U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM

674 posts, read 1,417,526 times

Advertisements

We just got back Wed night from our week long trip to Patching Lake, about 20 miles out of Ketchikan. Stay’d in a Forest Service Cabin there and had the hole lake to ourselves for a week. It was a great time. It was me, my son, my buddy and his two boys. There was a wood stove and food prep area with a cupboard, two boats, lots of cut wood and a couple mauls. Close to the cabin was a stream that had some good fishing (while the water was down), and the lake has large cutthroat. I have never caught so may trout, it was a great time. The first 3 days were nice, only a little rain at night. The next 3 were rainy (Saturday was the worst, we had to stay in the cabin that day), the last day was nice, no rain, just clouds. During this time, the lake level came up about 12 inches, which from the log in the cabin from others who stay’d there, sounds normal. Got to see some old wood pipes and a small rail track system, most likely from the mining days.

The company we used to fly to the cabin from Ketchikan is Alaska seaplane tours or www.alaskaseaplanetours.com. They are a newer company and the people were just great. Even let us use one of their personal trucks to drive around and get supplies before leaving for the cabin. They also had camping equipment and a boat motor for us to use, so we didn’t have to bring these items along with us to Ketchikan (extra bags means extra expense).

I’ll get some pics up, as I get time, for those who are interested.

There were 3 of these monsters in Ketchikan:

Eagles flying around town

Ketchikan from the Dock:

From the Cabin:

Daily chore of drying out cloths:

How we (Tom) cooked:

One of the boys fishing from the sandbar:

After three days of rain.....no sandbar:

Smoking some of the fish we caught:

The river from the south end of the lake (Hiking trip):

Sunset, mid week:

FS Boats:

Just a normal day:

Tom panning for gold, below a waterfall, half way down the lake on the east side.

Old rail we found, think it is going to the next lake down:

If you look, you see the bands that held this old wooden pipe together. Must have been used for mining:

Plane coming to pick us up:

Last edited by msta999; 07-05-2009 at 01:06 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,167,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
We just got back Wed night from our week long trip to Patching Lake, about 20 miles out of Ketchikan. Stay’d in a Forest Service Cabin there and had the hole lake to ourselves for a week. It was a great time. It was me, my son, my buddy and his two boys. There was a wood stove and food prep area with a cupboard, two boats, lots of cut wood and a couple mauls. Close to the cabin was a stream that had some good fishing (while the water was down), and the lake has large cutthroat. I have never caught so may trout, it was a great time. The first 3 days were nice, only a little rain at night. The next 3 were rainy (Saturday was the worst, we had to stay in the cabin that day), the last day was nice, no rain, just clouds. During this time, the lake level came up about 12 inches, which from the log in the cabin from others who stay’d there, sounds normal. Got to see some old wood pipes and a small rail track system, most likely from the mining days.

The company we used to fly to the cabin from Ketchikan is Alaska seaplane tours or www.alaskaseaplanetours.com. They are a newer company and the people were just great. Even let us use one of their personal trucks to drive around and get supplies before leaving for the cabin. They also had camping equipment and a boat motor for us to use, so we didn’t have to bring these items along with us to Ketchikan (extra bags means extra expense).

I’ll get some pics up, as I get time, for those who are interested.
Sounds like you had a good time

Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,967,334 times
I like the photos. They remind me of NH & ME. The Princess ship on the other hand looks completely out of place.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
Was there trails to the other lakes in the naha river system? Did you catch any Dolly Varden or Kokanee? Was the cabin big enought for 4 Adults? i have been wanting to go here for many years.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM

5,352 posts, read 15,852,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdclassic03 View Post
Was there trails to the other lakes in the naha river system? Did you catch any Dolly Varden or Kokanee? Was the cabin big enought for 4 Adults? i have been wanting to go here for many years.
There are many Forest Service and DNR cabins throughout SE Alaska. You can hike, boat or fly to them, depending on the location. The capacity of each varies and ranges from 4 max to 12+ max. Here's a list for SE Alaska:

Tongass National Forest

Public Use Cabins, Southeast Area

The FS and DNR has cabins in other parts of the state too:

U.S. Forest Service Cabins

Public Use Cabins, Alaska State Parks

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdclassic03 View Post
There are really no trails at this cabin, some animal trails here and there, but the brush is pretty thick in most placed. The going was easy in some places and hard in others. The fish we caught were mostly Cut throat trout, a couple, what looked like smaller rainbows, but mostly Cut Throat. The cabin is big enough for 4 adults, but it is not like you have room to just start walking around the stove, but there was plenty of room for the 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 boys. It was a great trip, I would recommend it.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,943,039 times
Sounds like it was a grand adventure!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 AM

You should have been there, when the pilot came to pick us up, he dropped off his wife and 3 year old daughter, we helped unload their bags and stuff, then she started carrying some of the last items to the cabin, stopped and turned to her husband (the pilot) and said "honey, did you bring the gun"!!

Some guys are just lucky!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska