U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM

145 posts, read 487,491 times

Advertisements

Hi,

With the recent vitriolic atmosphere regarding day-to-day living questions, I hesitate to ask...but here goes.

My bell pepper plants have something on the leaves. At first, I thought it was some other plant matter...like tiny white/off white filaments...very skinny and short. I cannot for the life of me determine if they are moving.

They are under the bottom of the leaves in much higher concentration. They are clustered on the few baby peppers.

I thought maybe aphids, but my internet search showed aphids as being greenish. Maybe these are baby aphids?

Does anyone know what this could be?

I have googled. I have googled images. I have Wikied.

Freaking out here...envisioning my plants all keeling over.

PLUS, the tomato plants are in there with the peppers

Ok, hope you all are enjoying this 4th of July!

Thanks,
Deb
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,232,205 times
perhaps you could start by emailing these folks...

The School of Natural Resources&Agricultural Sciences

Old 07-04-2009, 03:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times
Sounds like aphids to me. I have seen white juvenile aphids before.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,907,077 times
Sounds like aphids or mealy bugs. Here in Alabama we spray with plain rubbing alcohol. I have never use this on vegetable plants, but considering how fast alcohol dissapates I would think you could use it on veggies too. Alcohol willonly keep the bugs under control and kill the ones present when spraying. You will have to do it frequently. If I get these bugs on my plants I put alcohol on an old tshirt and wipe them off with it. If your plants are in pots before you plant next year you should wash your pots out with a bleach solution. This will kill the eggs. Good Luck

Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,382,445 times
Aphids!!! put 1/2 tablespoon of white pepper in 1/2 gal water and boil. strain out white pepper, let cool, spray plants with the pepper water!! do both top and under side of plant along with the stem. works well for many types of pests. Re-apply after heavy rain.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 PM

202 posts, read 730,240 times
Default neem oil

You can also use neem oil. It's extracted from tree bark and smothers the aphids. You may have to reapply as there may be eggs that will hatch after applying the oil.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,284,150 times
Maybe give em a blast of bear spray?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:48 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
I'll agree with Mal, sounds like immature aphids to me, I get them on my peppers, & give reps to blueflames50 as well, I use the same mixture, it works effectively.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,506,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post
Hi,

With the recent vitriolic atmosphere regarding day-to-day living questions, I hesitate to ask...but here goes.

My bell pepper plants have something on the leaves. At first, I thought it was some other plant matter...like tiny white/off white filaments...very skinny and short. I cannot for the life of me determine if they are moving.

They are under the bottom of the leaves in much higher concentration. They are clustered on the few baby peppers.

I thought maybe aphids, but my internet search showed aphids as being greenish. Maybe these are baby aphids?

Does anyone know what this could be?

I have googled. I have googled images. I have Wikied.

Freaking out here...envisioning my plants all keeling over.

PLUS, the tomato plants are in there with the peppers

Ok, hope you all are enjoying this 4th of July!

Thanks,
Deb
Sounds like scale aka mealy bugs. Check out the pic in this link and see if they look the same. I had a problem with it last year and this. Does a huge amount of damage if you let it go. I had to use an oil type insecticide to get rid of it.
Scale Insects
It started out in my lilies and worked it's way into the peppers. But once I sprayed everything bounced back pretty good. I fon't like to use insecticide unless I absolutely have to. For aphids, which seem to love my roses and new pear tree, I use warm soapy water, works like a charm

Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM

145 posts, read 487,491 times
Thank you so much for all your help. I really think they are mealy bugs...I was all excited about being able to take care of the problem with the white pepper/water solution. I'm still going to try this, but am poised to get some insecticide :-(

Thank you so much...hate to see them be munched up before their time.

Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska