Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

This is why you use the work computer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I really can't remember the last time I ate beef. I make my burger with 1/2 moose & 1/2 venison with beef suet. Seasoned with a little montreal and winchester, cooked over hot coals with a warm bun. Why would you want to mess that up by putting salad on it?
Your burgers are outlawed in New York City. Beef suet is a saturated fat. OH MY GAWD! You really do need to add it to moose though. I usually use pork suet with moose, or lard if I am making sausages.

I'll bring the potato salad, chips, and beer if you make those moose burgers.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM

288 posts, read 349,886 times
Generally I like for my burger to be dragged through the garden ( tomato, pickle, lettuce, onion, sometimes jalapeno ). But recently I have started adding just a slice of avocado to my burger and wow!! It makes a wonderful topping, especially if you can keep the slippery thing centered on your burger while you eat it.

regards,
tb

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Your recipes are making me drool RayinAK. This thread should come with the warning: DO NOT READ BEFORE LUNCH!

The best burgers I have ever eaten have come from Club Paris, in downtown Anchorage. They grind their own fillet mignon to make their burgers, something I would never do myself. I will broil or barbecue fillet mignon as steaks, but I have never even considered grinding it up for burgers. It almost seems sacrilegious. Of course, I don't have any problem with Club Paris grinding up fillet mignon for their burgers. Particularly when the price of their lunch special is less than what it would cost me to buy the raw meat.
Some of my coworkers buy steaks, and grind them for hamburgers. It's a good way to get the best ground meat.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,778,242 times
With beef the taste improves with fat content. I wouldn't think that ground fillet mignon is best for burgers... I recently tried new steak cut. Can't remember what it was, but I'll pick it up again. Some kind of sirloin cut, not large, maybe 2 1/2 to 3x 3 1/2 to 4 inch long, 1 1/2 inch thick nicely marbelized. Soo good, so juicy and tender.
And Ray, my girlfriend will not ever buy store ground meat. Ever!.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
With beef the taste improves with fat content. I wouldn't think that ground fillet mignon is best for burgers... I recently tried new steak cut. Can't remember what it was, but I'll pick it up again. Some kind of sirloin cut, not large, maybe 2 1/2 to 3x 3 1/2 to 4 inch long, 1 1/2 inch thick nicely marbelized. Soo good, so juicy and tender.
And Ray, my girlfriend will not ever buy store ground meat. Ever!.
Sirloin tips are excellent for grinding. I process my own moose meat, and grind only clean meat (much like stew meat, without tendons and such). But my wife just tolerates the taste of wild game, while I love it. It's flavorful, and a lot cleaner than supermarket meats. Now, my mother in law has a small farm, and she used to grow cows that were free-roaming in her land, eating grasses, hay, and nothing else. No vets injecting the cows with anything, nor any special feed. That was some delicious meat! She is too old now, and doesn't want to farm anymore. She lives in Newport, Wash.

About your girlfriend, she is right

Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Sirloin tips are excellent for grinding. I process my own moose meat, and grind only clean meat (much like stew meat, without tendons and such). But my wife just tolerates the taste of wild game, while I love it. It's flavorful, and a lot cleaner than supermarket meats. Now, my mother in law has a small farm, and she used to grow cows that were free-roaming in her land, eating grasses, hay, and nothing else. No vets injecting the cows with anything, nor any special feed. That was some delicious meat! She is too old now, and doesn't want to farm anymore. She lives in Newport, Wash.

About your girlfriend, she is right
I completely agree. Wild game is the way meat is supposed to taste. The supermarket meat is not the way good meat should taste. You can buy decent supermarket meat if you are willing to pay more for the organic, hormone free, and preservative free meat. The closer domesticated animals are permitted to return to what is natural for them (like wild game), the better they taste.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM

251 posts, read 706,429 times
Ditto on the sentiments here.
Grocery store domesticated hormone-injected meats taste abnormal.
Proper preparation of wild game (organic is good too) is the key to a better tasting and more healthful meal.

Like my momma said, if you put in bad ingredients, you're gonna get a bad end result, so use the best you can.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
How many people here still use charcoal? I haven't done that in years. I use propane, but I really want to go back to charcoal for the flavor.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
How many people here still use charcoal? I haven't done that in years. I use propane, but I really want to go back to charcoal for the flavor.
We've used charcoal only now for about 5 years, Cowboy charcoal, which is a charcoal/wood mix. I am going to get propane just to do longer cooking things if no time to keep restocking, like for grilled turkey or some such thing. I wouldn't trade the charcoal for shorter cooking times though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska