U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,855,466 times

Advertisements

The whiff of scandal wafts in -

Quote:
Many political observers in Alaska are fixated on rumors that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home on pristine Lake Lucille in 2002. The home was built just two months before Palin began campaigning for governor, a job which would have provided her enhanced power to grant building contracts in the wide-open state.
Unquote.

Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin? - The Daily Beast

Interesting days lie ahead.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM

20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
You just said it all when you put this in the same context of MJ...Thanks...Like Alaska as a state, rather than the island or foreign posession of US, had issues...No different when things were don't more quickly for New Orleans by the Feds (or the gov acting on behalf of his state) when Katrina hit...Thank you so much, We do appreciate your thoughts!!! Please don't let the door...you know...
Exactly. We may have a small population here, but these things really matter to us. Her deal with exxon could cost real people real jobs.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:06 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,399,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah I figured it was a commie or some such. But it'll be interesting to see whether there's any truth here. I'll have to turn on Faux to get the real scoop.
You know - there is always a thread of truth in the kook blogs.
I thought one comment on mudflats was worth a look: one Alaska fisherman said something on the order of - if this had been talked about "for a long time" she would have planned it better; there was no way she would pull Todd off the fishing boats on July 2 unless something is up. This is the biggest salmon run we'll have and you don't get a do over.

Other posters noted that those weren't her kids on stage with her, and that Parnell looked like he was in shock (have to agree there.)

The comment on the Huff blog by her spokesperson that she wants to resign "so she can go on the campaign trail for other Republicans" is the biggest snow job yet. "Oh - you betcha Sarie Baby. You took 4 colleges to get one degree and quit the Gov office because mean bloggers were picking on you. Sure, come stump for me. I didn't want to win, anyway. They just pulled my number for that big Elk Hunt in Montana."

If THAT was the reason, why didn't she say that? If babies (a VERY legitimate cause) were the reason, why didn't she say that? Man - I'd support that one in a heartbeat. And I'd bet most Alaskans would, too.
When did she write this speech - if it was "a long time coming?" On the back of a soccer program this morning?

Oh WAIT - I KNOW! She's friends with Mark Sanford and she knew this would move the cameras away from him! Sort of a Wag the Polar Bear - er - Dog move.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 PM

20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
It certainly was awfully rushed.

It's moving from the kook blogs to the mainstream. I hope there's no truth to what they are saying.

I suppose that as the evening progresses, we'll see some more squawking about Cali. That state sure is in a hell of a mess. I don't know much about the gov. there, but at least he's not quitting his state.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:

It's moving from the kook blogs to the mainstream. I hope there's no truth to what they are saying.

I suppose that as the evening progresses, we'll see some more squawking about Cali. That state sure is in a hell of a mess. I don't know much about the gov. there, but at least he's not quitting his state.
It might be better for CA if he did quit...but then they'd still have all the legislators and special interest groups responsible for all their problems...we should get rid of CA (sell it to Mexico or let them go off on their own) and put a wall around it to contain the spread of that disease known as californication before other states fall prey to it.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,287,218 times
HEY, one good thing out of all of this - looks like all of the commotion has coaxed Andrew Halcro out of semi-retirement. He just now reactivated his blog, and he's also quoting some sources about the federal investigation rumors as well. Maybe there really is a land mine about to go off in Palin's world.

AndrewHalcro.com |

Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,590,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It might be better for CA if he did quit...but then they'd still have all the legislators and special interest groups responsible for all their problems...we should get rid of CA (sell it to Mexico or let them go off on their own) and put a wall around it to contain the spread of that disease known as californication before other states fall prey to it.
Notrees is a prime example of that affliction. I've lived in Silicon Valley and a huge portion of the people there are patently insane.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,172,045 times
Quote:

You know what..exactly...the going has been nasty for a while, but he is not bailing...at least he has personal character versus the mess he went into when took over as governor, unlike ours...can we spell personal character must more know the definition...

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,287,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
The whiff of scandal wafts in -

Quote:
Many political observers in Alaska are fixated on rumors that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home on pristine Lake Lucille in 2002. The home was built just two months before Palin began campaigning for governor, a job which would have provided her enhanced power to grant building contracts in the wide-open state.
Unquote.

Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin? - The Daily Beast

Interesting days lie ahead.
I've been wondering how SBS has been able to stay in business and compete with Home Depot and Lowes all this time. Hmmm...

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,498,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
So many things cross over from one place to another and change how we are as individuals, and will eventually affect lives, either ours or someone elses in one way or another whereever we may be..and this is one for sure, so we share that knowledge...
True to a certain extent. If I were going to another State's forum to find info I would not be interested in going there solely to blast their politicians since I wouldn't feel it's my place since I didn't live there. But then again, notrees is some kind of a troll who deserves to be in California la la land. Again, fear and envy make people do strange things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska