U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 AM

20 posts, read 67,357 times

Advertisements

Looking for someone to help find me a place to live in Barrow! Just accepted a job with TSA at Wiley Post-Will Rogers Memorial Airport and from the looks of it between these forums and every other resource I could come up with, it's proven to be difficult to find a place to rent. I called Fran a local Icon in the area and the radio station and I'm still batting a zero.
I'm looking to rent a room, something small near the airport or at this point anywhere in Barrow. I'm a 43 old male coming alone and my accommodation needs our simple. I need a bedroom or something equivalent. I'm hoping someone will take the bull by the horns and help this Former Marine find a place to stay!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,424,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marines85 View Post
Looking for someone to help find me a place to live in Barrow! Just accepted a job with TSA at Wiley Post-Will Rogers Memorial Airport and from the looks of it between these forums and every other resource I could come up with, it's proven to be difficult to find a place to rent. I called Fran a local Icon in the area and the radio station and I'm still batting a zero.
I'm looking to rent a room, something small near the airport or at this point anywhere in Barrow. I'm a 43 old male coming alone and my accommodation needs our simple. I need a bedroom or something equivalent. I'm hoping someone will take the bull by the horns and help this Former Marine find a place to stay!!!
You just aren't going to be able to do much more without being on the ground in Barrow. (Doesn't TSA help at all with finding housing??? If not, that's obnoxious considering the number of people they run in and out of here.)

I've noted that a lot of TSA people simply stay at the Airport Inn. You might check with them to see if they have weekly or monthly rates or what. That may not apply in the summer though, while business booms with the tourist trade. Their number is 907-852-2525.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
If you are moving there as a permanent site, then you are on your own. TSA pays cost of living and such and expects you to find your own place. Both my kids are TSA and they rotate there during the summer and as needed, TSA pays for them to stay in the hotel (lowest bid), but you may be out of pocket for your work there. IM me your contact number or email address and I will pass it on to my son and he can fill you in on more details, currently he is in Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) on rotation there.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 100,793 times
My husband worked there for TSA when we lived in Barrow- the only thing that made it cost effective was that I got subsidized housing through my job. The TSA travelers get their housing for free + a per diem rate. They get a room at the Airport Inn. My husband was the only perm. TSA hire the whole time he was there and it would probably be best to get on with the traveling TSA group so that you get paid more. Things are very expensive in Barrow. The travelers (I think they're called ASF- Alaska Screening Force) go between Nome, Kotzebue, Barrow, Prudhoe- etc.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 AM

This is a permanent position with TSA and I'm responsible for my own housing. I really would appreciate anyone who can help me locate a one room rental or share an apartment. Something near the airport would be great. I have several phone calls to make next week with the help from someone I met through Face Book last week living in Barrow. I'm reaching out in every way I know possible in the hopes that someone will help me.

Thanks,

Greg

Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 AM

6,939 posts, read 11,731,190 times
Quote:
This is a permanent position with TSA and I'm responsible for my own housing. I really would appreciate anyone who can help me locate a one room rental or share an apartment. Something near the airport would be great. I have several phone calls to make next week with the help from someone I met through Face Book last week living in Barrow. I'm reaching out in every way I know possible in the hopes that someone will help me.

Thanks,

Greg
The rentals are there. Just be prepared to spend a few nights in the hotel until you find one. Most everything up there is done by word of mouth.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks Stiff-necked,
I have a few calls to make tomorrow which seem to be some good leads. I believe that you are exactly right. Between my postings here and on Craigslist I'm batting a zero. It's not that I'm worried about finding a place when I get there, It's that I'm a very organized individual and arriving without housing isn't the way I normally carry out activities in my life. Looks like I might have to loosen up my collar and not be so stiff-necked, No pun intended.

Greg

Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 PM

I don't like doing things like that either. Cause I used to be pretty stiff as well. I guess I still am but that's due to mechanical difficulties brought about by a botched surgeon who wouldn't even make a good butcher.

If you don't find something ahead of time then start asking around like crazy. Start right at the airport. Ask the people that work at Alaska Airlines, etc. Something will work out for you.

Lastly, head over to Sam and Lee's Resturant in the morning and ask for Floyd Davidson. He's got his finger on the pulse of Barrow. He knows everything about everything.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks! Well one things for sure, I will be there in late July with or with out housing. Looking forward to the next chapter in my life. Appreciate your feed back.

Greg

Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 AM

Even though I don't like Floyd I'm sure in real life he's a nice fellow. He's got a good knowledge of Barrow. Your gonna be in for a surprise if you've never been their before. You hate it and love it at the same time. Get it a while and it'll grow on you.

Back then we were paying 18 cents a gallon for water. I remember always harping on my wife to quit flushing the toliet so much. If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow. Then I figured out we could go up to the high school in the evening and swim in the pool and use the showers for free. Don't know if it's the same now but you get the point. It just takes a while to figure out the in's and out's of life in Barrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or