Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,660 times

Advertisements

Oh, if you want that dry brine receipe let me know. I'm upstairs in the loft & the book's down in the kitchen but I'd get off my duff and get it if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Beautiful pic as usual GrammasC...

Does that plant on the left need water or is it the picture..can you tell I studied it closely, love your kitchen...

Geeze, I can't get away with anything around this place. Yes, Granny, that plant needs water. I think houseplants are a pain but when we finished this cabin my dagburn friends brought me houseplants! Been tryin' to kill 'em for 10 years.
Thanks for the kudos you guys. The tide's out in this picture. Around this time last year at high tide I looked out those windows just in time to see a whale fly out of the water. I'm waiting to get a picture of that through those windows.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 AM

471 posts, read 1,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Oh, if you want that dry brine receipe let me know. I'm upstairs in the loft & the book's down in the kitchen but I'd get off my duff and get it if you want.
Yep, I would love to get that receipe, if you have time. The fish I was referring to as russian river reds are just sockeyes we caught out of the russian river were it flows into the kenia river. I had seen a couple of those little chief smokers afew weekends ago at yard sales and did'nt even think about buying one. I won't let that happen again.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
Quote:
I would love the recipe!! please PM it unless there are so many others and you post it in the forum. thanks! Might just have to buy some Copper River Salmon today and give it a try!!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 AM

Here you go... SMOKED BROWN-SUGAR CURED SALMON

Mix together:

2 cups seasalt
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbs. pepper
1 tbs. each: crushed bay leaves, allspice, cloves and mace (if I don't have mace I use nutmeg but
add a little extra)
I like to cut my fish in 1" strips for hanging. If you choose to use chunks on racks, cut your pieces about 1 1/2" by 4"

Dredge your salmon strips in this mixture, as much as will cling to the fish ...and leave it 6 to 8 hours

Rinse well to remove all traces of salt then soak in frequently changed water for 4 to 6 hours. Swish the fish around in plenty of fresh water and change the water every hour or so.

Allow fish to air-dry at least 6 hours, if it's raining-10. I pre-hang 1" strips in the smokehouse with a fan blowing directly on them. If you're smoking chunks on racks, spray the racks with Pam, spread your fish so it doesn't touch the next piece and arrange the racks in front of a fan. This not only helps form a nice firm skin over the fish but also keeps the bugs away. Your fish should feel dry, or at least tacky to the touch before you start smoking, otherwise the moisture will weep out of the fish and look icky.

The instructions say to smoke for 16-24 hours but I can never get a cool enough smoke for that long.
If you're canning your fish, 3-4 hours of smoke should be enough then process at 10lbs pressure for 90 minutes in pint or 1/2 pint jars. About 8 hours in my smokehouse seems to be just right for eating or freezing. It's good 'til it's gone, vacuum packed and frozen.

If you don't have time for all that and want a delicious canned salmon try this:

GARLIC SAUCE FOR CANNING SALMON

1 pint ketchup
1/2 pint salad oil
1 heaping tbs. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup cider vinegar
10 large, fresh, crushed garlic cloves

Bring all this to a boil and add 1 tablespoon to each 1/2 pint jar, seal and process as usual. Don't open for at least a month! This gets better and better as it ages. It's so good you'll want to eat it right out of the jar.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,846,302 times
The garlic one looks great!!! but...how much salmon do you need (as I am a beginner on canning it)

Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
The garlic one looks great!!! but...how much salmon do you need (as I am a beginner on canning it)
A couple nice kings, 30lb or so each...or 3-4 sockeye should do 16 pints. I'm guessing here, but that sounds about right. I skin 'em for canning but leave the bones in.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM

164 posts, read 328,637 times
Is that something someone will teach me how to do start (catching them) to finish (eating them) when I get there? If it don't involve a cow or a pig your not taught how to cook it around here not to mention buy it.. borrrring.. Not saying I don't love my cows though... mmmmm...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
A couple nice kings, 30lb or so each...or 3-4 sockeye should do 16 pints. I'm guessing here, but that sounds about right. I skin 'em for canning but leave the bones in.
Okay, sounds easy enough...do you keep the mix really wet, medium wet, barely wet...that should do it...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
Is that something someone will teach me how to do start (catching them) to finish (eating them) when I get there? If it don't involve a cow or a pig your not taught how to cook it around here not to mention buy it.. borrrring.. Not saying I don't love my cows though... mmmmm...
I am sure they will, I think most here like their fishing...As long as you like seafood, I think you will find nothing compares to the taste and quality of what is available here, and even better if you know you got it yourself...Lots of help around here to help with the cooking too, as you can see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska