U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,080 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've lived in large metropolitan areas for the last six years and when my work contract is up in two years I wanted to try something new. Can someone give me a decent description of the city? Websites only really tell you so much.

Important factors are:

-- Employment. How easy is it to come by? What would one expect to be paid? I do have two college degrees in business if that helps answer the question.

-- The postal system. How long are transit times from the Continental 48? Is it pretty pricey to move possessions from there to Nome? Would I be better off selling most everything?

-- Apartment rental. Are there any websites out there or any other place I could find one if/when this move should occur?

-- Ferry/plane service to Russia (not really all that important...just more curious than anything). Is there any?

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,358 posts, read 32,315,988 times
Reputation: 13696
Nome Chamber of Commerce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 AM
 
345 posts, read 1,112,127 times
Reputation: 107
sell everything you own, arrive with nothing but warm clothes and strong forearms

forget about the rest of the world and have a drink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
6,913 posts, read 11,700,040 times
Reputation: 5573
Nome does have a number of first class drinking establishments.

The Nome Nugget - Alaska's Oldest Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,559 times
Reputation: 15
lookimg to contact the VFW in nome alaska about services for veterans closest VA hospital can some servive on 100% disability in nome would like to do something adventerous in my life before i die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
4,058 posts, read 8,578,299 times
Reputation: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlowe View Post
lookimg to contact the VFW in nome alaska about services for veterans closest VA hospital can some servive on 100% disability in nome would like to do something adventerous in my life before i die

My guess would be Fairbanks for the closest VA hospital but I have done no research into that answer. Ft. Wainwright's Bassett Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,558 posts, read 3,931,382 times
Reputation: 1918
Fairbanks or Anchorage is your closest VA systems: VISN 20: Northwest Network - Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
6,913 posts, read 11,700,040 times
Reputation: 5573
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlowe View Post
lookimg to contact the VFW in nome alaska about services for veterans closest VA hospital can some servive on 100% disability in nome would like to do something adventerous in my life before i die
Then forget about your disability and just go do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,494 posts, read 12,707,672 times
Reputation: 1371
Bassett Army Medical Center at Ft Wainwright is not a VA Hospital or part of the Veterans Affairs system. Bassett is an AMEDD MTF. It is set up to provide services primarily for active duty service members and their beneficiaries.
I work at an MTF. I rarely and i mean RARELY get retirees or elderly patients. They are referred to the VA Hospitals. They are rarely treated at MTF's where the mission is to provide medical care to active duty as priority.
This is why the VA is set up, for retirees.
There is no VA hospital in Fairbanks. Only a VA outpatient clinic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
My guess would be Fairbanks for the closest VA hospital but I have done no research into that answer. Ft. Wainwright's Bassett Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
4,058 posts, read 8,578,299 times
Reputation: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Bassett Army Medical Center at Ft Wainwright is not a VA Hospital or part of the Veterans Affairs system. Bassett is an AMEDD MTF. It is set up to provide services primarily for active duty service members and their beneficiaries.
I work at an MTF. I rarely and i mean RARELY get retirees or elderly patients. They are referred to the VA Hospitals. They are rarely treated at MTF's where the mission is to provide medical care to active duty as priority.
This is why the VA is set up, for retirees.
There is no VA hospital in Fairbanks. Only a VA outpatient clinic.

My friend who is a vet of Navy and Army just had an operation at Wainwright through the VA. But I will double check. I was born at Wainwright to a retired Army vet and his wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top