U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM

674 posts, read 1,417,839 times

Advertisements

We are taking our trip to one of the forest service cabins next week and will be there till the first week of July. I would like to know what the weather is going to be like. I know this area is a rain forest, so we're expecting rain, hopefully some sunny days too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 PM

860 posts, read 1,706,182 times
There just ain't no way of knowin'! It's been hot the last few weeks all over southeast but back down to 50's and intermittent rain the last couple days. Normally I'd say this is the best time for weather but there's no normal anymore. Bring your rain gear. You'll have fun no matter, if it rains, just ignore it.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM

5,844 posts, read 6,029,965 times
it is real easy to predict Ketchikan's weather...

RAIN

Assume it will rain and you've got it made. Then if by some remote chance it doesn't rain the trip will be extra special.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
We are taking our trip to one of the forest service cabins next week and will be there till the first week of July. I would like to know what the weather is going to be like. I know this area is a rain forest, so we're expecting rain, hopefully some sunny days too.

Sure, that is easy enough to do... Here is a generic weather report that covers most of Southeast Alaska.

In the morning, you can expect a light rain, followed by drizzle, then heavy rain followed by a steady rain.

Early afternoon is normally lighter because the rain clould covers starts to lighten up for a short period of misting rain followed by cloudbursts of rain.

In the evenings you can expect to see wildly scattered darkness and the rain turn to fog with heavy condensation mixed with ran until early morning.

At that time of the next new day, start reading the first paragraph over again for the following day's forecast.

In the event that it i s not raining, there is some kind of cosmic misalignment going on because most people are winching in extreme pain from the bright light coming from the sky with some kind of radiant heat mixed with the light.

You will find most of the shops closed because of this event and will continue until the rain begins to fall again and balance out the alignment of the stars.

Hope that helps! Oh, you might want to bring some raingear and flippers.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,855,060 times
One thing you won't likely have is sideways rain all day for a month. That's usually reserved for Mar/Apr and Sep/Oct/Nov time periods.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

959 posts, read 2,070,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Which cabin ya going to? Recently it's been uncommonly nice out all over Southeast--dry, sunny, hot, with some overcast days in there but not as much rain as per normal; most feel we're getting lucky and having a nice warmer summer...hope it stays that way for your stay!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM

674 posts, read 1,417,839 times
Here is the cabin we stay'd at. Nice and the weather wasn't to bad. Only one sunny day(a couple hrs), but all in all a real nice time.

Tongass National Forest Cabins, Patching Lake

And from our trip:

Patching Lake Trip!

Oh, something I didn't mention, my arms are covered with little bits from those "MONSTER" little black flys........I mean, when your catching fish, you can't just stop and go back to the cabin and get the bug juice! Then I kept forgetting it, until about the 4th day, but them I was covered with the little buggers.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,180 times
Quote:
it is real easy to predict Ketchikan's weather...

RAIN

Assume it will rain and you've got it made. Then if by some remote chance it doesn't rain the trip will be extra special.
I do that everywhere I go anyway. Didn't work out real well in Saudi though...

Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sure, that is easy enough to do... Here is a generic weather report that covers most of Southeast Alaska.

In the morning, you can expect a light rain, followed by drizzle, then heavy rain followed by a steady rain.

Early afternoon is normally lighter because the rain clould covers starts to lighten up for a short period of misting rain followed by cloudbursts of rain.

In the evenings you can expect to see wildly scattered darkness and the rain turn to fog with heavy condensation mixed with ran until early morning.

At that time of the next new day, start reading the first paragraph over again for the following day's forecast.

In the event that it i s not raining, there is some kind of cosmic misalignment going on because most people are winching in extreme pain from the bright light coming from the sky with some kind of radiant heat mixed with the light.

You will find most of the shops closed because of this event and will continue until the rain begins to fall again and balance out the alignment of the stars.

Hope that helps! Oh, you might want to bring some raingear and flippers.
I have been on this site all day, mainly because I with the group of people on this site that may want to move to Alaska someday, when I am brave. I live in Bonners Ferry Idaho. This post is just about the funniest thing I have read, and I am a little sad because I know it's true. I will definitely consider this when thinking about a move to Ketchikan...Maybe for now I will just visit for a spell and make sure it's as funny being there in it as it is to read about it...thanks for the laugh anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska