Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM

65 posts, read 268,501 times

Advertisements

Is it feezable to live in a travel trailer in the winter, say until late Novmeber? Trailer is 27' NW package which not sure is Alaska proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
We stayed in ours a couple years ago for the month of November between rentals. It is feasible, but not as nice as warmer months. Hard to heat and expensive as heck to keep heated, unless run auxillary electric heater maybe,...if you cook will create moisture on the windows, which runs down into the wells and you need to keep wiping out as will overflow onto floor or walls, and eventually create mold. Trust me the cleaning with bleach in each and every window is not fun after the fact. We did not fill the water tanks in ours or use the running water, as the fear of freezing hit hard, either pipes or tanks. We were at an RV park, so filled jugs, heated water for dishes, and they had showers. We used the toilet in ours and hooked the sewer drain up, but that was it. Had antifreeze in the rest of the system. We would have been okay that year, as it was warmer out. It really depends and where and the weather.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 PM

145 posts, read 570,322 times
Hi,

Where will you be living? My son lived in one till the middle of Jan. last year. But he was hooked up to electricity. Still, now that I think about it, the cat's water froze in its bowl on the floor. But, up higher it was ok...except for the -20 to -30 couple of days.

Depending on where you will be, and your personal level of cold tolerance, I'd say...yes. But, we are extremely cold tolerant people.

Hope this helps a little,
Deb

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Not in the interior unless you have a fortune to spend on propane. A former coworker of mine spent a winter in a winterized (insulated) travel trailer. Since he had to work, he would turn the heat down during the day, and there was a thick layer of ice on the floor by the time he returned from work. He had to crank the heat as high as possible to melt the ice, and that cost him quite a lot of money. To make matters worst, propane produces a lot of moisture which then turns to ice near the floor. He had quite a miserable winter that year His best friend had to take him to his home before winter ended.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6369 View Post
Is it feezable to live in a travel trailer in the winter, say until late Novmeber? Trailer is 27' NW package which not sure is Alaska proof.

It is quite freezable to live in a travel trailer in winter.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM

65 posts, read 268,501 times
I am sure it is quite "freezable". Location is Anchorage, more then likely would only be until late Sept or eraly Oct. Just checking if anyone had input. Thanks for the help and advice.

I better keep my options open.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I am sure it is quite "freezable". Location is Anchorage, more then likely would only be until late Sept or eraly Oct. Just checking if anyone had input. Thanks for the help and advice.

If the weather holds out, which it should be fine then and you should do okay, but remember if turns really cold that to heat it costs a fortune and if it snows, rains a lot, you will get the humidity inside with the heat/cold difference. I would cook in the oven quite a bit so to keep the main part warm and shut the doors to our back bedroom until night. I think a good electric heater is more efficient that the propane and costs less, just have the backup.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
An Igloo is much easier to keep warm...

You can adapt to living in the camper at -40 if you go about it properly. I used mine now and then in the winter at sub zero temps.

Don't use the water system, put R/V antifreeze in the water system and don't use the toilet or sink unless it is an emergency since there is no place to dump the holding tank either.

The travel trailer will need to be skirted if you want to keep frost off the floor as well as double the windows with heat shrink film that helps keep them from frosting over.

Anyway, it is doable... Not fun, but doable.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
An Igloo is much easier to keep warm...

You can adapt to living in the camper at -40 if you go about it properly. I used mine now and then in the winter at sub zero temps.

Don't use the water system, put R/V antifreeze in the water system and don't use the toilet or sink unless it is an emergency since there is no place to dump the holding tank either.

The travel trailer will need to be skirted if you want to keep frost off the floor as well as double the windows with heat shrink film that helps keep them from frosting over.

Anyway, it is doable... Not fun, but doable.
Good point with the film on the windows It was too late for us...

Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

Well, Los Anchorage isn't as cold as Squarebanks, but while I lived there in the '70s I remember very windy days at -4 degrees every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: