U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,705,601 times

Advertisements

Oh I wish we could get them useless idiots out of here too! And the fish & game cops. When I came to this town in '66 there were 3 times as many people living here and we had three cops. One for each shift. Now we have 1/3 the population, 8 cops, forest service and fish & game cops & coast guard cops everywhere. For cryin out loud, we're a remote little island town of 1500 in the middle of millions of acres of rainforest. The nearest villiage up the Stikine is 180 miles into the Yukon, the Taltan villiage of Telegraph Creek, pop 150 or so. Is this getting rediculous or what!
I still wouldn't live anywhere else tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM

16,454 posts, read 21,465,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Oh I wish we could get them useless idiots out of here too! And the fish & game cops. When I came to this town in '66 there were 3 times as many people living here and we had three cops. One for each shift. Now we have 1/3 the population, 8 cops, forest service and fish & game cops & coast guard cops everywhere. For cryin out loud, we're a remote little island town of 1500 in the middle of millions of acres of rainforest. The nearest villiage up the Stikine is 180 miles into the Yukon, the Taltan villiage of Telegraph Creek, pop 150 or so. Is this getting rediculous or what!
I still wouldn't live anywhere else tho.
It's a slowly tightening noose on our freedom...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,539,344 times
The law is thick as thieves around here anymore as well...Grandma, remember the Investor?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,163,085 times
Nice pictures and the weather looked great. I"ve heard about the mosquitoes in Alaska, but what about the southeast region? Are they bad there as well? Was everyone wearing lots of Off repellent?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,928,791 times
Pshhhh, anything over 65 and you will see people in the water in Haines!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Pshhhh, anything over 65 and you will see people in the water in Haines!

Oh yeah, here too. We've had absolutely no summer tho for the last 3 years, the 4th was marginal - it's rained for practically 4 full years, not much fun. Last summer there were 10 days it didn't rain. We were all so happy to feel that hot sun. It's back to cool and raining again tho ):

As for mosquitos, I don't have much problem at home although half my property is muskeg but I'm also on the water and the sea breezes keep them at bay. I don't remember seeing a one on that river trip but by July they'll be intolerable up there. I love to go to to the hotsprings (about 20 miles upriver) but it's impossible to even breathe when the skeeters are out. That's when I leave the tubs to the drunken fishermen. The Fed's 12-person rule doesn't work at the tubs either. Well, it doesn't work anywhere on the river when we're ready to play. That's our back yard.

No Met. I feel dumb. Don't remember the Investor?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Oh...I can't even remember the year anymore...early 80's or so. The Investor was AK's largest mass murder at the time...don't know if there has been a worse once since. It was a seiner where everyone on board was shot, including a couple of little kids and a pregnant woman. My grandmother and I saw it when it first started to burn; they had tried to hide it behind an island but it was in full view of where we were. John Peel was tried and not convicted; we saw him come in on the skiff and then he just disappeared. A couple years later they found him; the evidence was pretty shaky and he wasn't convicted.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:23 AM

That hot tub looks really good right now btw--twisted my back lifting a halibut last night.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,978,326 times
Grandma I'm ditto-ing Met on the hot tub looks great. Here in Jersey it's cold and rainy.
Just the way you want a day off to be!
LOL but better than the tub is the liquid sustenance I see in the buckets!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh...I can't even remember the year anymore...early 80's or so. The Investor was AK's largest mass murder at the time...don't know if there has been a worse once since. It was a seiner where everyone on board was shot, including a couple of little kids and a pregnant woman. My grandmother and I saw it when it first started to burn; they had tried to hide it behind an island but it was in full view of where we were. John Peel was tried and not convicted; we saw him come in on the skiff and then he just disappeared. A couple years later they found him; the evidence was pretty shaky and he wasn't convicted.

Of course! I'd forgotten the name of the boat but John Peel's a name I won't soon forget. I think that was in 84? I remember everyone being shocked that the creep wasn't convicted once they finally found him.

Jersey?? What liquid sustenance?? What buckets??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or