U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,093 times

Advertisements

Too funny, however look in the phonebook for Coldfoot AK and they have igloo #1, and I think 3 and 8 listed as address, cracked me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,983,340 times
Be careful Grannysroost on the roof, which is also the walls of an igloo.
The curve causes more accidents from people up there sliding off to their
doom.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,200,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Be careful Grannysroost on the roof, which is also the walls of an igloo.
The curve causes more accidents from people up there sliding off to their
doom.
Not to worry JerseyKat...I just sit in the lawnchair and spray ice-water on it with the hose...when I get to parts I can't reach I have to saddle up the moose, but that's okay...have to go penguin huntin' tonight when they come out to feed...

Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Be wary of those penguins. Hear they run in gangs led by Guido the killer pimp uhhh penguin.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,889,456 times
I saw this post before there were any responses. I couldn't get myself to respond. Now I see that I was just in the wrong mood.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Nah Marty you just needed to be at work with me today and losing your mind LOL.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,200,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I saw this post before there were any responses. I couldn't get myself to respond. Now I see that I was just in the wrong mood.
Yup...now go for it....Let loose and amuse us....

Old 06-13-2009, 04:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,979,724 times
Quote:
=traceraz;9256254]Good morning Alaska!

I have a ton of questions about your beautiful state. I've seen the pictures of whales, mountains, snow, elk, water, crab, and it has sparked my curiosity. I'm just going to list the questions that I have below, I've browsed through some of the threads and have a good idea, but right now I am throwing around the idea of a move up there in a couple years. (I need to be by the ocean so it will be SoCal, NoCal, NY and maybe Alaska).

I want to live by the water and in a progressive city, so this rules out the villages and igloo towns. I am thinking more along the lines of Anchorage, or close coastal town that offers a job and a good way of life. I've looked at a map and it doesn't look like Alaska has very many roads, for instance to Barrow, or to Scammon Bay, I assume that the trek is made by sleds pulled by dogs, or snowmobiles?

O.k. the questions are coming to me in rapid fire, so I will just list them right here:

1) Getting around Anchorage. How is it getting around in the snow and for how many months is there snow on the ground in Anchorage?
We have been trying to get people to come to Alaska, so we have placed photos of people driving cars around on the Internet and other places to make them think we are like them... But mostly we have to snowshoe or use dog sleds to get around.

Quote:
2) Sunlight. Are there some days where there is no sunlight at all? How is the morale around the area, are people in generally high spirits?
Sunlight? Most of the time all we get is a full moon and the Northern Lights.. The Sun does come up for one day though, it lasts about three of your months...

Quote:
3) Locals and Outsiders. How do the locals view the outsiders. Is it sort of a "small" big town, where everyone knows everyone?
Mostly with Binockulars... If they get too close, they ask us questions that we don't know the answers to.

Quote:
4) Work. It seems most of the industry is in oil, crabbing and I'm not sure what else. Are these two industries flooded, how does the job market look? I read in another thread some guy had an IT degree and accounting degree, plus working on a Masters, sounds a bit overqualified, but said he was still looking for work.
We do have a lot of Crabby Oil workers, they do get flooded out at high tide though...

I thought they got rid of the "Masters" after the Civil War?

Quote:
5) Deadliest catch. Is it realistic for an able bodied man to get a job on one of these ships catching crab for three months, or longer? Does one need to be in on the inside, i.e. (not what you know, who you know?)
Nope, that show is a total hype, it is made in a big tank on a Hollywood lot... Just like the movie "The Guardian" was. The photos of the floating ice is Styrofoam, real ice would melt in the heated set.

Quote:
6) Gangs. I was watching Gangland and they had an episode on Anchorage gangs and said it was like the wild west - is that true? They mentioned the drug trade was a free for all up there. (Mods delete if innapropriate, just curious)
We have a lot of "Gaggles" here, which have been confused with gangs, the Gaggles are a lot more dangerous than what you are referring to as "Gangs", these Gaggles will attack anyone that comes close to them and knock you senseless with really big Knots on their wings... Not like the Hells Angles wings either...

Quote:
7) Buildings. In Gangland they showed a picture of Anchorage, I'm curious as to what company/companies own the high rise buildings downtown.
Isn't any high rises, they fell down in the '64 Earthquake and they only allow two story Igloos because of that.

Quote:
8) Wilderness. I noticed lots of wilderness areas on the map, I also saw pictures of Alaska with no snow. Are there any areas to go mountain biking with no snow? If so, is there a possibility one might run into a bear or other dangerous wild life?
They have the "Ididabike race", where you peddle though knee deep snow for a bunch of miles to win the race... I think the first place winner gets a new set of warm gloves...

The wildlife is pretty much regulated to the Sand Bars where drinks are on the house after the race..

Quote:
9) What is the best ski resort in Alaska?
Well we resort to a lot of things here, you need to be more detailed in what you want to know... I have resorted to skis at times, but found snowshoes are much better for climbing hills, bit slower on the downside, but they average out OK...

Quote:
10) It seems there are a lot of settled down families in Alaska, some who have moved there to "farm" the land, etc... So, how is the single scene? A fair amount of decent females? Would it be better if someone moved out there married?
Yeah, there are a lot of decent females, some even have most of a full row of teeth.. the saying about the guys for the girls are "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"

Quote:
11) Getting paid to live in Alaska. All I know about this is that one has to live in Alaska for over a year I beileve and they get a check from the oil proceeds? Is that correct?
We get paid to live here? I though this was part of the sentance... The check is from the Parole Officer to make sure we haven't gone over to Canada.

Quote:
12) How much is a gallon of milk?
Depends if you can get the moose to hold still long enough, could cost a broken rib if you aren't careful. Oh, and stay away from the ones with horns....

Quote:
13) I always wondered why Alaska has such a small population. It seems there should be more people living there, I wonder if the only deterrent is the snow and lack of human contact?
There is other people here? They told us there was one person for every couple of square miles, but I have seen more Big Foots from the Micky Mouse or Bunny Boots..

Quote:
O.k. these are all the questions I could muster up at this moment, but have many more. Any input is appreciated, I hope to at least be able to visit Alaska soon, I sure would like to see one of those blue whales off the coast, or a polar bear, looks like a very beautiful and scenic state.

Hey, ask anytime, that is what we are here for...

Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,397,530 times
I find it odd that that OP is looking for a "progressive" oceanside city and completely ignores Oregon and Washington?!?! Ok - Seattle isn't technically "on the ocean", but when you're standing next to the Puget Sound you can't tell the difference. (Which, umm, is sort of the same issue you have with Anchorage and the Gompertz Channel). Portland isn't on the ocean either, but you can get there easily and there are a lot of rivers. Of course, you could always live in an oceanside town (or a real island!) and commute to the big progressive city when you wanted to?

I've lived in all 3 places, and I wouldn't say that the gang problem is much worse in Seattle or Portland than in Anchorage. Obviously, the OP needs to do more research than just watching Reality TV to get his information! (pssssst - the media lies and sensationalizes things)

Hmmm... how about Hawaii?! You can't really get more oceanside than a chain of islands. Hawaii seemed real laid back and relatively progressive when I visited. And there are plenty of seaside towns on the East Coast, a lot of them are progressive depending on your definition... Boston MA, Bridgeport CT, Portland ME, Baltimore MD (well, sorta on the ocean). Even some down South like New Orleans, Galveston and Corpus Christi.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 PM

319 posts, read 842,204 times
Default crabbing?

i was a deckhand i southeastern alaska for a lota yrs and we always stayed with the same boat & captain every yr.if the captain got a new boat we went with.season after season.well i remember one time we got caught in a gail it was blowing & raining we came up the swell full throttle all 68ft of that boat cleared the water.we hit the next one dead center & broke 2 windows out the pilot house well water started coming in on the electronics. bout that time.....oh sorry didnt mean to change the subject......i live in alaska? i just thought the sun burned out.

Last edited by unconscious; 06-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: mut have got lost in the dark someware in the yk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska