U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM

50 posts, read 140,812 times

Advertisements

Good suggestions akck! As for the fine print, the ad was on so many times last night that I got to see it again and again, plus it wasn't really written in those teeny, tiny letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM

20 posts, read 34,421 times
I just ordered it anyways and just put AL in the field for state. Hopefully the Post Office will go with the zip not the state abbrv. I got an email from Glidden saying that I would recieve it in a few weeks?! We'll see......

Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 PM

860 posts, read 1,710,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Yeah, like when gas prices were falling, it took a week or two before the price fell about half the national rate. Now that the price is going up, we see increases about two to three times a week. Gouging not going on, yeah right!

I don't know about Oreck, but I've used some of the online parts stores, such as repairclinic.com, who offer cheaper shipping. From the sounds of it, they charged you 2nd day air and sent it regular mail, what a rip-off.
The lowest our gas ever got was $3.30, that's when Seattle was paying $l.69. That's where our gas comes from, takes 1 day for the barge to get here. Now that it's going up down there it's up to $3.49 here already. Heating oil is $5.96, has been all winter. No price gouging my ass!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,239,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I notice more & more that on television at any rate the united states is simply the lower 48. No mention is ever made of Alaska & Hawaii.
To me that definetly is a good thing.

Now to perhaps explain a few things...at least from Juneau...if you needed a new door...you ordered it from Seattle.
If you needed an new window...ORDER IT FROM SEATTLE!

Now with the new Home Depot opening last year things are a bit easier. You can actually walk in and buy a damn door.

Maybe you should call the Home Depot in Juneau and see what kind of response you get. My bet that offer is only good in the lower 48. Fine with me.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM

20,484 posts, read 26,627,867 times
It's 2.90 on POW.

I need some of that free paint to spruce up my house for the lower 48 tourists so they won't complain.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,239,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's 2.90 on POW.

I need some of that free paint to spruce up my house for the lower 48 tourists so they won't complain.
Are you at POW right now?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM

20,484 posts, read 26,627,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Are you at POW right now?
Oh yes.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 38,765 times
This reminds me of the time when Dateline used to do these shows where people could vote for something and it said "vote now, live in all time zones". Great... except if you tried to vote from AK you couldn't I sent them a very seathing letter explaining how AK did indeed have a time zone, yet we couldn't vote and to quit misleading viewers that "everyone" could vote. Neverheard back from them but they did stop saying "live in all time zones".

Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM

45 posts, read 90,845 times
Tesoro only imports about 25% of the oil it refines into gas and diesel and other products, not always from the same source.
So most of what we use in our cars and trucks comes from their refinery in Nikiski and is north slope crude based. So, long story short, the price we pay is set by Tesoro and to some degree on several factors concerning price and other factors in the -48, but mostly it is based on the relatively low priority, at least from Tesoro's perspective, of auto fuel. They much prefer to make jet fuel and have to spend a lot more to make the low-emission diesel now required at the pumps. I don't work for Tesoro and have no vested interest in defending them, just want to point out that our prices are not necessarily on an equal footing with the -48's. Feel free to chime in and correct me where I not been accurate. Enquiring minds want to know!!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,911,770 times
I just want to know why three years ago our prices were on a par with many Outside locations and since then we have been paying more than anyone else.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I don't think so. Of course, I am not talking about the price of fuel outside of the Anchorage bowl, because I know how much the price of fuel is/was in the Bush communities and further off the main roads. And I shouldn't be complaining at all. And their pricing is higher still than it was 3-4 years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska