U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,376,482 times

Advertisements

LOL, no, he doesn't speak for himself....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 PM

16,464 posts, read 21,546,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sorry, Warpt, but you don't speak for me.

This lady is being honest. She doesn't like the winters in Fairbanks. She gave it a good shot.

I don't like the winters anymore either...strange, I used to.
Yeah, she's being honest, it wasn't the right place, but Met, I love winters and I'd find the SE absolutely depressing...so wet, cloudy...kind of like Vermont lately.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

16,464 posts, read 21,546,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
If you check the Maine and New Hampshire Forums you will find they have been hit real hard with the economy and jobs. Folks on the Maine forum "stress" the importance of either having a job or being rich when moving there. Maine, like Alaska, is beautiful but the gorgeous scenery won't pay rent or put food on the table.
Maine is like Vermont economically but with lower taxes (but still rather unfriendly towards some businesses including logging because of the outsiders who've moved there). Have a job lined up or plan to be homeless. It's not like Alaska; one can't live on nothing for very long in New England even with the desire to do so, because of the taxes and government...legally anyways, lots of "homeless" people ignore the restrictive game laws that make a subsistence lifestyle hard here though, with varying degrees of success...

Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,304,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Moosie is female?
I am?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM

243 posts, read 411,810 times
Never realised Alaskans were so gender confused? Oh well each to their own.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
I wasn't confused until today. Guess I need to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,376,482 times
Sexy sexy girlfriend!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
..and a lot of men don't like the excessive daylight in the summer, but don't mind the winters...
Insomnia

Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 AM

6,423 posts, read 11,102,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I watched an administrative assistant from Texas struggle with the winters to the point that she got fired for incompetence. She was competent in spring, but when the winter came, she was so sleepy and depressed, she couldn't function. She had no money saved up to leave and ended up at Wal-Mart to eat because she couldn't even afford a plane ticket out of here. If she doesn't leave this summer, she'll probably get fired from that job this winter for the very same reason. That sort of stuff happens because people don't know they can't take the winters until they get here and then they have nothing saved up and no where to go. Oftentimes, they don't even know that it's the winter that's making them feel so bad, they just don't feel good and then they start feeling better and think they're well until next year when it happens again.
You see, this person was from Texas, big difference to Alaska as far as winters go. I'm from Michigan, and winters here are far milder, much much less snow, much less wind for the wind chills, temps about the same. As far as the darkness goes, well, I have always gone to work in the dark and come home from work in the dark, not much difference. Really only about 2 weeks are there really any real difference in daylight.

It's all relative to where you may be coming from and what you are use to. This past week has been hell with the heat, I'll take -30 any day to this heat.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Everybody is confused these days. . So what is happening? Are you and the wife still moving up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska