Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Notrees could make the same argument saying your opinion doesn't matter because the past president who you supported bankrupted the COUNTRY! People on the right seem to have forgot that the stimulus bills started with Bush, they forgot our surplus was depleted during the Bush Adminstration, they forgot Bush spent billions/trillions on Iraq...spending is only reckless if it's not for war it seems. I agree with Quak to an extent though...you can't put all the blame on the president nor a governor...there is some blame because they are supposed to lead, which is why being able to deliver a speech well is an important skill to have.
Bush created a $1-trillion budget deficit in eight years. He also began with the first bail-out. However, Obama continued the bailouts, and has nearly quadrupled the budget deficit Bush started.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that this is the most accurate post in this thread about Mr. Parnell. And even though I don't completely agree with his politics, I think it will be a welcome relief to all Alaskans to have someone in our highest office who doesn't constantly court drama and engage in petty infighting.

After all of this dies down, I intend on contacting Parnell myself as I know how he feels about those who commit sex crimes against minors, and is all for much stricter penalties for them. I will be encouraging him to work on legislation that particularly addresses the issue of sex offenders moving here from other states.
I completely agree with you (second paragraph). There has to be a way for the legislature to address and close the loophole that allows for this problem. Something should have been done long ago.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Bush created a $1-trillion budget deficit in eight years. He also began with the first bail-out. However, Obama continued the bailouts, and has nearly quadrupled the budget deficit Bush started.
Government deficit spending is absolutely necessary in the depression-like conditions we find ourselves in. If you knew anything about Keynesian economics you would not be spouting such nonsense. In fact, the current stimulus is not adequate and more will be needed. At any rate, believe what you want to believe.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
you should run for office....
lol I am terrified of speeches

Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
lol I am terrified of speeches
LOL...

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-08-2009 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: Just wing it like the rest do, can't do worse, ya know...you betcha....

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Notrees could make the same argument saying your opinion doesn't matter because the past president who you supported bankrupted the COUNTRY! People on the right seem to have forgot that the stimulus bills started with Bush, they forgot our surplus was depleted during the Bush Adminstration, they forgot Bush spent billions/trillions on Iraq...spending is only reckless if it's not for war it seems. I agree with Quak to an extent though...you can't put all the blame on the president nor a governor...there is some blame because they are supposed to lead, which is why being able to deliver a speech well is an important skill to have.
You have no idea whether I supported Bush or not so don't be presumptious. How long is Bush going to be blamed for all these problems that O promised to clear up?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Here is the basics of our Govt. The president or Govenor recomend a budget. The congress ethier state or federal change radify manipulate until they all agree on it. The president/govenors option is to sign or veto that budget. That is it!
Did Bush spend to much? Without any doubt at all! Does that make Obama spending 4 times as much in his first 3 months right? Heck NO! His stimulus package is already more then all the war spending in Iraq and it is doing so well a lot Dems want a second stimulus. We have out of conrol spending that by the CBO"s estimates is unsustainable but our media has everyone arguing about michael jackson and wether palin will run for president.
We are being seriously mislead and manipulated into a suicidal position as a country here and people argue about things that really dont matter at all!
Hi Socal!! Yep, we are ALL in this mess together. Congress acts like a bunch of schoolchildren.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:23 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Government deficit spending is absolutely necessary in the depression-like conditions we find ourselves in. If you knew anything about Keynesian economics you would not be spouting such nonsense. In fact, the current stimulus is not adequate and more will be needed. At any rate, believe what you want to believe.
If I hear another misinformed quote about Keynesian economics I think my head is going to explode. To use your words: If YOU knew anything about Keynesian economics you would know it does not apply to today’s current situation. Even if we accept the dubious tenant that deficit spending CAN help to smooth the economic down-cycles of a free market, the Keynesian model assumes that the downturn itself is a result of the natural expansion and contraction of capital in that system. However, as you well know, this present downturn isn't a result of natural cycles; rather it's the unwinding of massive credit and equity bubbles due to excessive leverage created by irresponsible levels of debt in both the private and public sectors. Thus, MORE DEFICIT SPENDING IS NOT THE SOLUTION; it's simply throwing more gas on the fire.

Also, the Keynesian model conversely assumes that the Government will act responsibly and payoff the debt/build a surplus during the good times. This obviously did not happen before, and if you somehow believe this will happen in the future then I've got this really nice bridge for sale I want you to take a look at too.

The Left has simply latched on to the current pop-culture fascination with Keynesian economics as a way to bamboozle the uninformed masses with more unintelligible econo-babble as a way justify their absolutely reckless and dangerous spending patterns which will undoubtedly destroy what little chance this country had at regaining it's economic strength. The current spending by the far left Obama administration isn't the result of some well thought out economic analysis; it's simply driven by the same old hard left political ideology of a desire to create a cradle-to-grave nanny-state which controls all aspects of life. It must be stopped at all costs.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,267,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]If I hear another misinformed quote about Keynesian economics I think my head is going to explode. To use your words: If YOU knew anything about Keynesian economics you would know it does not apply to today’s current situation. Even if we accept the dubious tenant that deficit spending CAN help to smooth the economic down-cycles of a free market, the Keynesian model assumes that the downturn itself is a result of the natural expansion and contraction of capital in that system.
Utter bullcrap. I could point you to the right material on Keynesian deficit spending but you can do that yourself (hint: Google). Paul Krugman has written some lucid essays on the topic.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Boy, someone makes a good argument and another blows it off saying look up my proof yourself. Gee, I'm wondering who I'm going to believe has more credibility? Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: