U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,386,914 times
Just talked to a gal on OR Coast that was stationed in Adak. She said she loved it.

by the pictures looks better than Whitter however I have no knowledge. Now that is a strange exmilatary town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,001,848 times
When I got transferred to Whidby Island NAS in 1967, 2 good friends of mine were being transferred to Adak.

Since they were in aviation, there nust have been a NAS or NAF there.

Is that also closed now?

Was that sperate from the naval base ?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,422,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When I got transferred to Whidby Island NAS in 1967, 2 good friends of mine were being transferred to Adak.

Since they were in aviation, there nust have been a NAS or NAF there.

Is that also closed now?

Was that sperate from the naval base ?
Yes, the main base was an NAS and there was an NSGA there as well. I'm pretty sure they are both gone now.

Weird, we moved from Adak to Whidbey Island! LOL My Hubby was with VA-165 for 2 years.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,425,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
by the pictures looks better than Whitter however I have no knowledge. Now that is a strange exmilatary town.
Umm, yeah, Whittier pretty much captures the experience I did the "rock" from 86-88. It's an experience I'd never trade, and I'd go back in a heart beat.......for 1 day.

I think present day Adak is very run down and deteriorating from current pics I've seen. I understand the present residents just don't have the ability to keep up with the infrastructure the military left.

Me and hubby drove to Whittier in February last year just to "get out of the house." The winds were massive and as soon as I got out of the truck, I yelled to him "now you know what Adak was like!"

Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 AM

471 posts, read 639,916 times
Just a frienldy reminder that Alaska Airlines does service Adak and its airport code is ADK
Edit: Whoops ADQ is Kodiak

Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 6,001,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Yes, the main base was an NAS and there was an NSGA there as well. I'm pretty sure they are both gone now.

Weird, we moved from Adak to Whidbey Island! LOL My Hubby was with VA-165 for 2 years.
I was in squadron VA-128 ( the shore duty/training squadron of the A-6's)
VA-165 was one the deployable squadrons of the A-6's

I had friends who got transferred from VA-128 to VA-165 to fullfill their sea duty rotation.

Were there squadrons based at Adak when it was open ?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I was in squadron VA-128 ( the shore duty/training squadron of the A-6's)
VA-165 was one the deployable squadrons of the A-6's

I had friends who got transferred from VA-128 to VA-165 to fullfill their sea duty rotation.

Were there squadrons based at Adak when it was open ?
Yeah, A-6's. They were deployable to the Nimitz. I think they were also decommissioned a while back. Seems everywhere We go things get closed down after we leave.

I'm not sure if any actual planes were stationed on Adak. I'll have to ask my Hubby. We met there. Go figure! An Adak romance that has lasted for 17 years now.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM

305 posts, read 299,357 times
Native corporation is now offering Adak housing for sale - beautiful homes, prices are unbeatable; you just have to get there, be able to make live there somehow income-wise.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
Native corporation is now offering Adak housing for sale - beautiful homes, prices are unbeatable; you just have to get there, be able to make live there somehow income-wise.
oh, interesting. But what on earth could you do in Adak to make any kind of living?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 AM

10 posts, read 15,080 times
I meet a lot of the Adak residents who pass through and stop in Dutch Harbor. They are all Native and say its pretty isolated there. They say you drive through all the houses the overnment built back in the day and its pretty creepy. However they say they have nice schools and a killer rec center. And thier roads are paved. Ya the rumors always go around about the super cheap houses. A lot of the owners that don't live there are in fishing industry. Also a lot of native from other islands own some too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska