U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM

50 posts, read 140,620 times

Advertisements

Last night I saw an ad on the TV for a free quart of Glidden paint. It ran several times on the Bravo channel and is available June 25 through July 2nd I think. I was so excited because I have been painting the house we are living in white, and I wanted to use some color. I also live out in the bush so it's not like I can jump on my four-wheeler and run down to Lowe's or WallyWorld. So I get online to make my order and find that they don't send Alaskans a free quart of paint! I thought that was very interesting since the TV ad featured Native people on a dogsled going through the snow holding a quart of paint, the ad stated, "everyone should have color" or something to that effect, and the ad said in the fine print at the end, "available to US residents only". Hello? Aren't Alaskans US residents??? This morning I made a call to the Glidden company to lodge my complaint. The lady I spoke to was very sympathetic and is forwarding my complaint to the marketing department since they made a huge boo-boo and should correct their ad. I'm still not getting my free quart of paint, but IMO, they shouldn't be running an ad on TV featuring Natives on dogsleds and disclaimers saying available to US residents only if they aren't going to follow through. If anyone else would like to call, the number to Glidden is 1-800-454-3336.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,984,915 times
I notice more & more that on television at any rate the united states is simply the lower 48. No mention is ever made of Alaska & Hawaii.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,502,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I notice more & more that on television at any rate the united states is simply the lower 48. No mention is ever made of Alaska & Hawaii.
Maybe that's a good thing ?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,328,743 times
Let me guess, the "Native" people were of Asian decent, just like in all the movies about Alaska.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM

Good one, Warpt!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,707,597 times
I've been having an email argument with Oreck for charging me $28.00 shipping for a $20 part that cost $6.50 for them to mail according to the postage stamped on the box. They're trying to tell me that the "post office in your area does not have access to the post office in our area!" WTF is with these people! I feel like I'm being raped every time I have to order something through the mail.
This problem has been brought before our dear governor. Her response is that there is 'no price gouging going on'. Same response she gives when asked about the $6.00 fuel prices. Well, DUH! There are no price gouging laws in the State of Alaska and she won't sign one!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,869,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I've been having an email argument with Oreck for charging me $28.00 shipping for a $20 part that cost $6.50 for them to mail according to the postage stamped on the box. They're trying to tell me that the "post office in your area does not have access to the post office in our area!" WTF is with these people! I feel like I'm being raped every time I have to order something through the mail.
This problem has been brought before our dear governor. Her response is that there is 'no price gouging going on'. Same response she gives when asked about the $6.00 fuel prices. Well, DUH! There are no price gouging laws in the State of Alaska and she won't sign one!!!
Yeah, like when gas prices were falling, it took a week or two before the price fell about half the national rate. Now that the price is going up, we see increases about two to three times a week. Gouging not going on, yeah right!

I don't know about Oreck, but I've used some of the online parts stores, such as repairclinic.com, who offer cheaper shipping. From the sounds of it, they charged you 2nd day air and sent it regular mail, what a rip-off.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,177,196 times
When I bought something from Kodak, I was told Alaska and Hawaii had to pay next day shipping. It was still cheaper so I did, and it took over a week to get here. They told me there was no UPS in our area and they had to transfer to a private delivery service. Bull crap...

Old 06-26-2009, 03:52 PM

All the shipping issues aside, I was just really irritated that the tv ad was SO misleading. Showing dogsledding "Natives" (and also some other Aboriginal-looking folks from Australia?), having voiceovers in regards to their product saying, "So why shouldn't it be for everybody", and a fine print disclaimer at the end saying "US residents only" implies that indeed, EVERYONE (including dogsledding Natives) is entitled to try their product for free. False advertising!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,869,635 times
If you want to cause them trouble, file complaints with the FTC, FCC and BBB. You can do it online and all it will cost you is some of your time. You can also complain to the station airing the ad. How in the heck were you able to read the fine print? It's so small and goes by so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska