U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM

6,919 posts, read 11,708,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Warpt...what is the Igloo??? a bar, hotel??
Hasn't the Igloo been a little bit of everything? I recall buying gas there in years past. Many years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,328,743 times
I think it was a hotel or something or a lodge. It hasn't been open in ages.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,389,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I think it was a hotel or something or a lodge. It hasn't been open in ages.
where is it located exactly?? Could make one heck of an interesting house!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:15 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,328,743 times
Cantwell, AK - Igloo City - Igloo-shaped Building

Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,577,616 times
They should paint it to match the background or something. Because it is butt ugly.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,611,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
They should paint it to match the background or something. Because it is butt ugly.
At least it is on topic.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM

6,919 posts, read 11,708,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
It was born that way.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 PM

16,494 posts, read 20,042,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
A major part of the reason you see so many ugly but functional buildings in Alaska is that so many of them were basically thrown up in a big hurry during economic boom times, like the pipeline era. Probably most of them were just supposed to be "temporary", but you know how that goes.
You should see some of the trashy houses that went up in Las Vegas during the recent boom times, with 30,000 of them now sitting vacant. I can almost hear the houses speaking: Buldozer, where are thou!

It takes two things to make a building both aesthetically pleasing AND practically functional: good design and lots of money. If the former is good enough you can sometimes save on the latter, but never the other way around.[/quote]

I have traveled widely throughout Latin America, and one thing I notice right after going south of the Mexican Border is you, rarely if ever, see houses built of wood. Concrete houses all the way throughout Latin America! And you can walk down any street in Mexico, Central America or South America are rarely see two alike. What a joy to walk through their neighborhoods down there with their profusion of balconies, rooftop decks, curved walls, and wrought iron of every conceivable design.

I realize that the earthquake belt runs from Alaska to the tip of Chile, and perhaps that's why they only build with concrete. I had a house designed for me in Northern Baja and every iota of that building, with the curved walls and rooftop deks, was to be made of non-wood material.

I really don't think the cost of concrete is the factor. There is now a townhouse developer in Las Vegas building all-concrete townhouses, a la Latin America, with rooftop decks, and he claims (there was an article in the paper about this) that it only costs $3k more to build a house with concrete.

Granted, it takes a lot more time to build a concrete house, but perhaps that is the reason we see so few concrete motels, commercial buildings and houses. Developers are too much in a hurry to get it up as fast as possible.
And where did all that rapidity get them here in Las Vegas! It'll take years and years to sell off all this unsold inventory, largely built by illegal Mexicans, who don't build wood houses in their own countries. It's a shame that we didn't employ their skills to build concrete houses while they were here.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,877,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Granted, it takes a lot more time to build a concrete house, but perhaps that is the reason we see so few concrete motels, commercial buildings and houses. Developers are too much in a hurry to get it up as fast as possible.
So concrete houses are beautiful? It's in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 AM

16,494 posts, read 20,042,833 times
What I like most about the concrete houses and motels down there is the rooftop decks. I drop my bags in my room, and make a mad dash to the top for a nice 360 degree view of the city. Kick back in a hammock and watch the world go by! I haven't found a motel in this country, yet, that offers such an amenity.

I also feel much more secure staying in those motels, knowing if there's a fire, the fire will be contained to that room and that room only. I don't have worry about being awakened some night that the whole building is on fire or a stray bullet piercing my bedroom wall. And if I had a concrete house here in Las Vegas I wouldn't worry so much about a fire starting up in the middle of the night.

I find them attractive largely because of the solidity of the construction.
And the house I had designed had curved walls on both sides of the house, and curved walls inside and it was designed to withstand an earthquake of 7 on the Richter scale. But that wouldn't do for Alaska, bearing that quake you had up there in 1964?

It's to each his own. There are pluses and minuses to both wood and concrete, but for me, concrete all the way!

Aren't we one of the few countries in the world that still builds with wood? I read that in China, no house is a house unless it's built with concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska