U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,983,340 times

Advertisements

John love the look of the bottle but the bear does look as though he is having a bit of a digestion problem.

Favorite part of the 6 page (too long) article was the following quote
"More than 30 years ago, John McPhee wrote, “Alaska is a foreign country significantly populated with Americans. Its languages extend to English. Its nature is its own."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,857,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
No, while it may have never been explicitly said, the term messiah is accurately used (IMO) to describe the fanatical belief by some that Obama can SAVE US ALL from everything that ails society.
You can find some who believe that the moon is made of cheese. Then there are some who believe that apples may one day rise of their own accord. Still some believe in Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The moral of the story: just because some believe something it does not mean it is the prevailing view of the majority or that that belief is right (it is possible for the majority to believe in something that is plain wrong).

Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,384,081 times
Many twists in this thread...

Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Many twists in this thread...
Threads are meant to be twisted, turned, woven, snapped, split, braided...you get the idea. The real question is, who will thread the needle?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,307,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
(it is possible for the majority to believe in something that is plain wrong).
Exactly. Obama's election victory proves just that!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Obama's election victory proves just that!
No, Moose, yours is a non sequitur. Obama's victory only proves that a numerical majority voted for him.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But I think that there are naive voters on both sides who tend to think that their candidate of choice holds all the answers.
On that I couldn't agree more. However, I happen to hold the opinion that it is the naive voters which make up the majority, while those who actually the take time to educate themselves are the minority, thus dooming our country to an increasingly dismal political future.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
No, Moose, yours is a non sequitur. Obama's victory only proves that a numerical majority voted for him.
No, it's only a non sequiter if you are open to the possibility that Obama's election could be the correct decision, therefore the majority could be right. Since I obviously harbour no such illusion, the error of the majority is simply a logical conclusion.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Since I obviously harbour no such illusion, the error of the majority is simply a logical conclusion.
That it is an "error" is a presumption on your part which you use to justify your conclusion. This is known in the trade as circular reasoning.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,915,809 times
And just to make sure I tick everyone off, I tell all that I am not happy with anything or anyone in politics today. Palin is an idiot, and shouldn't be allowed time on any national forum. But, having said that, I agree that Obama lacks a certain cachet as a foreign policy guru as well.

I didn't vote for either, as McCain made a choice for VP that I thought lacked any sense. Obama was a little too liberal.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: A plague on both their houses. Obama may actually make a good or even a great president, but that is a matter for the future. I lacked a crystal ball on Election Day. It's still remaining to be seen. McCain might have lived through a 4 year presidency.

But, hell, I thought Reagan was going to be the worst choice for President, because he was nothing more than an actor in the California governor's seat. I disliked Clinton because he was a womanizing, draft-dodging, weasel. He still is, but he wasn't "bad" as a President. Just as a human being and a husband. He actually did nothing to make me think he was a mistake in office.

Hindsight is 20-20, so they say. Warren Harding was a disaster, and so was Bush the younger. I personally left the choice up to everyone else, because all I cared about was the fact that "W" was gone, and ANYONE was a better choice. And yes, I know that I will have no right to complain if the world crashes or Obama makes choices that I think are wrong.

Yep. You all can blame me for McCain losing, Obama winning and the loss of the presidency to the Democrats. So be it. I have broad shoulders. Metaphorically speaking. After all, I'm only 5'5" and weigh about 160. And 10 of that is centered in that pear shaped area in my gut.

So go ahead and shoot, I'll take it like a man. And 10 years from now, when the fallout of whatever is going on now is finally tallied, if Obama comes off as a real statesman, a follower of realpolitik on the world stage, and a financier extraordinaire, I will say, "Yes, you all were right." Until then, we'll just wait and see.

And hopefully, Palin will be over the 15 months of fame and forgotten. But the more you guys feed on this, the longer Alaska will have to be embarassed. At least we don't have to put up with Arnold and state bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or