U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Palin will excel now that she has no restraints on her
Yes 51 32.69%
No 94 60.26%
Unsure 11 7.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,320,832 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I agree. Thousands of young citizens dead in another version of 'Nam war. Budget that 8 years ago had surplus is done for few decades of repaying debts. Civil rights in shambles 'cause "terrorists are everywhere around us". Bush, Cheney, Rice all potentially subject of arrest outside of USA for crimes against humanity. One could go on and on and on. China wants to get rid of dollars. Yep, we're in trouble all right. One that will not get fixed soon.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 PM

6,939 posts, read 11,728,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Yeah, I agree. Thousands of young citizens dead in another version of 'Nam war. Budget that 8 years ago had surplus is done for few decades of repaying debts. Civil rights in shambles 'cause "terrorists are everywhere around us". Bush, Cheney, Rice all potentially subject of arrest outside of USA for crimes against humanity. One could go on and on and on. China wants to get rid of dollars. Yep, we're in trouble all right. One that will not get fixed soon.
Not trying to attack you, but can you name one single civil right that you have personally lost as a result of the Patriot Act? Just one instance? I know what the Act entails and I have yet to see it affect me.

Sure it could. But it hasn't. Unless I do something to bring myself to the attention of the secret internet spies at the CIA or some other national security agency the act will have no affect on me. Or you.

Dispelling the Myths

2. MYTH: The Protect America Act gives the Federal government new powers to target people in the United States for warrantless surveillance.
  • FACT: The Protect America Act leaves untouched the strong protections FISA provides to Americans in the United States – electronic surveillance targeting a person in the U.S. required a court order before the Protect America Act, and that requirement remains in place today.
  • FACT: The Protect America Act does not authorize "domestic wiretapping," and our intelligence professionals are not using the new law either to acquire domestic-to-domestic communications or to target the communications of persons in the United States.
  • FACT: If a foreign target communicates with someone in the United States and the communication involves terrorism or foreign intelligence, the new law remains consistent with the intent of the old law – intelligence professionals can intercept that communication without a court order. As the President has said, "If there are people inside our country who are talking with al Qaeda, we want to know about it."

Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,767,769 times
I feel it is giving the government too much power that is hidden from the public eye.

Example: Guantanamo Bay Detainees

I trust our government, but it is still a scary thought that if you are a high terror suspect, you could be picked up and taken to a secret prison somewhere in the world, with no chance to appeal and with the public not knowing about it.

Many (not all) Republicans complain about "big" government, but never when it comes to military power or the power of the CIA etc...only when it comes to social issues such as health care, restricting smoking etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 AM

218 posts, read 441,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I feel it is giving the government too much power that is hidden from the public eye.

Example: Guantanamo Bay Detainees

I trust our government, but it is still a scary thought that if you are a high terror suspect, you could be picked up and taken to a secret prison somewhere in the world, with no chance to appeal and with the public not knowing about it.

Many (not all) Republicans complain about "big" government, but never when it comes to military power or the power of the CIA etc...only when it comes to social issues such as health care, restricting smoking etc.
There is another option: Since the geneva conventions don't apply to non-uniformed soldiers (or terrorists) I vote we just kill em on the battlefield and spare them the humanity of bringing them back to Guantanamo.

Sarcasm aside there is no good way to deal with these people that were apprehended because there was no precedent. The methods of the enemy, and of the US Troops were completely new in this type of war. Guantanamo ideal no, but better than putting a bullet in their heads in order to not have to deal with them.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
hallooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?????????????????

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 AM

1,629 posts, read 4,767,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
There is another option: Since the geneva conventions don't apply to non-uniformed soldiers (or terrorists) I vote we just kill em on the battlefield and spare them the humanity of bringing them back to Guantanamo.

Sarcasm aside there is no good way to deal with these people that were apprehended because there was no precedent. The methods of the enemy, and of the US Troops were completely new in this type of war. Guantanamo ideal no, but better than putting a bullet in their heads in order to not have to deal with them.
I agree that terrorists found on the battfield should be shot. However, the detainees in Guantanamo were NOT all caught on the battlefield. I can almost guarentee you if you were innocent coming into Guantanamo, you left a terrorist. It also has given Al Quaida and all the other terrorist groups plenty of fuel to recruit new members. We have to be careful on how we deal with suspects. If we are preaching our values to other countries, we have to lead by example. I'm glad Obama is attempting to make more dialogue than Bush ever did. Even if there is no reasoning with these groups of people, it shows people around the world, America truly wants peace and prosperity, rather than being an arrogant "bully".

Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,423,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Not trying to attack you, but can you name one single civil right that you have personally lost as a result of the Patriot Act? Just one instance? I know what the Act entails and I have yet to see it affect me.
"There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are."
Demosthenes (Greek from Athens)
In other words, your entire argument is excessively lame.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM

6,939 posts, read 11,728,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
"There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are."
Demosthenes (Greek from Athens)
In other words, your entire argument is excessively lame.
Speak to us, Master!!!

"No harm, no foul." Francis Dayle Hearn

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,423,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
"No harm, no foul." Francis Dayle Hearn
And you see no difference between not harming only you personally and not harming anyone at all. A bit self centered, as well as illogical, but...

Oh, perhaps another example logically bashing your arrogance might help you get the message:
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
-- Martin Niemöller
In your case though, given what you've said on this topic and others, I suspect that if they do come for you first, nobody else is going to speak up anyway...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,179,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why do you insult people who adhere to a different philosophy than you? Without the tension between the left and right, our country would have collapsed generations ago. In fact, it never would have been created. When one goes overboard with too much power (as liberals did in the 70s and conservatives did in the 2000s), the other balances things out and keeps the ship moving.

Why do you not post this in the "politics and controversies" section, where extensive discussion on this subject has already happened?

I think the backlash against Palin from across the political spectrum has more to do with her demonstrated lack of capacity for the international stage than any conspiracy of what you label the "Loony Left".
It is not so much the tension between the left and right, which the left right now has way too much power and is abusing it as well, but the way the fight is happening. It is not nice to abuse women and Sarah Palin has been abused.

The media is already seeing the effects of this. Ratings are down on some of her abusers.

She is doing what is best for her state. She doesn't want her state hurt while people are attacking her. That is a very unselfish act. I have been there and done that. I once left a position at work because I felt the town I was working in was being hurt by a boss that was trying to make me look bad by not giving them what they needed, therefore lowering the useage of the place I worked. It was complicated. I went to the main office and when she was gone I moved on to a better job.

Anybody that thinks Sarah Palin is not smart, etc. is just not too bright themselves. I don't know what will happen with her and her family, but I do know they are lucky to have her as a wife and mother. I also think she is the change America needed. The change we got is just business as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska