U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,170,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What I like most about the concrete houses and motels down there is the rooftop decks. I drop my bags in my room, and make a mad dash to the top for a nice 360 degree view of the city. Kick back in a hammock and watch the world go by! I haven't found a motel in this country, yet, that offers such an amenity.

I also feel much more secure staying in those motels, knowing if there's a fire, the fire will be contained to that room and that room only. I don't have worry about being awakened some night that the whole building is on fire or a stray bullet piercing my bedroom wall. And if I had a concrete house here in Las Vegas I wouldn't worry so much about a fire starting up in the middle of the night.

I find them attractive largely because of the solidity of the construction.
And the house I had designed had curved walls on both sides of the house, and curved walls inside and it was designed to withstand an earthquake of 7 on the Richter scale. But that wouldn't do for Alaska, bearing that quake you had up there in 1964?

It's to each his own. There are pluses and minuses to both wood and concrete, but for me, concrete all the way!

Aren't we one of the few countries in the world that still builds with wood? I read that in China, no house is a house unless it's built with concrete.
Do you mean concrete, or adobe, or is adobe a thing of the past also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,181 times
form vs function.

if everyone were focused on functionality instead of superficiality, we'd have a lot more money because the things we build would last longer, work better and be cheaper to use. frugal efficiency would be a major aim to be monopolized on, not an advertisement slogan for a gadget. the fact that people care more about the appearance of something than it's usability just demonstrates the ridiculous spoiled nature of people in the US today. it's a choice like frivolous spending and waste on appearance that has helped california earn their position as the butt of every financial joke they are today.

wait, what are we talking about... oh buildings... um, yeah i don't know why they look however they look.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
Down here in California, Arizona, Nevada we build wood framed homes with stucko on the outside. I know in some parts of the world they are not too familiar with stucko. After framing the home a wire mesh, or woven wire material something akin to thin wire fencing attatched to a black paper material is placed on the wood studs and covered in the stucko material that goes on moist and dries to form a solid looking although fairly hard material. It can be shapped to fit differant astetic tastes. It is also a very cost effective building material and due to the nature of the South West environment works well with us down here. I like it but chances are it would not work in the Alaskan environment.

As far as visiting Alaska for the buildings, not too sure what that would be about. I for one want to experience some things that I can not experience down here. I want to see the Northern Lights, I want to see the sun up at night time, I want to check out the fishing. So much more to offer than a building.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,599,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Down here in California, Arizona, Nevada we build wood framed homes with stucko on the outside. I know in some parts of the world they are not too familiar with stucko. After framing the home a wire mesh, or woven wire material something akin to thin wire fencing attatched to a black paper material is placed on the wood studs and covered in the stucko material that goes on moist and dries to form a solid looking although fairly hard material. It can be shapped to fit differant astetic tastes. It is also a very cost effective building material and due to the nature of the South West environment works well with us down here. I like it but chances are it would not work in the Alaskan environment.

As far as visiting Alaska for the buildings, not too sure what that would be about. I for one want to experience some things that I can not experience down here. I want to see the Northern Lights, I want to see the sun up at night time, I want to check out the fishing. So much more to offer than a building.
There are quite a few stucco contractors in Alaska, although I cannot say that I have seen many stucco structures. Stucco can be disguised as other materials, so I may have seen stucco structures and not recognize it as being stucco. It could also be that since stucco is of Spanish origin, it is more commonly found in the southern states than in the northern states.

Stucco is particularly susceptible to water damage, and requires a high level of maintenance. That could be another reason why stucco is not as commonly used in Alaska as in other parts of the US.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM

16,480 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Do you mean concrete, or adobe, or is adobe a thing of the past also?
Adobe would crumble to pieces in an earthquake. Las Vegas couldn't do adobe, we don't have the soil for it, as many parts of the world. Phoenix is perfect for it. They have the adobe and New Mexico.

We're talking concrete here.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,496,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Absolutely. I laugh at myself when I wake up in the middle of night in the summer during all of our light and think it's time to get up and look at the clock and it's only 1:30 a.m. I love all of the summer light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska