Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times

Advertisements

Hello Alaska. We are (13-17) years old young radio amateurs and we have sent this message from Erzurum in TURKEY. It is a preferred touristic city because it is -35 °C in winter.

http://www.erzurumtrac.org/giris/images/phocagallery/genc_amatorler/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_genc_sdr5.jpg (broken link)

TA9KE is call sign of our radio amateur union. We are going to use TA9KE-YT in these forums. Our union has given some educative duties to us to investigate and to develop our foreign language. This is our last duty:

http://www.erzurumtrac.org/giris/images/phocagallery/zirve_2007/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_zirve16.jpg (broken link)

It has ask us to prepare a report about a radio amateur station too far from our country, for example polar region, when and how to communicate this station, what are their frequencies etc.”

http://www.erzurumtrac.org/giris/images/phocagallery/zirve_2007/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_zirve10.jpg (broken link)

That’s why we have chosen the Alaska region. We haven’t known yet whether we will be able to hear Alaska on HF radio. So, we need some help. Would you like o help us about following subjects?

- Have you ever heard a station from Turkey there?
- Can we communicate you on HF, CW,and SSTV etc.?
- What kind of stations are there in Alaska or polar region and how can we communicate them?

If it is possible to communicate,

- From which country?
- What are their call signs?
- Coordinates of the stations
- On which USB-LSB
- On which frequencies
- Time of communication (as UTC)
- Period of communication
- Can we hear them?
- How many output power do we need?
- Can we see them on APRS?
- Can we communicate them on APRS?
- Can we find AIS traces of ships that go there on APRS info in Google Map?

You can communicate us under this message or you can use youngteam@erzurumtrac.org. Please use “from Alaska to TA9KE-YT” on your reply as a title. The other radio amateurs can write to us, too.

(We hope that the administrators permit this message is permanent. We thanks a lot them)

Web Main Page: http://www.erzurumtrac.org

Yankee's:
http://www.erzurumtrac.org/giris/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=65&I temid=104

Charlie's:
www.erzurumtrac.org/giris/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=64&I temid=105

Video Channel: www.metacafe.com/channels/TA9KE/

Thanks for your interests.

Last edited by TA9KE-YT; 07-03-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I wouldn't know Turkish if I heard it in stereo!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA9KE-YT View Post
Hello Alaska. We are (13-17) years old young radio amateurs and we have sent this message from Erzurum in TURKEY. It is a preferred touristic city because it is -35 °C in winter.

LOL. Preferred touristic city at -35 C. Thats a clear choice.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:30 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
LOL. Preferred touristic city at -35 C. Thats a clear choice.
Not possible, they've must have gotten it wrong. Not even southern Sweden gets those temperatures in winter, so there's no way that Turkey does.

I don't think you can get Turkish radio in Alaska. Too far away. But then, I've never studied the subject, so anything is possible, I guess. But since I can't get radio from northern Sweden, and never have been able to get anything south of Germany, I can't see the possibility that Turkish radio could travel all the way to Alaska (or vice versa).

Other than that... No clue. I have a counsin who works for a radio station, so he might know what all the terms mean, but I don't (unfortunately).
Hope someone does and can help you

Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I haven't DX'd in ham radio in over 30 years, but I can tell you that at one time I had several DX postcards from Turkey. I lived in Chicago at that time, so I couldn't say whether hams up here have received DX's from Turkey. They probably have. Sorry can't help more.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Not possible, they've must have gotten it wrong. Not even southern Sweden gets those temperatures in winter, so there's no way that Turkey does.
Sweden's climate is moderated by the North Atlantic Current and as consequently much warmer at any given latitude than are other locations. One dramatic example is to compare any latitude in Alaska to the same latitude in Sweden, and the Alaska climate will be significantly colder.

Turkey on the other hand is not moderated by an ocean current, and is well known for the typical temperature extremes that are experienced inland. Apparently Erzurum can actually experience temperatures of -40F (-40C). Other parts of Turkey experience summer highs of 110F (43C). Note that Interior Alaska experiences an even larger range, from -80F (-62C) to 100F (32C), and there are locations in Siberia with an even wider range than that! Also note that at similar latitudes within the US, Nebraska for example, it is not at all uncommon to see -40.
Quote:
I don't think you can get Turkish radio in Alaska. Too far away.
It would be very unlikely that anyone in Alaska would hear AM broadcast band radio from Turkey, but shortwave is an entirely different beast. It depends greatly on the sunspot cycle, and we are just now moving into the higher part of an 11 year cycle, hence in the next few years it will become more and more likely that Amateur Band HF radio communications between Alaska and Turkey would be possible at any given time of the day depending on which frequencies are used.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA9KE-YT View Post

TA9KE is call sign of our radio amateur union. We are going to use TA9KE-YT in these forums. Our union has given some educative duties to us to investigate and to develop our foreign language. This is our last duty:

It has ask us to prepare a report about a radio amateur station too far from our country, for example polar region, when and how to communicate this station, what are their frequencies etc.”

That’s why we have chosen the Alaska region. We haven’t known yet whether we will be able to hear Alaska on HF radio. So, we need some help. Would you like o help us about following subjects?

- Have you ever heard a station from Turkey there?
- Can we communicate you on HF, CW,and SSTV etc.?
- What kind of stations are there in Alaska or polar region and how can we communicate them?

If it is possible to communicate,

- From which country?
- What are their call signs?
- Coordinates of the stations
- On which USB-LSB
- On which frequencies
- Time of communication (as UTC)
- Period of communication
- Can we hear them?
- How many output power do we need?
- Can we see them on APRS?
- Can we communicate them on APRS?
- Can we find AIS traces of ships that go there on APRS info in Google Map?

You can communicate us under this message or you can use youngteam@erzurumtrac.org. Please use “from Alaska to TA9KE-YT” on your reply as a title. The other radio amateurs can write to us, too.

(We hope that the administrators permit this message is permanent. We thanks a lot them)

Web Main Page: TELSİZ ve RADYO AMATÖRLERİ CEMİYETİ - TRAC ERZURUM ŞUBE BAŞKANLIĞI

Yankee's:
Bayan Amatörler

Charlie's:
Genç Amatörler

Video Channel: TA9KE's Channel at Metacafe

Thanks for your interests.

Greetings from KL7-land!

Yes, communication via ham HF radio is possible between Turkey and Alaska. I personally have not worked Turkey, but others have. Most common is via 20m band, but depending on the sunspot cycle 17m, 15m, and 10m may also work. 40m is very difficult for us, due to foreign AM broadcast...it is hard for us to hear. 80m might work under ideal conditions, which is seldom for us.

When I had a 20m yagi beam, I could easily hear Europe from here by aiming "straight over the pole" (true north), so it would probably make sense if you did the same. I think any antenna capable of 6db or more gain, with about 500 to 1000 watts should do the job. Propagation for us to Europe was best during our night-time hours...after sunset.
Unfortunately, I am not currently set up with antennas to help you out, so I would therefore suggest you get in contact with the ham radio club in Anchorage (because it has the most members in Alaska). I am sure there are dx-ers there who would be interested in working Turkey. Here is their web address:

AARC

Good luck & 73
"Bud", aka KL7EU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: