U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think Palin will excel now that she has no restraints on her
Yes 51 32.69%
No 94 60.26%
Unsure 11 7.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 14,223,958 times
Reputation: 10300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Not so, the ones that are bashing her are those that are scared to death she will rise up and take Obama down, that is what this whole "Palin" bad press is about. She has done nothing anyone can claim that is "Bad" other than she believes in family...

The ones that don't like her will still not like her no matter what good she does. Kinda like those that hate our troops protecting us, they benifit from them putting themselves on the line, but won't admit that they benifit from it.
Sorry, what the hell does that have to do with Palin, she can't even come close the comparison, our troops...I hope I am reading this wrong as I think I am, hope I am... If I ran into someone hating our troops defending us, I would probably personally deck them, and I have a son in for quite a while now, and what I have gone through worrying about him, and his brothers and sisters doing the same... and Palin bad press... she believes in family when to her benefit...how many loving mom pics have you seen when she flaunts the family, maybe she is too busy a'grinnin' and winkin' for the cams to show the family affection she proclaims..

 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Alaska & Florida
1,629 posts, read 4,776,784 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So it's okay for them "other guys" to chop our heads off and post videos...but it's not okay for us to waterboard them?

Poppycock. I have no problem looking in the mirror and saying to myself...we ought to lop some of their heads off and post videos for them to watch. Do unto others as they would do unto you...
That's sad to hear people still think this way. This is why history repeats itself generation after generation. Yes it's horrible that a human can do these acts to another human. Somewhere along the line...don't you say it's wrong under any circumstance? We teach this to our children...be the BIGGER man and step away, control your anger etc. If we want to solve the problem, simply doing the same to them isn't going to get us anywhere.

Imagine Obama saying he is going to raise income taxes to 50% for everyone and we all must pay them. Tax time comes around and he says, everyone but me needs to file their taxes. Would anyone take him seriously? Would you say...yes let's embrace what he is telling us to do? No! You would call him a hypocrite and gather support to inform everyone around you. Well...saying torture is wrong and then doing it ourselves...is no different.

If we want a civilized world, we must act civilized. If you're neighbor shoots your dog, shooting his dog isn't going to fix anything. Your hate for him is going to increase and his hate for you is going to increase. The fighting will never end, so unless you plan to blow up every country in the world, you will never catch and kill every terrorist. Some there is no negotiating with, they are simply crazy, but we can appeal to the younger generation before they get brainwashed. Lead by example and teach by example...that's our best way to end terrorism...it will take generations, but simply doing the same thing to them as they do to us, isn't going to fix anything...and frankly it's something a child would do. "He punched me, so I'm going to punch him back."

Aren't we supposed to be the good guys? The side that says, torture is wrong, don't be fooled by their teachings and disregard for human life?

We don't torture people who rape and kill children in America...we sentence them to death. That is what a civilized country does...I know the feeling to want to torture them because death doesn't seem justified, but it would make me no better than them.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 07-08-2009 at 01:49 AM..
 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, California
1,255 posts, read 1,861,349 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So it's okay for them "other guys" to chop our heads off and post videos...but it's not okay for us to waterboard them?
We are a nation of laws, and we aim for and pride ourselves on civilized conduct. It is what separates us from those brutes. Nobody in America is above the law, not even the President of the United States. Our self-professed standards make it difficult for us at times because people intent on doing harm to us are not bound by the constraints we have set for ourselves. But it is precisely this system of institutions, of checks and balances and regulations and laws that we have that makes us stronger and more powerful. Waterboarding is torture and is illegal under the treaties we are signatory to. That means (a) we cannot indulge in it or (b) if we want to, we have to legislate new laws to overwrite the existing ones. The President cannot ad hoc decide to break the law. 'Nuf said.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,538,419 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I can't see how anyone that would let the "Death to America" chanters let 'em go free; then look at themselves in the mirror later.

After, of course, they fly themselves into a building or three full of thousands of people.

Did anyone here have the same attitude before 9-11? If not, what changed yer mind?

Anyone have a loved one killed or injured from an IED?

I have.

how soon we forget...
Amen!!! Tried to rep ya but it said I gotta spread it around.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
 
4,986 posts, read 8,323,654 times
Reputation: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
We are a nation of laws, and we aim for and pride ourselves on civilized conduct. It is what separates us from those brutes. Nobody in America is above the law, not even the President of the United States. Our self-professed standards make it difficult for us at times because people intent on doing harm to us are not bound by the constraints we have set for ourselves. But it is precisely this system of institutions, of checks and balances and regulations and laws that we have that makes us stronger and more powerful. Waterboarding is torture and is illegal under the treaties we are signatory to. That means (a) we cannot indulge in it or (b) if we want to, we have to legislate new laws to overwrite the existing ones. The President cannot ad hoc decide to break the law. 'Nuf said.
A very eloquent and noble soliloquy. However this is at the core of what's wrong with modern liberalism; it looks good on paper through the windows of the ivory towers, but tends to FAIL IN THE REAL WORLD, where there are actual bad people who are shooting at you with real bullets on a real battlefield.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
 
20,578 posts, read 26,737,220 times
Reputation: 13486
I like this thread; I haven't opened the Bob Blockhead ones since it started. It should be a sticky.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Palmer
2,518 posts, read 5,900,209 times
Reputation: 1365
When Palin was elected I believed that whe would only have one term. That isn't because of her, it was because of the state of Alaska. She came into office on a reform agenda. That's a tough job in this state. People like their government money and they don't want anyone changing the status quo.

We have so many problems right now that it is difficult for anyone to put things right. I believe she went a long way toward that end but became completely stymied for two reasons.

One is the legislature. Our legislature is a real mess. There are some good people down there but they are in the minority. In general they are a bunch of people looking out for themselves, not for Alaska. They ended up in opposition to the governor and likely will remain in opposition to Sean Parnell.

The other problem is Alaska's economy. We are dependent on oil and on the federal government. Oil production is declining while our states budget is growing. The only thing keeping us going right now is the fact that oil prices remain relatively high. If worldwide demand falls, we will have a real crisis very quickly.

The next biggest chunk of money to the state comes from the Feds. This does not go directly to the state's budget but goes into many different military branches, federal agencies, educational institutions, and NGOs in Alaska. Federal money comes with federal strings. We dance to their tune. I don't feel guilty about getting a "larger than our share" piece of the federal budget because the feds own more than their share of our state. If you look at a map of the federal land in alaska you begin to understand that. But this fact makes Alaska hard to govern, you don't control almost 1/3 of the state's economy because it's federal money.

Any governor that comes into power on a reform agenda is going to burn out quickly. If your objective is to stay in office, you don't do it by reforming Alaska politics.




Sorry, I'm a little off the current thread....I tried to post this on the other thread but it was closed. And since I had gone through the trouble to write it I posted it here. :-)
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, California
1,255 posts, read 1,861,349 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
A very eloquent and noble soliloquy. However this is at the core of what's wrong with modern liberalism; it looks good on paper through the windows of the ivory towers, but tends to FAIL IN THE REAL WORLD, where there are actual bad people who are shooting at you with real bullets on a real battlefield.
Moose, please suggest your real world prescription then. I presume you are going to remain within the ambit of the laws of the land. Or is that liberalism to you?

As for what has FAILED IN THE REAL WORLD, we have evidence of that - the disastrous war in Iraq waged on a lie, that cost America 4000 lives and untold amounts of national treasure.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
 
4,986 posts, read 8,323,654 times
Reputation: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Moose, please suggest your real world prescription then. I presume you are going to remain within the ambit of the laws of the land. Or is that liberalism to you?.
My real world prescription?

If we catch any of those SOB terrorist we should cut their nuts off if that's what it takes to get them to talk.
 
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,596 posts, read 34,683,474 times
Reputation: 14657
And if they don't talk...shove em down their throats and let em choke on them. Nut boarding I think it's called.
If half the people in this country had the balls God gave a boar hog...we wouldn't get our arse handed to us so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top