U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,878,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, I've experienced that. And a porcupine trying to get into the tent (military pup tent...)...I'm glad I woke up before that came in and crawled across my face...
Hah!...That reminds me. I had a porcupine walk through my tent once. In one side and out the other. It was just a tarp open on both ends. Like a dummy, I slept right in the trail. Don't do that.

I was sleeping in and my buddies were sitting around the fire. They warned me and I just hunkered down in my bag as he brushed by. He just kept on walking, seemingly without a care in the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,903,541 times
Tyvek shows up some places and it might take years before they decide to cover it up. It's just an Alaska thing, I think.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM

243 posts, read 411,327 times
I was told property tax didnt come into play till it was a "home". Meaning the Tyvek was covered with siding of some nature.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 AM

16,458 posts, read 21,495,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Hah!...That reminds me. I had a porcupine walk through my tent once. In one side and out the other. It was just a tarp open on both ends. Like a dummy, I slept right in the trail. Don't do that.

I was sleeping in and my buddies were sitting around the fire. They warned me and I just hunkered down in my bag as he brushed by. He just kept on walking, seemingly without a care in the world.
Now imagine if you were sleeping where it was going to walk.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM

3,788 posts, read 6,679,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Better than living in one of these where each house looks the same!
Wife on the phone: We've been circling around here for an hour. Where is your house?
Mother in law on phone: I told you to make a right, no your other right. I don't understand why its so hard to find. Its a white house that is two stories and has a driveway. What is so complicated about this?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,333,300 times
lol

Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,614,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
I was told property tax didnt come into play till it was a "home". Meaning the Tyvek was covered with siding of some nature.
All property within a borough pays property tax in Alaska. It does not matter if there is a home on the property or not. Only those properties outside of any borough do not pay property taxes.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:52 PM

322 posts, read 770,528 times
I confess, I was *shocked* one day when I was driving a guy around Fairbanks and he said, "This is a beautiful place."

"Beautiful?" I thought. "It has the ugliest architecture of any place I've ever seen."

That was when I realized that I had always thought of architecture and beauty as synonymous. It wasn't that I thought the nature was ugly or anything. The mountains look gorgeous. But ugly architecture is an artistic blight that detracts from noticing the beauty around.

And I never understood why the people up here complained about the museum at UAF when it was the one good looking building we have.

People always tell me that it's too expensive for good looking architecture here. But then I went to Whitehorse and I have to say that even though it is also an arctic climate, it has more architectural charm.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,319,197 times
You're on to some truth there.
Cost must be major issue, but that is not the whole story, it must be also hard to get the whole thing done in such a short time when weather is tolerable, so it gets done in the simplest, fastest way possible.
And in such enviroment there simply might not be craftsmen availiable who take time to get things done in any decorative way. Priorities, you know...

Old 07-03-2009, 03:52 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,965,279 times
Default pretty don't work

A major part of the reason you see so many ugly but functional buildings in Alaska is that so many of them were basically thrown up in a big hurry during economic boom times, like the pipeline era. Probably most of them were just supposed to be "temporary", but you know how that goes.

Another reason is that in our climate, function will almost always trump form. So many "pretty" building so beloved by architects worldwide just plain don't work. They leak, they rot, they rust, they cave in from the snow loads, and get blown down by the wind. It's like the places built by Frank Lloyd Wright, they ALL leak. The half that aren't actively being "restored" (fixed correctly, this time) are maintenance nightmares of the highest order. He may have had an eye for a good line, but he sure couldn't build a watertight roof.

It takes two things to make a building both aesthetically pleasing AND practically functional: good design and lots of money. If the former is good enough you can sometimes save on the latter, but never the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska