U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM

243 posts, read 411,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Everybody is confused these days. . So what is happening? Are you and the wife still moving up?
yes indeed we are! We close escrow this coming Tuesday and will be on the road heading to Homer by next Saturday!

Want to give a huge thank you for all the valuable info all of you have provided over the last 8 months or so that i have been actively researching this! Hard part is leaving the kids behind but our youngest at 22 is spending his first night in his own apartment tonight.
Any questions or doubts about such a drastic move went away when we saw the absolute beauty of Alaska! Didnt hurt any that we saw a porcupine and a moose within 100 yards of the new house before we even made an offer! Still cant get over the view looking over Kachemak bay at the glaciers.

Wife got final doctors sign off last tuesday for light lifting. No cancer and life is looking very good atm!

Sure you gonna be hearing more questions from me soon but for now thanks again all! Truly a very helpfull informative place you have here!

Last edited by socal4now; 07-11-2009 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: wifes health update
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,898,448 times
Look forward to seeing you on here while you're HERE.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Look forward to seeing you on here while you're HERE.
You can count on that! Check back in a year and i just might be the CD home brewing expert LOL

Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,170,637 times
Poor ebil kitty..are you bringing 2 vehicles or 1,... you are going to be a cruising!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Poor ebil kitty..are you bringing 2 vehicles or 1,... you are going to be a cruising!
LOL i dont know how i managed this but we are bringing 3 vehicles. My brother and his daughter are coming to help with the unloading (and a small vacation after). The best news is ebil kitty will be riding with my wife! Im driving the u-hual. Ebil kitty is mad at me anyways. I made her get shots at the vet today. She attacked the vet but the little wimp waited until after i locked her back in her carrier to attack. Up to then she just growled a lot.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,170,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
LOL i dont know how i managed this but we are bringing 3 vehicles. My brother and his daughter are coming to help with the unloading (and a small vacation after). The best news is ebil kitty will be riding with my wife! Im driving the u-hual. Ebil kitty is mad at me anyways. I made her get shots at the vet today. She attacked the vet but the little wimp waited until after i locked her back in her carrier to attack. Up to then she just growled a lot.
That is one bad kitty....

Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM

20 posts, read 87,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I lived in San Francisco before. However, I was born and spent my childhood in Alaska. After moving around a lot, I'm back in Alaska part time now.

The transition may be hard, it depends on if you enjoyed living in a big city or not.

I miss being able to walk to an authentic ethnic restaurant from my house, followed by a bar and then a night club. Than having the option to just wave a taxi to get back home. However, you will really appreciate the fresh air and the many outdoor opportunities without having to drive an hour outside the city. For me, I couldn't live only in Alaska at my present age. I enjoy it while I'm here, but I am also happy when I get to leave. I love city lights, sound of cars and people everywhere etc...maybe when I reach retirement age, Alaska will be more appealing to me. It definitely is a beautiful state though!
I can definitely understand all that. I think that is one of (if not the only) things that may make the transition a bit hard. I love the convenience of the city but have wanted to move somewhere a bit slow-paced for years. I guess only time will tell

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 87,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I moved to Fairbanks from Boston (am originally from Fort Worth). Having always been a city girl, it was a hard adjustment - in fact I'm leaving. However, the hardest adjustment was actually the weather and that's the real reason I'm leaving. Getting used to living in a small town and an isolated place is hard too - but I found enough activities to keep me busy. There are tons of organizations, clubs, etc... up here. Also, the traffic is almost nonexistent. There isn't much shopping and the dining is outrageously priced compared to most big cities of the lower 48. So, it will be an adjustment, but being involved in civic organizations over endless shopping and dining is a good thing. When I move back to Texas, it's not that I won't enjoy the ample shopping and dining, but I won't shop as much for "entertainment." But seriously, if you sing, play an instrument, take up a sport, want to learn a martial art, knit, sew, paint, do pottery, etc... you can find a group of like minded people and have a social life up here. While it's hard to find STYLISH furniture and clothing up here, it is not hard to find the ESSENTIALS you need to live.

I wouldn't move here without a job of some kind. Okay, so I did 6 years ago - I moved because I came up here and married a guy I met on the internet. And I can't be too critical of cold moves in general, because although we're both applying for jobs in the Austin area, we will move the first week of August either way. But then I feel so awful in the winter, I don't think I could stay employed another winter here at the job I have, so I'm far more likely to make ends meet in a sunnier place. The last 2 winters when I went outside, I cried when I had to get back on the plane and go back to winter because 2 weeks away from the cold and dark is not enough. Seriously, for an outsider coming here, I think the climate will likely be the biggest issue.
I am wondering how major of a change it will be from Chicago winters. I have been told that Alaska doesn't get ice storms like we do.. is that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska