U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Palin will excel now that she has no restraints on her
Yes 51 32.69%
No 94 60.26%
Unsure 11 7.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM

20,461 posts, read 26,589,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'd like to chop off arms and legs and toss them into shark infested waters...just to hear them scream. And it still wouldn't be payback enough.
Who are "they", Rance?

The ones who actually committed the beheadings? I'd be with you there.

But when you start using terms like other guys", I think it raises questions such as whether you extend those sentiments to all people of the Muslim persuasion.

After 911...I went to the Quickie Mart...the little girls of the owner had been sent home from school due to harassment from other children. They were of Middle Eastern descent; that was their only so called crime.

Sometimes it seems it's come down to that level...

When my offspring was in the Middle East a couple of years ago to see the total eclipse of the sun, I admit there was some trepidation....

but...he spent his time there staying with a very nice Muslim family and on the day of the eclipse, people from all over the world stood out there to watch it happen, and everyone was reminded at that time that they are all, at the end of the day, just another human being.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 AM

20,461 posts, read 26,589,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Your gosh darn right it isn't. It's called payback. Maybe if we put the fear of God in their friggin minds they'd leave us alone.

I wonder if they've ever had such sentiments themselves.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM

549 posts, read 516,688 times
Personally, I like Sarah Palin and the ideas she stands for and I make no apologies for it.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,958,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I wonder if they've ever had such sentiments themselves.
Yeah, for about twelve centuries. Way of life for many of them, and it was past down from each generation. They kill each other at the drop of a hat because they believe differently in the same book.

Until they start loving their kids more than they hate their enemy, not
much will change....

Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,180,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Personally, I like Sarah Palin and the ideas she stands for and I make no apologies for it.
What are those ideas...surely make no apolgies...just say what you are not apologetic for...

Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 AM

218 posts, read 441,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
There isn't an exact science on determining who is plotting against America. The fact that some agent has the ability to make assumptions and based on those assumptions can take a person to a secret prison to be tortured is wrong. Torture doesn't give reliable information anyways...pretty soon you will just tell them what they want to hear so they stop. We can't let fear take over our morals and values, otherwise we are no better than them. I don't understand how anyone who supports torture can look at themselves in the mirror.
First of all it's not a secret prison, everyone knows about it. There's not an exact science on determining any commission of any crime but if I find a guy holding an AK-47 behind a bush you better darn well believe he's not selling lemonade to the kids that walk by. Not all prisoners will give false information when tortured, that just doesn't make sense. Any information is good information, even if it's bad information. If you get 1 confession out of 3 that leads to helping deter another attack or save lives I say it's worth it.

To me it's not about letting fear take over our morals, it's about the moral obligation the government and US troops have to protect Americans first and foremost.

Three people were waterboarded. 3, Three, Trois, tres, אחת, तीन, واحد, три.

Using unconventional methods (which weren't controversial until the war started turning bad and libs needed to distance themselves from the administration) to gain pertinent information against an unconventional enemy who follows no rules of war, I'd say go for it. Everyone has a different definition of what constitutes torture and waterboarding is highly debatable by both sides.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 AM

218 posts, read 441,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Who are "they", Rance?

The ones who actually committed the beheadings? I'd be with you there.

But when you start using terms like other guys", I think it raises questions such as whether you extend those sentiments to all people of the Muslim persuasion.
Now you're stretching no offense. No one has ever indicated any ill-will toward Muslims, the only ill-will here is toward the terrorists who happen to be Muslim (Jihadists not of the main-stream Muslim thought) well and maybe a little ill-will toward the Monday morning quarterbacks on the left that are trying to spring them all out of prison.

I've got quite a few Muslim friends and they are all good people, very nice and would give you the shirt off their back. I ran into a few in France that were trouble makers but it was likely more that they were 16-17 year old punks rather than their religious affiliation

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What are those ideas...surely make no apolgies...just say what you are not apologetic for...

Well she has been blamed for all sorts of stuff, but what has she really done that needs an apology for. Other than she does pretty much what she believes is right, haven't seen any real blunders that Obama hasn't done ten fold... Just that he has been given a free press card....

It amazes me that he makes a stupid statement, it is cute... But when Palin says something, or even better yet, something she didn't say like "I can see Russia from my house", (said by Tina Fay on SNL) she is treated like fool.

Quite a bit of double standards.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,180,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well she has been blamed for all sorts of stuff, but what has she really done that needs an apology for. Other than she does pretty much what she believes is right, haven't seen any real blunders that Obama hasn't done ten fold... Just that he has been given a free press card....

It amazes me that he makes a stupid statement, it is cute... But when Palin says something, or even better yet, something she didn't say like "I can see Russia from my house", (said by Tina Fay on SNL) she is treated like fool.

Quite a bit of double standards.
This thread is not about Obama or comparisons to him...She has dragged Alaska into a negative spotlight with her spewings as to what hit her spontaneously, and the focus has remained here....she does what she believes is right for Sarah, the interviews, book deals, magazine articles..., she is now comparing her resigning to the salmon running...give me a break..., she is keeping the Alaska island theory going strong...I personally am embarrassed by the rhetoric she consistently spews because she thinks it is cute...sorry not into her cute...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This thread is not about Obama or comparisons to him...She has dragged Alaska into a negative spotlight with her spewings as to what hit her spontaneously, and the focus has remained here....she does what she believes is right for Sarah, the interviews, book deals, magazine articles..., she is now comparing her resigning to the salmon running...give me a break..., she is keeping the Alaska island theory going strong...I personally am embarrassed by the rhetoric she consistently spews because she thinks it is cute...sorry not into her cute...
Not so, the ones that are bashing her are those that are scared to death she will rise up and take Obama down, that is what this whole "Palin" bad press is about. She has done nothing anyone can claim that is "Bad" other than she believes in family...

The ones that don't like her will still not like her no matter what good she does. Kinda like those that hate our troops protecting us, they benifit from them putting themselves on the line, but won't admit that they benifit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska