U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM

860 posts, read 1,707,323 times

Advertisements

The rain feels good for once doesn't it Met? Hoping it rains enough to fill the water tank, truth be told, I'm tired of hauling water already! The garden's greatful too, this heat has made everything just explode!
I came here in the 60's - never seen this kind of heat in May/June, maybe a day or two end of July but nothing like this. Wonder what the rest of the summer is going to be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 PM

20,437 posts, read 26,572,905 times
Yeah, we need the rain; the dogs like to roll in the mud. My plants are doing well too.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,318,929 times
Gramms, your remarks are right on the money. Record heat in AK, record floods in WI (we just had a 500 year flood at the lake last year0. Something is in the air all right. Just so happenes that 90-50 million years ago Arctic had tropical climate! Palms and all!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,175,749 times
GC...Wonderful, breathtaking, what fun...you go girl...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:14 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,964,470 times
Default burning light in the sky

Great shots there Gramma, thanks for posting them!

Yeah, it's been a strange but enjoyable summer so far up here in Haines, too. The kids are all now accustomed to that strange, burning light in the sky...apparently it's called the "sun".

I'm hoping we get some rain before the 4th of July, things are pretty dry around here and some people just don't take a hint when it comes to fireworks.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM

345 posts, read 1,112,558 times
how are the leeches down there?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,734,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
It has been 3 years since we've had warm enough weather in the Southeast islands to play in the water. In fact it rained every day but 10 last spring/summer/fall. But look what we've got now! The last 6 weeks have been amazing, topped with temperatures in the high 80's and even breaking 90 last weekend.
The mouth of the Stikine river empties into a wide sandy delta about 15 miles north of town. Another 17 miles upriver takes you to a slough leading to two shallow basins at the base of the mountains. During the fall moose hunt you can walk across on dry land, but with all this heat the snowmelt is filling them up to chest high in most places, 12 feet at the deepest.
I believe we emptied the town of Wrangell last weekend, moved the city limits upriver. By midday Friday there were 30 boats in the lakes filled with what seemed like every kid, dog and adult in Wrangell, all turning our halibut-belly skin a bright red.
A couple years ago the US Forest Service sent uniformed, rule-toting representatives to hold town meetings telling us that the Stikine River is a Federal Wilderness area - therefore no more than 12 people are allowed to gather within hearing distance of other "visitors" to the wilderness area.
How are we doin' so far?

And then we took a ride upriver to take in the sights. The forest service also told us we couldn't have our little cabins upriver anymore. They burned 'em all down. Cabins, I might add, which have been stocked with emergency supplies since before Alaska became a state and have saved more than a few lives. Anyway, our response to that is floathouses anchored offshore. The feds don't own the water, just the land.

The glacier is straight ahead and then a few miles to the left but this is as far as we can go. Solid ice ahead.

Glacier ice is the BEST for coctails!

The snowpack hasn't even had a chance to all melt off yet We're in Canadian waters here, yeah, I know. Not supposed to be.

Okay, back in the US of A

Beautiful Pictures. Thank You I never knew Alaska had Summer's? I always thought it was Winter all year round interesting.

You learn something new everyday I tell you

Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,389,289 times
And then we took a ride upriver to take in the sights. The forest service also told us we couldn't have our little cabins upriver anymore. They burned 'em all down. Cabins, I might add, which have been stocked with emergency supplies since before Alaska became a state and have saved more than a few lives. Anyway, our response to that is floathouses anchored offshore. The feds don't own the water, just the land.

Say whaaat??? they burned the survival aiding cabins down??? you can't have yours on the shore.....ummmm taxes pay for that land, their jobs and belongs to the tax payers....start a revolution to stop this crap!!!
I suppose they are looking out for the day when lots of people want to put cabins on the river banks but...not many would last long with this living arrangement year round. Dang....careful the feds will claim your anchor is on their land on the bottom of the river!!! the dirty stinkers them Feds!!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM

16,457 posts, read 21,487,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It has been kind of eerie with all this sun in SE. It rained yesterday for the first time in awhile.
Hmm, SE is going to become sunny. I bet the Interior will become wet now.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM

16,457 posts, read 21,487,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post

Say whaaat??? they burned the survival aiding cabins down??? you can't have yours on the shore.....ummmm taxes pay for that land, their jobs and belongs to the tax payers....start a revolution to stop this crap!!!
I suppose they are looking out for the day when lots of people want to put cabins on the river banks but...not many would last long with this living arrangement year round. Dang....careful the feds will claim your anchor is on their land on the bottom of the river!!! the dirty stinkers them Feds!!
Time to secede and kick the feds out...just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or