U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM

25,970 posts, read 7,922,509 times

Advertisements

It depends on what you want. More sunshine? So Cal or NC. Beautiful scenery? Oregon Coast. Mountainous? Sierra Nevada mountains or Wyoming or Montana. Sorry you have to leave Alaska. I'm not sure I could handle no sun. I love NC because it has 4 distinct seasons. I have never experienced that before.

Last edited by tasmtairy; 04-21-2007 at 04:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

14,943 posts, read 25,064,932 times
Well it's not like we have "no" sun. We don't get alot but we get some through the winter. Unless of course your on the northern coast.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 PM

32 posts, read 127,383 times
We live in the Interior region.. so we do get less sun then you do on the peninsula. We used to live in Kenai, so we know the comparison very well.
It was much easier on us there then it is here. Never the less the company transfers wont take us back to that area so down to the states is the choice we have at this point.
Thanks for all of the input

Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 PM

14,943 posts, read 25,064,932 times
Tan beds don't cut it I take it? Heck I work on the slope 20 years now. Lack of sun still does not bother me. But I am already having a hard time getting to sleep with the amount of light we get now!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,368,201 times
One of the mountain states, Utah, Wyoming, AZ. Dry climate and sun!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,197,591 times
Huntsville, AL or Colorado Springs, CO.

Jobs, quality of life, Jobs, affordable housing, Jobs, no traffic, Jobs, Excellent school districts, Jobs, relocation packages, and Jobs.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 AM

592 posts, read 1,963,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovefall View Post
I am moving out of Alaska after being here for 5 years now. I do LOVE the state, but the lack of sun in the winter does not like me very well. I had hoped I could get over it better then I have, but the light box treatments aren't working all that well for me or my kids. So here we are at a turning point in our life. We have the choose of transferring within our company to pretty much anywhere in the USA. I would prefer the Pacific Northwest, but am OPEN to any information or ideas from others as to where they would choose and why.

So there is the question: Where and Why would you choose a state to live in other then Alaska if you HAD to move.??

Thank you
If you decide you want to move to Minnesota, let me know, we can swap!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 78,324 times
I'm originally from Alaska myself and miss home. But have been living in Eagle, Idaho for the last three years. It's just outside of Boise and is part of other connecting towns that make up the Treasure Valley - Eastern Oregon and SW Idaho. It's nice here, four seasons. It does get hot for awhile in the summer, but it's dry heat. It's growing here "big time" though. So much construction work going on. I've spoken to several people here who moved up from California to get away from the crowded conditions. The schools are good also. The college football team is good, Boise State Broncos. BSU seems to be a good school also. Mountain scenery behind the city of Boise really reminds me of Anchorage. This place has many other good qualities.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 22,674 times
We live just outside New York City, and are considering moving to the Boise area. We would love a small farm on the outskirts of Boise. We've been out to the area a few times over the last couple of years, bought some land in McCall, and are hoping to sell that and move to Boise. I've read that it's a great city to raise a family in. I've found the people to be very down-to earth, genuine and friendly. I guess 'crowded conditions' depends on what you compare it to! ... My question is, having been in Eagle for awhile, are you happy with Eagle as a place to live?, or have you visited other surrounding towns, and been drawn to them? We're looking for a small farm outside Boise, with mountain views. We're landscapers, so being close to Boise offers work. Can you make some suggestions? Thanks!! TomTamara

Old 06-07-2007, 01:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,785,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegan Cajun View Post
Here are my choices IF we weren't going to Alaska I would consider: (1) Northern Nevada, (2) Southern Utah & (3) Northern Arizona. All three places have great scenery, not as great as Alaska, but still good. Nevada still has no state income tax, almost as good as being in Alaska, you just don't get paid to live here.

What we have always enoyed about the Southwest is all the different places you can drive to in a day. Just a few hours drive and you're watching a sunset over the Pacific Ocean or you can be in some really nice snow country for those that are into winter sports, my kids are and I'm not. I am into riding a Harley and some of the backroads we ride around here are just stunning with unspolied beauty at every turn.

I like water sports and we have Lake Mead just 30 minutes from where we live, and yes there is still plenty of water in Lake Mead despite the record setting drought we are in right now. Having the boat in a slip ready to go anytime is heaven wating for us anytime we are ready to head out to the lake. Boating is a 12 month activity around here, we don't even know how to winterize our boats because we don't have too. I know that will change when we move to Alaska.
So when are you moving to Alaska and are you going to be a snowbird? We retire next year after 32 years in the State and will winter in Northern Nevada and summer up here in Moose Pass (awe heaven) We just purchased an 07 Ultra Classic and are very much looking forward to our rides down in the lower 48's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska