U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,705,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
If you want to cause them trouble, file complaints with the FTC, FCC and BBB. You can do it online and all it will cost you is some of your time. You can also complain to the station airing the ad. How in the heck were you able to read the fine print? It's so small and goes by so fast.
Tis why the VCR was invented.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM

5,352 posts, read 15,863,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
The lowest our gas ever got was $3.30, that's when Seattle was paying $l.69. That's where our gas comes from, takes 1 day for the barge to get here. Now that it's going up down there it's up to $3.49 here already. Heating oil is $5.96, has been all winter. No price gouging my ass!
I think it got down to $2.08 here and is now up to $2.74 now, so not as bad as you. I find it very curious that when the price was dropping, it took them a couple of weeks to buy cheap gas, but now that it's rising, they buy it every 2-3 days. At least that's how the gas prices reacted at the pump.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 AM

97 posts, read 196,109 times
2.85 here for the cheap stuff at one of the cheapest joints in town, and I live less than 20 miles from an oil refinery.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 90,735 times
just paid $3.19 at the Tesoro in Kenai

Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,173,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbytes View Post
just paid $3.19 at the Tesoro in Kenai
Ouch...sounds like it went up again in past few days...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM

860 posts, read 1,706,929 times
Well, $3.43 here today. I knew I should have gotten those dang jerry jugs filled when it was $3.30. Wish somebody could tell me why it's cheaper in Kenai than Wrangell. Wrangell's only 800 miles from Seattle where the stuff comes from for pete's sake. Course it's cheaper in Petersburg too - by nearly a dollar. Hmmm, maybe that's why the gas station owner has more money than anybody else in town, equal to the grocer.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,372,339 times
Most of the ads on TV are misleading, or at least subtle marketing lies, but this one really is false advertising and should be reported. You should demand a non-expiring gift card for the purchase of the paint at Lowes or Wally-world.

I think it's a sin that so many mail order companies refuse to ship to Alaska, and the ones that do charge extortion rates. You'd think we were on Mars or something. A lot of places only ship with UPS... well, I know the brown van ain't gonna drive down the Elliott Hwy to deliver my stuff! Luckily, we still have friends in Seattle, so we'll have stuff shipped to them and then they will mail it to us... still costs less! Have friends in Fairbanks, and they'll let me use their address for deliveries if necessary. That will at least save me from having to pay the extortion fee at the UPS store to rent a post box or having to rush and waste an entire day driving into Fairbanks to pick up a package they're holding at the depot before they decide to send it back (at my expense!) to the seller.

I've even found a few places that will ship to foreign countries, but not to Alaska and Hawaii?!? WTF?!?!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,900,209 times
I buy a lot of books online and they sometimes (not always) charge more for Alaska. It's got a regular book rate via USPS, but we're Alaska, so we get to pay for the privelege.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:43 PM

6,306 posts, read 4,178,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpuppy View Post
Last night I saw an ad on the TV for a free quart of Glidden paint. It ran several times on the Bravo channel and is available June 25 through July 2nd I think. I was so excited because I have been painting the house we are living in white, and I wanted to use some color. I also live out in the bush so it's not like I can jump on my four-wheeler and run down to Lowe's or WallyWorld. So I get online to make my order and find that they don't send Alaskans a free quart of paint! I thought that was very interesting since the TV ad featured Native people on a dogsled going through the snow holding a quart of paint, the ad stated, "everyone should have color" or something to that effect, and the ad said in the fine print at the end, "available to US residents only". Hello? Aren't Alaskans US residents??? This morning I made a call to the Glidden company to lodge my complaint. The lady I spoke to was very sympathetic and is forwarding my complaint to the marketing department since they made a huge boo-boo and should correct their ad. I'm still not getting my free quart of paint, but IMO, they shouldn't be running an ad on TV featuring Natives on dogsleds and disclaimers saying available to US residents only if they aren't going to follow through. If anyone else would like to call, the number to Glidden is 1-800-454-3336.
I sent an email to Glidden and got one back that I will get a free quart through Home Depot here in Wasilla.

Oh, it's good to see everyone is still trailing off topic on threads. I went to the end of this thread and found that the topic had changed to I believe gas prices..

Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 PM

97 posts, read 196,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I sent an email to Glidden and got one back that I will get a free quart through Home Depot here in Wasilla.

Oh, it's good to see everyone is still trailing off topic on threads. I went to the end of this thread and found that the topic had changed to I believe gas prices..

Good to see them doing the right thing here. The ad with the way it clearly depicts an Alaskan and them not backing it up is just plain nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska