U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 PM

45 posts, read 43,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Weren't you just there Alaskalive?
Actually , a friend took us this winter, we drove up there, stopped where you have to stop. IT was all snow covered.

Time went on... Spring Came, and Me and the Kids went BACK up to Hatcher's Pass in the SPRINGTIME.

But then, the kids and I went up there to take photos.. but like an idiot, I forgot to delete the photos off my memory card.. so I had only shot about a hundred... at the river, on the way up to the pass... and the camera said FULL!!!
I only have one 4 gig stick, and because of all the old photos not deleted, I had to leave.. we went to town to buy another stick of memory, and by the time.. it was raining in the mountains... so we just went some where else.
Never have gotten to go all around Hatcher's Pass yet on foot. Big area up there! We don't have quads, 4 wheelers or dirt bikes... so all will be walking.

Did not want to get eaten by a bear, and have all the locals wag their heads when they read of the bear attack and say, "Why in the heck would anyone go up there this time of year, didn't they know?..." So I was asking questions.

I was taught the only dumb question was the one you did not ask. So.. I was asking.

Last edited by alaskalive; 06-16-2009 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: to clarify.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,318,343 times
Looking at the foliage this is May, not winter.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM

45 posts, read 43,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Looking at the foliage this is May, not winter.
We, a friend took us, went in the winter.. actually the same group.
THEN, THIS SPRING. in another trip... the rest of the story.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,315,988 times
John, pull your waders up, it's getting deep!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,855,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskalive View Post
We are thinking of going hiking on Hatcher's Pass.
Does anyone have info, advice on what one should do to prepare for possible bear confrontations during this month of June?
Study the videos of Timothy Treadwell and always carry the Bible with you. Amen.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
Geese, I can't believe that nobody has given you all the proper bear proticals....

First item is foot wear in bear country when hiking with a group. Wear a very light pair of tennis shoes and then tell the others that they need to wear a good quality "heavy" hiking boot. The oject isn't to outrun the bear, just the slowest person in the group.

Having said that, you also need to carry a good walking stick. This is for shifting the rules of the Darwin scale in the event that you are still the slowest in the group, you can use it to "Wack" the faster runners as they run past you in the knee to ensure your ability to "Not" be the slowest in the group.

If you are hiking by yourself, then you are pretty much on your own and a can of the "bear" pepper spray is more for the bears in as they like spicy food too.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,602,107 times
My philosophy is that it is always better to be armed for bear and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Anytime I go hiking or fishing, I always carry a 12-gauge loaded with slugs.

Bears have terrible eye-sight, so if they are standing upwind of you, they may not recognize you as human. While making noise will certainly notify any bear in the area of your presence, and help avoid any unwanted surprises, it also has a similar effect on all the other critters. I don't know about you, but one of the reasons I enjoy hiking in Alaska is to see the wildlife, and if I am making lots of noise, I will not be seeing much.
  • Be observant and watch for fresh bear sign;
  • Keep a clean camp;
  • Hang your food between two trees at least 15 feet off the ground when camping; and
  • Don't sleep where you cook, if you will be camping overnight.
If you do these things you are not likely to have a surprise encounter, and still be able to enjoy watching the wildlife. Being aware of your surroundings is the most critical of all. Most people just focus on the trail ahead of them. They are not paying attention to what is happening to their left or right as they walk. This "tunnel vision" is what leads to surprise encounters. Use your ears and nose in addition to your eyes. If you are downwind and close to a brown bear, you will know it even if you can't see them. They reek of decaying salmon.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,203,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskalive View Post
We are thinking of going hiking on Hatcher's Pass.
Does anyone have info, advice on what one should do to prepare for possible bear confrontations during this month of June?

Go to Independence Mine & take the kids on 1 of the short trails out of there. I recommend the Gold Cord Lake Trail, which is about a mile round trip.

"Independence Mine Several short trails
Trail head 17.3 miles off Fishhook Willow Road westbound toward Hatcher Pass.
The Hard Rock trail: 0.5 mile, easy walking tour in restored mining camp.
The Gold Cord Lake trail: 0.5 mile, easy to moderate on final. Great view of the lake, Ice until July, and the Valley.
The Gold Cord Mine trail: 1.0 mile, easy hike, even though steep first part. 2 historic mines are to be visited."

Visibility in that high tundra is very good, there's other people, & most of us have never seen bears up there by the mine.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,963,547 times
Default bring a couple of 5 year olds

My advice is to bring a couple of 5 year olds, either two boys or two girls. That way you can dispense with the whole "bear bell" thing since you NEVER have to worry about sneaking up on a bear.

A pair of 5-year olds is like a talking machine that never, ever runs out of batteries and only runs on one volume setting...LOUD. Even if for some reason a bear starts to hang around, it'll eventually get sick of hearing about Star Wars or Polly Pockets or whatever and unlike you, it can leave.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,203,476 times
Default yeah!

And you don't have to worry about ever seeing those attack pika & marmots either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska