U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM

21,009 posts, read 22,145,712 times
This should be a sticky....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,410,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
time distortion caused by refeer madness
Reefer Madness, what a classic.

YouTube - Reefer Madness Trailer Great marijuana movie

Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
Default City full of jerks

I agree with you Leto, I was born and raised in alaska, and I've been to anchorage many many MANY times, and I now unfortunately live here for nursing school. It's an awful place, I've need encountered so many rude people, terrible drivers and just general bad experiences IN MY LIFE! I came here from Fairbanks and I thought it was bad there, I never thought I would ever miss Fairbanks until I came here. It seems every time I come out to my car there is a new ding that someone left without taking any responsibility for!! No matter how far away I park from the other cars, there's always some jerk who just can't park to save their lives and hit my car without a second thought. I'd never been tailgated so many times, and when you put on the turn signal to switch lanes the person behind me almost ALWAYS speeds up so I CAN'T get in, ALWAYS, the the past 8 months there has only about 2 times when this hasn't happened. I've never hated a city so much, and I usually LOVE the city! It's usually fun and exciting, but not this city! This city is an awful place, ugly, dirty and full of jerks. I would NEVER raise a child here EVER! Leto, you hit the nail right on the head, it's a disgusting place and I would never recommend a family to live here with their children. Not to mention the racism is through the roof, I hear racist slurs coming from the people I least expect, college professors, bankers, police officers, the list goes on and on. I can see no way even the best of parents could raise a good child here. Also, the weed smoking this is right on, and the rape, I hear about someone being raped all over the place, its terrifying! I don't even go out after dark anymore, and thats not easy since it gets dark so early here. Anchorage Alaska is truly hell on earth. I can't WAIT to get out of this awful place, I am transferring to UAF ASAP!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 AM

14,872 posts, read 24,702,769 times
So what your trying to say is...you don't like Anchorage?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 AM

11,764 posts, read 17,942,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So what your trying to say is...you don't like Anchorage?
Or Fairbanks apparently... Maybe a move to SE is in your future...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 PM

17,549 posts, read 11,179,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover View Post
... and the rape, I hear about someone being raped all over the place, its terrifying! I don't even go out after dark anymore, and thats not easy since it gets dark so early here. Anchorage Alaska is truly hell on earth. I can't WAIT to get out of this awful place, I am transferring to UAF ASAP!
Jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Fairbanks has an even higher per capita rape ratio than Anchorage.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,171,729 times
Maybe it's that it's too cold to walk around so you don't have to worry about getting pounced on when you are just trying to get from point a to point b.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM

5,154 posts, read 9,052,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Or Fairbanks apparently... Maybe a move to SE is in your future...
Nah, the drivers here are about as bad. You get the same door dings from careless door openers.

One reason why people speed up just before you want to change lanes is because so many people think they own the road. They'll move over to the fast lane just because they want to make a left turn 1 to 5 miles up the road and continue to drive 45-50 mph. I stopped counting the number of times somebody pulled in front of me, when absolutely no one was behind me, causing me to change lanes to pass.

The best way to avoid these hassles is to drive defensively. Anticipate what the other driver might do and get in front of him before he does it or slow down if that's the best option. Anticipate when you need to merge and either speed up to get to that bigger hole or slow down to pull in after that fast approaching car. Do this well before you need to merge in heavy traffic. And of course, adjust for winter conditions, however, just because there's snow/ice on the side of the road, it doesn't mean you have to drive like there's snow/ice on the road when the road is bear and wet.

As to rapes in Alaska, I believe there are few stranger rapes. Most victims know the rapist, be it a family member, friend or acquaintance. As long as you can trust the people you know, you'll be safe provided you take normal precautions.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM

852 posts, read 1,089,331 times
Whatcha mean akck, there's no bad drivers where I live. Well, sometimes you have to sit and wait while the person in the car in front of you visits with the person in the oncoming lane - of course you can always get out of your car and go make sure it's not you they're talking about.

The best thing about living in a small rural island village is that you know everyone. Bad guys are run out of town pretty darn quick.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:45 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,757,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover View Post
I agree with you Leto, I was born and raised in alaska, and I've been to anchorage many many MANY times, and I now unfortunately live here for nursing school. It's an awful place, I've need encountered so many rude people, terrible drivers and just general bad experiences IN MY LIFE! I came here from Fairbanks and I thought it was bad there, I never thought I would ever miss Fairbanks until I came here. It seems every time I come out to my car there is a new ding that someone left without taking any responsibility for!! No matter how far away I park from the other cars, there's always some jerk who just can't park to save their lives and hit my car without a second thought. I'd never been tailgated so many times, and when you put on the turn signal to switch lanes the person behind me almost ALWAYS speeds up so I CAN'T get in, ALWAYS, the the past 8 months there has only about 2 times when this hasn't happened. I've never hated a city so much, and I usually LOVE the city! It's usually fun and exciting, but not this city! This city is an awful place, ugly, dirty and full of jerks. I would NEVER raise a child here EVER! Leto, you hit the nail right on the head, it's a disgusting place and I would never recommend a family to live here with their children. Not to mention the racism is through the roof, I hear racist slurs coming from the people I least expect, college professors, bankers, police officers, the list goes on and on. I can see no way even the best of parents could raise a good child here. Also, the weed smoking this is right on, and the rape, I hear about someone being raped all over the place, its terrifying! I don't even go out after dark anymore, and thats not easy since it gets dark so early here. Anchorage Alaska is truly hell on earth. I can't WAIT to get out of this awful place, I am transferring to UAF ASAP!
Well having grown up in the Anchorage area, living up by Fairbanks now (Nenana) and spend a few months a year in Anchorage a year getting our boats ready for the season.

As bad as you may think Anchorage is, it is nothing compared to many of the towns in the lower 48. You need to go there for a bit and realize what you have there... Having said that, I much prefer the Fairbanks area myself. Maybe the Kenai area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska