U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,904,604 times

Advertisements

Trailerguy, that's uncalled for. Try and leave the kids out of the political discussion at hand. Even Letterman had to let that one go, due to poor taste, if not borderline perversion. Palin might be an idiot, but the kids should be off limits.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,485,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Two senators with no pull in Washington would not be good for Alaska.
Maybe yes, maybe not. They way things are in Washington honor and hard work makes no difference. It's all about deals, and there isn't much that the Democrat senator and Lisa can accomplish.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Checked Lisa M.'s approval ratings lately?
No, I haven't. But think about this: Alaska has quite a large block of undeclared voters, and these are the ones who usually swing elections. The Democrats vote for their candidate, the Republican for theirs, and the independent and undeclared decided the outcome.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,251,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Maybe yes, maybe not. They way things are in Washington honor and hard work makes no difference. It's all about deals, and there isn't much that the Democrat senator and Lisa can accomplish.
Even so, a senior senator can get on some key committees and be in a position to deal. When your chosen to be on the the team, it's best to be in a position to play the game to your advantage.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

2,566 posts, read 3,090,659 times
Maybe she's planning to move to South Carolina where she will soon be able to run for governor.

Let's not forget that famous wink!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 PM

20,461 posts, read 26,589,898 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. But think about this: Alaska has quite a large block of undeclared voters, and these are the ones who usually swing elections. The Democrats vote for their candidate, the Republican for theirs, and the independent and undeclared decided the outcome.
Lisa M's approval ratings are much higher than Palin's right now.

I don't think she could be an effective senator. She likes to pick fights. It hasn't served her well in her political career so far.

I've known Lisa M. for a number of years, though not at all well. She was a classmate of my older sibling and I remember her being at a few functions. She seemed to be someone who worked very hard in school--this was post grad. studies--I remember her being able to hold her own fairly well without being much of a drama queen.

I think that people are getting tired of Palin's drama queen crap. And she'll be remembered as a quitter. If she had been able to come out and say that she was resigning as gov. in order to prepare herself for a Senate run in '10, she might have a marginal chance.

But you'll always have Photoshop, Ray. Just watch out for your wife's frying pan.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,180,771 times
Quote:
I doubt after what has happened in her 'spotlight' that independents or undeclared voters would gamble their necks on this chickee again...,short of on the bar B'...grill, not caribou..., think she has lost that one in Alaska

Old 07-05-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I doubt after what has happened in her 'spotlight' that independents or undeclared voters would gamble their necks on this chickee again...,short of on the bar B'...grill, not caribou..., think she has lost that one in Alaska
Only time will tell.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,592,071 times
Quote:
Only time will tell.
Agreed. However, isn't it amazing that all the lefties seem to forget about:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060400683.html

http://www.mrc.org/realitycheck/real...702104836.aspx

More ethics problems for Democrats | Capitol Hill Blue

Fortunately Jefferson is history but you would never know that given the media's deliberate silence on the issue. A Republican gets a hangnail and the media is all over it. A Democrat like Jefferson gets caught with $90,000 cash in the freezer and the networks give it 30 seconds.

And then there is that brain surgeon Nancy Pelosi lying through her teeth suggesting that the CIA misled her about interrogation techniques, none of which could even be remotely considered torture since we subject our own troops to the same things during training, but the media conveniently drops the subject.

Now, in all fairness, the stupidity of John Ensign and Mark Sanford cannot be excused. Why people in such important positions decide to think with a certain part of their anatomy is beyond me. However, abusing the public trust and using one's position to further personal gain is far more egregious.

But oh, Sarah Palin resigns unexpectedly, which is admittedly quite strange, and the liberal loons start squawking. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Classic Satch; 07-05-2009 at 03:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,419,110 times
Quote:
I don't think Ted Stevens could unseat Lisa Murkowski, never mind a two bit excuse for a politician like Sarah Palin. Palin would get eaten alive in that contest.

That said, the idea that Palin could beat Begich does have at least some merit. But since Begich has just begun his first term, and we have no idea how well he will perform, any such ideas are based on speculation that he will not perform well. In fact he probably will do well enough, and if even just average he too would be far more than Sarah Palin could handle. The difference is that both Murkowswki and Begich are professional, experienced, and slick. Palin only has experience (and not much of that either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska