Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 45,975 times

Advertisements

I am looking for residents of Tok. I have been looking to move up to Alaska for the last 10 years and I finally got my wife to agree to moving.

What I am looking for is information on Tok. I have done all the research I can on the net and have tons of saved pages in my favorites list. However there things that you can not get from a web page. I am interested in discussing daily life up there.

We are a family of 6 and I have a small chainsaw business right now that is internet based that I will be bringing up with us. Our children are between 6 and 18 so school information is also needed.

Some of the things we would like to know are about property prices? If there are places to cut wood? What the hunting is like? what the fishing is like? What kind of summer jobs are available? What kind of businesses are in town? Crime? Issues that I have not considered and that are unique. What the churches are like in Tok? and so on.

I would really like to meet others on here from Tok and be able to carry on a conversation in the forum here so that we have a better idea of what it is like. I plan on making a trip up there in late spring to a take a look first hand at the area. I plan on being up there for a good week.

Where do the locals have coffee in the morning. Is there a local gathering place?

Thanks, Klickitt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
I don't think anyone on here is from Tok. There isn't much going on there. And it's cold.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 45,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
There isn't much going on there. And it's cold.
That is what makes it so apealing to me. I can take my business any where because of it being internet based; so being able to go remote has fewer drawbacks for our family.

We were looking at Eagle as well but for some reason we just kind of drifted away from that idea.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klickitt View Post
I am looking for residents of Tok. I have been looking to move up to Alaska for the last 10 years and I finally got my wife to agree to moving.

What I am looking for is information on Tok. I have done all the research I can on the net and have tons of saved pages in my favorites list. However there things that you can not get from a web page. I am interested in discussing daily life up there.

We are a family of 6 and I have a small chainsaw business right now that is internet based that I will be bringing up with us. Our children are between 6 and 18 so school information is also needed.

Some of the things we would like to know are about property prices? If there are places to cut wood? What the hunting is like? what the fishing is like? What kind of summer jobs are available? What kind of businesses are in town? Crime? Issues that I have not considered and that are unique. What the churches are like in Tok? and so on.

I would really like to meet others on here from Tok and be able to carry on a conversation in the forum here so that we have a better idea of what it is like. I plan on making a trip up there in late spring to a take a look first hand at the area. I plan on being up there for a good week.

Where do the locals have coffee in the morning. Is there a local gathering place?

Thanks, Klickitt
We've been through Tok several times. I suggest you do take a trip there. Keep in mind that the other day it was 80 below there.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,692 times
Make sure you are able to get stable dsl or other high speed internet then. Tok is well....cold. -80 the other day so hopefully you like chilly weather.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Well, I am not from Tok, but can tell you that quite often it gets colder than in Fairbanks. For example, a couple of days ago the temperature reached -78 degrees F. If you are fast enough, you may be able to read some news about Tok on the "drudgereport.com"

Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
We passed through Tok this past summer. They do have high speed internet because we were able to make a wireless connection at the motel with good service. Cells also work there, but once you get a few miles out , you lose service. We turned off to Anchorage, so I don't know if it was continuous service to Delta Junction. I believe there was one main grocery store there. Store prices were anywhere from 10-40% higher than say Anchorage. Gas was about $0.50 higher than Anchorage at the time. I'm guessing you only have USPS for shipping, but I could be wrong. The main restaurant is Fast Eddys, which is surprisingly good for a remote location. It's the only place I eat at when passing through. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,403 times
If you're interested in info about Tok, check out my blog Living in Tok - [url=http://livingintok.wordpress.com]Living in Tok Alaska: Social Media Capital of the World[/url]

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
Smile Hi.. I'm from Tok.. though it's been a few years

Hi, my name is Croley.. Robert Croley. I"m soon to be on my way back up to AK and will pass thru Tok to check on my land there and try and find my Dad's rifles... I'm also going to look up old friends in Mentasta.

We left Alaska as a family twenty years ago and settled in AZ as my parents were getting older. My parents have since passed away, my two kids are both out of high school and need a lesson in self sufficency.

We're headed for Anchorage at least to try to make a start, we might have difficulty with this as none of us have jobs, we do though have exceptional talent when it comes to feeding ourselves and can start a business doing lotsa stuff. We're even prepared to live in a tent down Southeast if we have to...

I'll probably be putting together a website (with a place for donations) about our oddssey, as we're really out for adventure... I'd be happy to answer questions... you can write me at [EMAIL="rcroley@q.com"]rcroley@q.com[/EMAIL] which will change soon once I've got a spot for a root in AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska