U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,184,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I just find it amusing that so many who don't live in Alaska have such an interest. Seems Palin generated more interest and posts then other governors. Not a fan of hers but she sure generated some kind of strange "fear or envy" from so many, including lower 48'ers.
Probably because with what comes out of her mouth (without thinking ), she has set a sterotype on top of everything else (igloos, etc.) of Alaskans in general as she represents this state. She ran for VP of the US, which pulls interest from everywhere else, as she could have been (or may try again to be) a national voice and power for the whole country. She just dumped on the state she "loves"...what does that say about what she would do for the country if the going got tough, or a better deal came up

Old 07-03-2009, 07:49 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,295,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If, as she said, she's bowing out because she isn't going to make herself a target for frivolous lawsuits...good for her.
And if that's why she quitting, that excuse doesn't really fly too well up here either. Allot of us up here take pride in the fact that we were able to cheese off so many in the nanny state crowd down in the lower 48. For example, allot of us garnered hours of untold entertainment watching the liberal tree-hugger types down south (Ashley Judd et al) spontaneously prolapse their bowels when Palin endorsed the ADF&G Aerial Predator Control Program.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,406,132 times
One more question. I just listened to the whole announcement.
How does throwing in the towel now help the state? Parnell will be Gov till the end of her term? But there will still be campaigning, an election, and all that goes along with it, correct? There's no guarantee that Parnell will be the next governor? So won't it be MORE disruptive to have Palin, then Parnell, then Parnell running for office, then whoever wins taking over, the ANOTHER change in the guard? Or are these elections like the Hawaii ones - where the winner is chosen in advance by the unions and powers that REALLY run the state? (OK, Cowgirl, now that wasn't nice...)

Whoaaaaaa. That speech was all over the place, didn't give the answers she kept saying she gave, brought a lot of cliches in, was what we speakers call a cotton candy speech - huge and fluffy with no substance. Good thing she's a looker. For those who really DO love her -- Imagine Madeline Albright giving that speech. or Ruth Bader. THEN see how you feel about it... LOL

I thought it odd that she gave this huge announcement in front of - what - a dozen people? When everyone clapped and they showed the "crowd" I just giggled. Mudflats brought up a good point - she's turning the state over to the guy she didn't trust to run it during her VP run.

things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.....

Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah; something must be up. She never struck me as a quitter either. There's some rumors popping up about some sort of pending criminal charges, but that's to be expected..
Rumors? Do tell...

Quote:
I think we ought to start making book while we can, Moose.
I don't know where we could even start! And once written, I doubt that even I would believe it!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 PM

20,470 posts, read 26,600,256 times
By making book I meant a betting pool.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
By making book I meant a betting pool.
Oh, I get it now!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,184,174 times
I find it interesting that other than a few (2 or more) Alaskan residents (or close) are defending her and this decision, most are from the -48, and still the numbers for are way less than any other political confrontations on the subject of the gov in this state...maybe the true picture is coming to light...kind of like watching an old Polaroid develop...

Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,592,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I find it interesting that other than a few (2 or more) Alaskan residents (or close) are defending her and this decision, most are from the -48, and still the numbers for are way less than any other political confrontations on the subject of the gov in this state...maybe the true picture is coming to light...kind of like watching an old Polaroid develop...
I haven't lived here long enough to form a definitive assessment yet. Overall, I like her though. But, that is just my opinion and you know what they say about those...

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM

20,470 posts, read 26,600,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Well, it's one thing to defend Palin herself, but how anyone could defend the decision to walk away like this is beyond me. But then, we don't know the whole story either. I think it's either that someone has some major dirt on her and threatened to go public with it, or all that camera chasing finally paid off and she'll be squawking up a storm on Faux News before we know it.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM

2,567 posts, read 3,092,368 times
Point guard??? Pass the ball so the team can win???

From the sound of today's press conference, one would think Sarah Palin is quitting her job as governor to go play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.

She'd be a cute little cheerleader...NOT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska