in Canada. Crossed the border constantly (groceries and gas were much cheaper in the US. I was only asked once about finances, and that was coming into the US for a weekend trip. I was driving a large pickup and gas was running about $4.20/gallon at the time. The border agent asked how I could afford to put gas in it. That was it.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Yep. It is all in their hands and judgement. I see cops stopping junk cars in US often too. Just a lucky guess on their part I guess.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,177,196 times
Okay, so you (we) have enough cash or capability..we have US license plates, what does that tell them....

Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 PM

If you are asking me, enough cash and capability is OK all the time. If you arrive in a junk car or otherwise look crappy to the agents, they will apply the rule of the thomb. The one we all comlaint about....

Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 56,088 times
The border crossing with the least amount of questions (according to my experience) is the Canadian customs station in Beaver Creek. I was asked if I had any guns, what was in the bed of my truck, if I had enough funds to make it to my destination (they did not ask for any specific amount), and if I have ever been convicted of any crime.

At the time, I was moving to the Seattle area (temporarily). Instead of asking why I was moving to Seattle, they asked what the original reason for moving to Alaska was. I thought that was rather odd. But in any case, once I answered their handful of questions, they told me to have a nice trip.

The Canadian customs station near Haines on the way back to Alaska was a totally different story. I was treated like a criminal. They wanted me to turn on both of my laptops and they wanted to browse my files. They wanted to see what was on all my external hard drives, pen drives, CDs. They looked through my books and magazines, and asked me to empty my wallet. They rummaged through my glove compartments, tool boxes, and when they found the ashes of my recently deceased cat, they treated it like it was cocaine. They wanted to examine it. I was at the border for about 20 minutes and it was a thoroughly humiliating experience. But when all was said and done, they too told me to have a nice trip.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 PM

6,919 posts, read 11,708,744 times
Kudo's on Beaver Creek. 2 summers ago I pulled up early in the morning. I could see the agent through the window. It looked like he was making coffee. I held up my passport and he waved me through. It sure beats going through customs in Prince Rupert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska