U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,428,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I can understand where Alaskan's are coming from. It does make me a little angry that more and more Northerners such as people from MD, NY, and PA come down to NC and buy up all the beach land because it's cheaper. But it does make me feel like an a-hole at the same time. Isn't much you can do about it. But anyway, I was reading the AIP website and found this in the FAQ:

Q:If Alaska became independent, would U.S. military bases leave?
A: The strategic location of Alaska would indicate that it would serve U.S. interests to maintain a presence in Alaska. The military are good neighbors. There would be no compelling reason for the military to leave Alaska.

If the military did leave, what would Alaska's strategy be to defend itself in time of war?
  1. You need to realize that the AIP is a joke.
  2. See item 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM

164 posts, read 277,464 times
I was not trying to be rude to anyone on here & yes on the thread I posted I have gotten some great advice and have thanked everyone for that advice. If that is not the impression I gave than I am sorry. I have read a lot of threads on here & I was was talking in general this is the vibe I get whether it is just Alaskans talking amongst themselves or replying to one of us "dreamers" curious questions. Please don't doubt the thickness of my skin, there is nothing anyone could say to me on here or anywhere else that would offend me, that is just not me.

I have no expectations concerning my move to AK, I never said I was going to get a cabin on a lake nor do I expect that (now I do want to be able to go hiking by a lake.. can I have that dream?) I do not expect to find the perfect high paying job the first day I am there, to find peace and tranquility and all my "lower 48" problems just to float away in your thin mountain air as soon as I cross the state lines, I don't expect the weather to be the same there as it is here in KS (oh god PLEASE tell me its not going to be the same!! Our heat index was 115 degrees yesterday, and I don't have air conditioning!! )

I am not naive enough to think anything in my life will ever be easy, in fact this move will be the hardest thing I have ever done, I will be leaving my family 4000 miles behind not knowing when I will be able to see any of them again and coming to a place I do not know one person, I need to do this for myself, and hopefully I will meet new wonderful people and see new wonderful places along the way to make it all worth it..nothing has ever been easy for me in the past I don't know why that would change just because I changed my address.

I appreciate all the warnings, advice, thoughts and especially the pictures you all post.. you all give me much to think about as I plan my move and that is what I am on here for so thank you!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

6,992 posts, read 10,409,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
I was not trying to be rude to anyone on here & yes on the thread I posted I have gotten some great advice and have thanked everyone for that advice. If that is not the impression I gave than I am sorry. I have read a lot of threads on here & I was was talking in general this is the vibe I get whether it is just Alaskans talking amongst themselves or replying to one of us "dreamers" curious questions. Please don't doubt the thickness of my skin, there is nothing anyone could say to me on here or anywhere else that would offend me, that is just not me.

I have no expectations concerning my move to AK, I never said I was going to get a cabin on a lake nor do I expect that (now I do want to be able to go hiking by a lake.. can I have that dream?) I do not expect to find the perfect high paying job the first day I am there, to find peace and tranquility and all my "lower 48" problems just to float away in your thin mountain air as soon as I cross the state lines, I don't expect the weather to be the same there as it is here in KS (oh god PLEASE tell me its not going to be the same!! Our heat index was 115 degrees yesterday, and I don't have air conditioning!! )

I am not naive enough to think anything in my life will ever be easy, in fact this move will be the hardest thing I have ever done, I will be leaving my family 4000 miles behind not knowing when I will be able to see any of them again and coming to a place I do not know one person, I need to do this for myself, and hopefully I will meet new wonderful people and see new wonderful places along the way to make it all worth it..nothing has ever been easy for me in the past I don't know why that would change just because I changed my address.

I appreciate all the warnings, advice, thoughts and especially the pictures you all post.. you all give me much to think about as I plan my move and that is what I am on here for so thank you!
You'll make it just fine by the sounds!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,200,240 times
Ditto the above, you sound like a good head and no 'surreal' expectations...I don't think they sell air conditioners up here do they?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM

164 posts, read 277,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Ditto the above, you sound like a good head and no 'surreal' expectations...I don't think they sell air conditioners up here do they?
Lol...That would be the one expectation I guess I have for AK... I hope I will never need an air conditioner up there!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM

16,465 posts, read 21,555,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
  1. You need to realize that the AIP is a joke.
  2. See item 1.
Nah, anti-secessionists are a joke. The federal government is going to crumble apart anyways, then the states will become independent even without seceding.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM

149 posts, read 314,005 times
haha rance i like the way you explained it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,915,809 times
My first job here was selling ice to the Natives. I went broke and starved to death!

Seriously, skilled labor and engineering people are pretty good commodities here. Ditto, medical personnel.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Status: "Sad for what California's becoming" (set 3 days ago)

1,656 posts, read 2,076,993 times
I'm thinking of buying a million dollar condo in New York city. I've never been there, but I've seen it on TV.

Sounds kinda silly doesn't it?

That's all I'm saying. Moving inside would be great, but come up and check it out first.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM

20,508 posts, read 26,656,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm thinking of buying a million dollar condo in New York city. I've never been there, but I've seen it on TV.

Sounds kinda silly doesn't it?

That's all I'm saying. Moving inside would be great, but come up and check it out first.
So, do you live here now or are you still in Cali?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or