U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:31 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,089,174 times

Advertisements

If you want a vacation for architecture hit up the middle east; All the rage is there right now for experimental buildings and dream vacations to spend your entire time staring at stuff you cant afford (and neither can anyone else for that matter).

Warptman your post is very misleading with the suburbs picture. I can clearly see that in the 137th row back of those houses in section B-42 row five that there are two houses with an off white egg-shell coloring. Not all of the houses there just blend in with the opal inverse gray slate or obtuse hemingway pigment brick coloring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:32 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,308,923 times
lol...

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,317,962 times

So, what was it about them lower 48?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,308,923 times
Yea, I don't think I'd live in a house that is the same as the people next door. Not even in....Kodiak?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,089,174 times
That picture I took was on the coast guard base, military housing is literally clones. Once you get away from the base and into town there is all ranges from trailers to ranches with horses and 3 million dollar mansions on the water with their own helipad. I obviously didnt come out here either for the architecture but the large pay (the scenary is an added bonus).

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,078,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I wonder how many people come to Alaska and actually pay attention to the buildings and houses? I figure they came to see glaciers, mountains, and wildlife. "What a crummy vacation, those buildings were sure ugly!"
When ever I go hiking, that's all I look for, houses, really nice houses, and nice buildings. I'll be damned though, I never seem to see any, all I ever see are all these big ugly mountains and such.

It's very disappointing.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,473,314 times
In a place like Alaska one builds for function more than appearances. I'm a big fan of old architecture, lots of 19th and even 18th century homes here in New England...but, take one of those massive Victorians or even one of the old original colonial farmhouses (actually homesteads may be a better description, this place was frontier and wilderness back then...), drop it in Alaska...and you'll be freezing all winter, or broke trying to heat it (broke back from cutting wood, or broke budget from buying fuel). Not practical at all for an arctic or subarctic climate...heck they're not that practical here, I've lived most of my life in older houses here and heating them is not easy. Then add in all the other maintenance on elaborate houses...

And mcmansions, etc...give me a break, I think those are ugly. I'll take a tiny log cabin (which I think are quite nice architecturally) in the wilderness in Alaska over a mcmansion in a suburb in the lower 48...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,232,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Everyone that I know who has ever been to Alaska has said that the architecture in Alaskan cities and towns is terrible. I saw many pictures of various buildings and homes and the architecture is not pleasing to the eye. Why did Alaska build such ugly buildings? Why are they like that?
Because we're individuals, not sheep. And also you can only do so much with an igloo.......

Last edited by DannyL; 06-26-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
When ever I go hiking, that's all I look for, houses, really nice houses, and nice buildings. I'll be damned though, I never seem to see any, all I ever see are all these big ugly mountains and such.

It's very disappointing.
I know.....it is so rough being you!!!!! Nothing but nature to look at, dang, let me send you a postcard from new jersey.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Everyone that I know who has ever been to Alaska has said that the architecture in Alaskan cities and towns is terrible. I saw many pictures of various buildings and homes and the architecture is not pleasing to the eye. Why did Alaska build such ugly buildings? Why are they like that?
So what is your point?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska