Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,522,611 times

Advertisements

Well watched another one of the family with the "Wilderness Homesteaders". They try to make the homestead as if it is in the wilderness, it may have been fifty years ago, but there are houses and neighbors all over the place.

One of the married couples went up to Caribou Lake and they tried to make it look remote, but you can see all the houses around it in flashes, but they try to avoid seeing them in the shots. Then they drive the snowmachine down the road to get back to their house.

Kinda of a sad show, and the more I see it, could be a lot better but they are pushing a false premise and the scenery will only go so far! They can drive down to the supermarket in short order and buy food like the rest of (ok, most of us) us do.

Last edited by starlite9; 01-13-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,019,876 times
I like how they drive to their "remote" cabin, on a street.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,403,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I like how they drive to their "remote" cabin, on a street.
Just proves how staged and phoney these shows are and people believe them.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 PM

Well they could be straight up on the show instead of the faked storyline and it could be interesting showing the towns in the area and even the little bit of ice fishing showing that the people that have places there. Lots of good story lines they don't have to make up!

Even the small boat harbor, and the different stores even, the Salty Dog Salool and othe stuff. When the Deadlest Catch boat "Time Bandit" is there for the spring, that alone draws a lot of tourist! Our dive boats ties up by it or next to it at the same time. Lots of people come from all over to see it and other boats.

But it clearly won't be so!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM

305 posts, read 680,818 times
I think the pathetic narration does the show no good service. The folks try to live the life despite civilization piling up around them. Remember, it was more remote when Yule settled there. You wonder what they were doing all summer to prepare for winter if they didn't have meat or firewood in by October, but who knows. I like the old fellers and I think Charlotte was probably scolding Otto, "Don't leave me alone with those cameras - this is YOUR show! Baa-a-a-a-a-ah"

Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,921 times
Lots of good story lines they don't have to make up! http://www.depin.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,403,166 times
I rest my case.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Well where they live is paradise in its own right, but the show's producer seems to think they have to make it look desperate and lonely to live there. They can be at a supermarket in a few minute drive. 50 years ago that wasn't so much the case!

Every time they do an aerial shot with the Bay in the background, lots of stuff to eat there as well, crabs, halibut, fish, clams and a host of other good tasting critters! Living next to the ocean in Alaska, you'd have to be pretty much a moron to starve to death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska